• Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly! You can learn how to add images to your posts here.

How fast can the game truly get?

SuperSpyroDragon64

Cooltrainer
After looking up Speed Booster patches for Pokemon Emerald like this one https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/8144/ I started to think...

Just how fast can Pokemon get?

With instant text speed, disabled battle animations, instant HP and EXP bar speed, increased overworld movement speed, disabled HM animations, HM obstacles playing their crumbling rock/cut tree animation without freezing you or the rest of the world, enabling run and bike indoors, and letting you hold B when biking to increase the speed further, we've gotten pretty fast. Add skippable cutscenes like in Kingdom Hearts (hell, even Fast Forwarding cutscenes like in Persona 5 is a huge improvement) speeds things up more.

But battles will still slowly drag graphics around at the start of them and slowly tell you how many Pokemon the foe has and there's an animation for each Pokeball sending a Pokemon out, which is pointless as Pokemon don't have animations for being sent out any more. Battles will still separate the notification that you attacked, the animation of an enemy being attacked, the enemy losing health, a possible effectiveness notification, a possible number of hits notification, and a possible faint message, and the Pokemon fainting. That takes ages and could be fixed to happen as quickly as it does in RPGs like Final Fantasy X and Persona 5. Battle screens still encourage you to fight, open your bag, switch a Pokemon, or run, and then select one of four attacks, all with a yes/no option, even though you could speed things up by mapping the four attacks, bag, run, and switch to different buttons like Persona 5. Targets in double/triple battles could also be selected with buttons instead of a cursor and yes/no button. The EXP Gain portion of battles could be truncated by only showing the level up animation once even if you gain multiple levels. The level up screen could also show your stats and gained stats at the same time like in Fire Emblem instead of making you double tap A. The win/loss screen could also be sped up and turned into a stylish animation that shows more at once. EXP gain, money gain, and enemy message, all at once. Finally, building warps could be altered to instantly show the interior/exterior like many other games already do, seamlessly turning the exterior black and removing the top layer of the interior's building so you can see inside it.

Am I missing anything?

-FL-

Pokémon Island Creator
  • Fades, not only building warps but screens opening and closing. I reduced fades duration in my game.
  • When battle starts, the encounter animation (I guess that slowly drag graphics around at the start mentioned by you is when character backsprite appears).
  • Surf speed/turbo.
  • Small things like speed of switching pokémon in the party menu.

Back