• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Resource icon

Resource [Alpha] Pokémon PBS Editor v0.1 0.1

gameguy39

Rookie
gameguy39 submitted a new resource:

[Alpha] Pokémon PBS Editor v0.1 - A PBS Editor for creating Pokémon in essentials and exporting in the correct format.

Disclaimer​

This is my first real-world Python application, so bear with me if there are any bugs.

This is an alpha version of the PBS editor and is the most basic thing I could put together before I felt comfortable posting it online. The GUI is a bit iffy, but that will be updated as I go along.

Should you have any issues, please refer to the forum or github source in order to explain any bugs or issues or requests for features.

How to Use​

Read more about this resource...

4AllNighterGrinder64

4 Sleepless nights to update to Teal Mask Part 1
From my first impressions of this alpha build, I find its user experience to be much better than using Notepad++ to edit Pokémon data. A problem I found from poking around was when I loaded in pokemon_forms.txt. For my project’s needs, I want the Pokémon data packs to be separate from the core pokemon.txt, because it makes things easier to organize and easier to track down issues the debug log catches. This screenshot is a backup of my project’s PBS files, which have been placed in the pbs files folder that comes with the app:

Capture1.PNG

When I loaded in pokemon_forms.txt, I got this error message:
Capture.PNG

And this is the arrangement of my PBS data for pokemon.txt and pokemon_forms.txt for Mega Venusaur,:
pokemon.txt Venusaur Type listing.PNG

pokemon_forms.txt Mega Venusaur Type Listing inherited from Base Venusaur.PNG

I assume that this error happens because the app expects a Pokémon in this txt file to have a type. The Pokémon in this situation is Mega Venusaur, whose type is already set in its base form in pokemon.txt, as Grass/Poison. So, the problem is that the app can’t recognize when a PBS text file is using data that already exists in a separate text file. While it’s fine to have all Pokémon data contained within one singular pokemon.txt file, the issue with this is that it can cause problems if a resource pack gets an update, and users update their projects. It can cause long-term headaches to have to use one singular pokemon.txt file for all Pokémon. If the issue is too complex to fix, then that’s understandable as I imagine it’s not easy to have the app be able to recognize when a pokemon_forms.txt file is linked to data that exists in pokemon.txt. Let alone Gen 9 PBS data packs or custom PBS data packs that contain brand-new Pokémon. And I can simply fix the error I encountered by simply giving Mega Venusaur a type. The reason I am pointing out this problem is that I am thinking of people whose project needs mean they need to edit Pokémon in bulk and don’t want to have to manually add to a typing on another Pokémon form, so they can be efficient with time.

I hope for the best in this app’s alpha state, because if further developed, this app will be a great tool for developers, who find editing Base Stats and much more difficult when using a code editor such as Notepad++. The only thing I think an app like this should have the functionality of loading in and chaining together multiple PBS text files, but not condensing them all into one singular PBS text file. So, developers who want to use V21.1’s ability to use dedicated PBS files that link to pokemon.txt, abilities.txt, and moves.txt are still able to update resource packs without causing issues to a project’s stability. I am also aware that this problem I encountered can be fixed by manually going through every Mega Pokémon form whose type does not change and adding in the typing listing. But I think it could be a nice addition in an update or new version of this app. So people can easily edit Pokemon data, without going through extra steps to get the editor to work.

gameguy39

Rookie
From my first impressions of this alpha build, I find its user experience to be much better than using Notepad++ to edit Pokémon data. A problem I found from poking around was when I loaded in pokemon_forms.txt. For my project’s needs, I want the Pokémon data packs to be separate from the core pokemon.txt, because it makes things easier to organize and easier to track down issues the debug log catches. This screenshot is a backup of my project’s PBS files, which have been placed in the pbs files folder that comes with the app:

View attachment 25966
When I loaded in pokemon_forms.txt, I got this error message:
View attachment 25967
And this is the arrangement of my PBS data for pokemon.txt and pokemon_forms.txt for Mega Venusaur,:
View attachment 25970
View attachment 25969
I assume that this error happens because the app expects a Pokémon in this txt file to have a type. The Pokémon in this situation is Mega Venusaur, whose type is already set in its base form in pokemon.txt, as Grass/Poison. So, the problem is that the app can’t recognize when a PBS text file is using data that already exists in a separate text file. While it’s fine to have all Pokémon data contained within one singular pokemon.txt file, the issue with this is that it can cause problems if a resource pack gets an update, and users update their projects. It can cause long-term headaches to have to use one singular pokemon.txt file for all Pokémon. If the issue is too complex to fix, then that’s understandable as I imagine it’s not easy to have the app be able to recognize when a pokemon_forms.txt file is linked to data that exists in pokemon.txt. Let alone Gen 9 PBS data packs or custom PBS data packs that contain brand-new Pokémon. And I can simply fix the error I encountered by simply giving Mega Venusaur a type. The reason I am pointing out this problem is that I am thinking of people whose project needs mean they need to edit Pokémon in bulk and don’t want to have to manually add to a typing on another Pokémon form, so they can be efficient with time.

I hope for the best in this app’s alpha state, because if further developed, this app will be a great tool for developers, who find editing Base Stats and much more difficult when using a code editor such as Notepad++. The only thing I think an app like this should have the functionality of loading in and chaining together multiple PBS text files, but not condensing them all into one singular PBS text file. So, developers who want to use V21.1’s ability to use dedicated PBS files that link to pokemon.txt, abilities.txt, and moves.txt are still able to update resource packs without causing issues to a project’s stability. I am also aware that this problem I encountered can be fixed by manually going through every Mega Pokémon form whose type does not change and adding in the typing listing. But I think it could be a nice addition in an update or new version of this app. So people can easily edit Pokemon data, without going through extra steps to get the editor to work.
Ah I see. The reason you are encountering the error when importing the forms is that the PBS file does not include the "Name =" and "Types = "and only has the "Form Name = " line. The program checks for the name as a required attribute. That is something I will add to my list of things to change so that it will be possible to do forms.

Haruto59

Rookie
I haven't run into this error before. Do you know in particular what you did? Are there steps for me to reproduce this error on my end?
I ve just extracted the folder of the tool and tried to run it.
I didn't do any others steps

Back