• Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly! You can learn how to add images to your posts here.

Other Shiny and Super Shinys

This thread's author wants feedback. Be constructive.

Willøw

Mew and Slither Wing Fan
Basically I intend to do something that differentiates Super Shinys from normal Shinys, like some different mechanic for them or make them have at least 3 perfect EV's since traditionally they are purely cosmetic.

But here's the thing, would making Shinys have at least 2 perfect EV's while Supers have 3 or more perfect EV's, would that be wrong? (I know PokeFallen does this to Shinys)

Also, I'd like the Supers to have mechanics or things that are unique to them, not just the particle animation when entering the field.

I want opinion on this, do I leave the Super Shinys only as cosmetics or do I try to make them a different variant with things exclusive to them?

There are people who think that making Shinys stronger than normal is wrong, that's why my doubt.

Upvote 0

LinKazamine

Champion
Well, at the end of the day, you are the one that decides what is done with them in your projects and if someone doesn't like that aspect of the game, they can choose not to play the game or not use the mechanic.

I honestly would prefer shiny and super shiny to remain a cosmetic difference but that is my personal decision. You can have them be something more than just a different color and even make those differences part of the game's plot in a similar way as shadow pokemon were in Colosseum and XD.

As for how to differentiate shiny and super shiny. Here are some ideas:
  • One way, as you say, could be the amount of perfect IV they have.
  • Another similar way could be the amount of EV they can gain. For example: normal colored can get 300, shiny can get 350 and super shiny can get 400.
  • You could also have it so they are obtained (from catching them, receiving them from a trade or simply from an egg) with one or more moves their species can't learn in any way.
  • They always have their hidden ability.
  • They have a unique ability that their normal or shiny counterparts can't get.
  • If the species only has one type, they have a second one. If the species has two types, one of them is different.
  • They have slightly different stats. For example, the super shiny has 65 of speed while the normal one has 63.
  • Their attacks cause some more damage but they are also a bit more vulnerable.
  • They have a different mega or gigantamax than the normal or shiny versions.
  • They have a unique z-move.
For the ones in bold, you would maybe need to define a form just for that and change the pokemon to this form if they are super shiny.

Willøw

Mew and Slither Wing Fan
Well, at the end of the day, you are the one that decides what is done with them in your projects and if someone doesn't like that aspect of the game, they can choose not to play the game or not use the mechanic.

I honestly would prefer shiny and super shiny to remain a cosmetic difference but that is my personal decision. You can have them be something more than just a different color and even make those differences part of the game's plot in a similar way as shadow pokemon were in Colosseum and XD.

As for how to differentiate shiny and super shiny. Here are some ideas:
  • One way, as you say, could be the amount of perfect IV they have.
  • Another similar way could be the amount of EV they can gain. For example: normal colored can get 300, shiny can get 350 and super shiny can get 400.
  • You could also have it so they are obtained (from catching them, receiving them from a trade or simply from an egg) with one or more moves their species can't learn in any way.
  • They always have their hidden ability.
  • They have a unique ability that their normal or shiny counterparts can't get.
  • If the species only has one type, they have a second one. If the species has two types, one of them is different.
  • They have slightly different stats. For example, the super shiny has 65 of speed while the normal one has 63.
  • Their attacks cause some more damage but they are also a bit more vulnerable.
  • They have a different mega or gigantamax than the normal or shiny versions.
  • They have a unique z-move.
For the ones in bold, you would maybe need to define a form just for that and change the pokemon to this form if they are super shiny.
the idea about EVs was more because of PokeFallen, I'll probably think about it at some point
You've got some good points, my idea is to encourage the capture of Shinys since there's not much reason to catch them other than just to collect.
But I appreciate the ideas, I'll look into them when I'm focusing on them

Back