• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Pokemon Creole early work

Flaaffic

Rookie
Hi there folks! I've been making some significant progress on my game so far, and I was wondering if anyone can provide me some feedback/pointers on how I can improve what I've got so far. Pokemon Creole is being designed by myself with the help of several friends from my local game store who are constantly contributing helpful ideas and who will eventually be my core playtesting group. So far, I've designed the regions Pokedex, story, characters, towns and cities, intro, and a few sprites. Check out what I've got and lets chat about it! The second version of my professor is just another design I came up with, perhaps for his trainer battle! :3 Below is a link to my intro!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWiffRLIFIw

IntroOak.png
introMarill.png
introBoy.png
introGirl.png
IntroOak2.png

Upvote 0

nomists

Novice
I think you've done a nice job on the backdrop of the title screen! The doctor sprite on the left also looks quite nice and works.

With that being said, I'm constantly trying to get better at spriting myself, and would like to throw out some things that I noticed that may help the overall quality of your sprites.

1. Your duck sprite is a little pale and light and doesn't really stand out. There are two issues here:
  • The sprite needs a fuller outline. In general, black outlines really help sprites pop out. In Pokémon, the outline is not always black (i.e., they'll have other darker colors intermingled with black). This can work but as a baseline I would recommend starting with a black outline and then changing the black outline to those darker colors as looks best.
  • Your shades of the same color tend to be too close to each other. I think you have something like five green colors for the head, and they're all mostly similar shades. Alternatively, I would recommend having fewer colors that are more distinct from each other. So, you don't want really light green, lighter green, light green, green, slightly darker green, darker green, dark green. Rather, you want light green, green, and dark green.
Below, I've done a quick edit of the duck sprite. I added a black outline, reduced your green colors to three and replaced them, made the dark brown color a darker brown, and changed your grays to some shades of yellow. Here is the result:

1702140004436.png

2. Your anatomy needs some work. When you're spriting, it doesn't seem like you're imagining what the object would look like in three dimensional space, but rather you're just filling in the palette with what should be there based on context. So, you know a leg should be below the hip, so you sprite a leg there. An side effect of this approach is that the anatomy of your image gets skewed, because you're just filling the second with body parts without fully considering the angle in three dimension space.

Let's look at the girl for instance. Her top half is mostly fine, but there's some confusion with her hips and legs.

1702140829628.png

Based on how her hips are angle, her left leg should be in front and towards the camera. You do this well to begin with! However, her foot then bends at a weird angle and goes completely backwards, and I'm not quite sure what her knee is doing. By contrast, her right leg starts out in the back, as it should, but then the bottom of the leg juts forward in front of the other leg. It's almost like she's doing the splits, when you consider the anatomy.

To correct this, I would suggest drawing sketches of your characters first before spriting over them because it's a lot easier to correct a sketch and less frustrating than scrapping a fully drawn body part later on. That said, I think it's still possible for you to edit sprites and combine them, but I'd recommend just being more aware of the angles and anatomy if you decide on that route.

Anyway, hope this is helpful and not too discouraging! Your project looks promising and I wish you the best of luck!

Back