• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Favorite Incomplete Fan Games?

floodryan123

Trainer
For a long time I dismissed playing games that weren't complete but I want to move past that prejudice. Any of you guys have any favorite games that have a decent amount of content but aren't finished?

-FL-

Pokémon Island Creator
Splice. Instead of Gym story, it is about mechanical science vs biologically science where you can choose a team and story (and places) change. Very good Fakemon/regionals. This is the most beautiful game with gen 3 overworld graphic style that I had played.

The gameplay is long enough. My savefile has 15 hours,

floodryan123

Trainer
Splice. Instead of Gym story, it is about mechanical science vs biologically science where you can choose a team and story (and places) change. Very good Fakemon/regionals. This is the most beautiful game with gen 3 overworld graphic style that I had played.

The gameplay is long enough. My savefile has 15 hours,
cool ill look into it

QuahogtheCreator

Novice
I Love Pokemon Procyon and Deneb they were both my favorite incomplete games and it has more features, and new moves are very cool but it is Japanese ROM Hack

WanderingTrainer

Novice
https://eeveeexpo.com/threads/3522/#post-62815 Dawn of the rockets was pretty cool, if Rocket Red left you hungry for more

https://www.pokeharbor.com/2021/09/pokemon-apollo/ Pokemon APollo (not related to Opollo) is almost defiently my fav incomplete rom hack, it set the stage for Rocket Red and it feels like it could have been completed with aother update, just have Giovanni sucessful take over and subude Silph Co with your help and call it done.

https://pokemonclockwork.wixsite.com/clockworkgame/home was a pretty fun game, harder than average without being try hard, decent story

Faislittlewhiteraven

Novice
I'm a huge fan of Pokemon Rejuvenation, Pokemon Desolation and Pokemon Ashen Frost.
All three are very dialogue/cutscene heavy, are on the darker/edgier side (Rejuvenation is sort of a Dark SciFi/Fantasy plot, Desolation alternates between 'gritty gang warfare' and 'cosmic horror/mindscrew', and Ashen Frost is 'solving murder mysteries and pissing off very dangerous mafia types who don't care for that' so I find the dark and edgy usually works well in most cases but it can be a bit jarring if you're after Pokemon's more idealistic tone and NPCs), and tend to be on the tougher side in terms of both battles and puzzles though thankfully none of those three are as crushing as Pokemon Reborn the game that inspired them if you go for easier difficulties or use some of the built in passwords (Reborn btw if you've never played it is a complete game with a ton of really great features, all mons from gens 1 to 7 and has a ton of amazing fan made mods, but holy hell is it both difficult and edgy so er be warned in case you ever go check it out XD).
Pokemon Empire is also really good if you like post war political plotlines but well, it shifts up a LOT of moves and abilities, plus it's early game is horrifically difficult so I have trouble recommending it even though I love all of that sort of thing.

All the above games have at least 30 to 40 hours of gameplay I think (I'm bad at hour crunching but like, they're among some of the longest fangames out there) and they've still got plenty of game left to be released so... Yeah. They're great and I wish more people would try them even if I do understand why they're so niche~ XD

I'm also rather fond of Pokemon Apex which is around... 20 hours long? Maybe? Been quite a while since I last played it and IDK if its still updating even but it had a very unique tone to it (slightly darkish and edgyish but honestly it more felt like I was playing a completely different RPG series that just happened to have Pokemon in it than a Pokemon game specifically) so I'd say its worth checking out even if its very odd in its tone and premise (starts 'mundane slice of life' then becomes a 'how do I get home' old school isekai with an focus on puzzles and enduring things with minimal healing opportunities and Pokemon options, so... Yeah. Very different but nice if you're wanting something new).

...And I'm struggling to think of great unfinished games that aren't that 'unfinished in their tagging on this site only' (such as the short games Pokemon: Ghosts of Knowledge, pre:COGNITION, and Tales of the Outskirt Stand) or barely have any content (like the 'most likely dead' games of Phoenix Rising, Pokemon Sage and SOLACE, as well as Pokemon Flux being made by the same team who made Pokemon Uranium) so...

Oh! For much less story/difficulty focus a good one might be Pokemon Tectonic. I haven't finished playing it yet so idk how many hours it has but its definitely got a few and its considerably lighter fair than most of the 'Reborn-esc' games I favor so I'd recommend checking it out if more standard Pokemon tone/difficulty is more your cup of tea (has a reworked stat modification system that takes a bit of adjusting to if you're heavily into EVs and IVs but its easy to use and makes team adjusting significantly easier so honestly I'd recommend the game for that alone).

So yeah. That's all the games I could think off of the top of my head (I think I need to play more longer unfinished games myself now that I'm looking my pitiful list over XD) and... Yeah. Hope this was useful to you <3

GubGar

Connoisseur of Minigames and Sidequests.
Pokemon Flux currently only has episode 1, but it feels ridiculously polished and fun. Great Fakemon, and great game feel.

Pokemon Ghosts of Knowledge: Kensho isn't very long either, but is one of the best examples of exploration-focused gameplay I've experienced in a fangame.

And an older one; Phoenix Rising, is what I feel like the gold standard for just a Really Good Fangame is. Plays well, some cool regionals, and some fun tweaks to the core gameplay.

In terms of enjoyment I'd put it at Flux > Ghosts of Knowledge: Kensho > Phoenix Rising, but that's personal preference and they all rank in my top favorite overall fangames.

floodryan123

Trainer
Pokemon Flux currently only has episode 1, but it feels ridiculously polished and fun. Great Fakemon, and great game feel.

Pokemon Ghosts of Knowledge: Kensho isn't very long either, but is one of the best examples of exploration-focused gameplay I've experienced in a fangame.

And an older one; Phoenix Rising, is what I feel like the gold standard for just a Really Good Fangame is. Plays well, some cool regionals, and some fun tweaks to the core gameplay.

In terms of enjoyment I'd put it at Flux > Ghosts of Knowledge: Kensho > Phoenix Rising, but that's personal preference and they all rank in my top favorite overall fangames.
nice

Harvestable

Stinky Little Man
I really like Pokemon Coral! It already gets plenty of bonus points for being a gen 2 romhack with Pokemon from later generations (with Crystal-style battle intro animations, no less!), but the custom music and graphics really set it apart. The lava surfing mechanic is a fun feature, too, and it helped to make exploring what would've normally been another boring cave/mountain area a lot more interesting. It only goes up to the fourth gym as of right now, though, with the last update being the end of last year. Here's hoping we're surprised with another one soon!

PokeWilds is also worth mentioning, but it's such a non-traditional game that I'm not sure if I can call it incomplete or not? The devs have said it's still in Beta, but it already feels like a fairly complete experience if you decide to go after all the legendaries. It plays a bit like Minecraft since it's completely open world with terraformable terrain and a crafting system. There's even a modding community on the Discord! I haven't delved into it much myself, but I know the graphical overhauls are very popular.

Ooh, and Ashen Frost! It's easily one of the best games I played in 2022. I ended up really loving the characters and setting, to the point that I dragged my feet as much as possible towards the end of the demo because I didn't want it to be over. The overall story and writing are also so good that even most of the sidequests are fun and memorable! To say that I'm eagerly waiting for the next major update would be an understatement, haha.

floodryan123

Trainer
I really like Pokemon Coral! It already gets plenty of bonus points for being a gen 2 romhack with Pokemon from later generations (with Crystal-style battle intro animations, no less!), but the custom music and graphics really set it apart. The lava surfing mechanic is a fun feature, too, and it helped to make exploring what would've normally been another boring cave/mountain area a lot more interesting. It only goes up to the fourth gym as of right now, though, with the last update being the end of last year. Here's hoping we're surprised with another one soon!

PokeWilds is also worth mentioning, but it's such a non-traditional game that I'm not sure if I can call it incomplete or not? The devs have said it's still in Beta, but it already feels like a fairly complete experience if you decide to go after all the legendaries. It plays a bit like Minecraft since it's completely open world with terraformable terrain and a crafting system. There's even a modding community on the Discord! I haven't delved into it much myself, but I know the graphical overhauls are very popular.

Ooh, and Ashen Frost! It's easily one of the best games I played in 2022. I ended up really loving the characters and setting, to the point that I dragged my feet as much as possible towards the end of the demo because I didn't want it to be over. The overall story and writing are also so good that even most of the sidequests are fun and memorable! To say that I'm eagerly waiting for the next major update would be an understatement, haha.
I think I've heard of coral its a rom hack right? Yea I also like the gen 2 style.

WIlds probably isn't my kind of pokemon game but I've heard good things about Ashen Frost. I usually play for the pokemon gameplay is it good in ashen frost?

Harvestable

Stinky Little Man
Yeah, it has solid Pokemon gameplay. The big fights are genuinely pretty hard, and there are a lot of Pokemon available to use. My favorite part are the EV trainers which makes it incredibly easy and quick to max them out the way you want. They're not all available from the start, but I think there's also an easy way to reset EVs as well. Definitely a "why doesn't every game have this" kind of feature!

safr

Elite Trainer
How to survive Pokémon Journey by @Caruban , it's not continued because caruban don't have time i hope he is healthy. priceless and still the only one of its own genre, https://eeveeexpo.com/threads/5409/

I link you to caruban profile so if you are dev and making pokémon game you can check caruban profile because caruban have some good free resources

Back