• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

In Development Pokemon Mahogany Obsidian Version

This project is a work in progress. The content is subject to change, and not finished yet.
Project Status
Work in Progress
Project Version
TitleScreen.png

Canyona 1.0 Release (Pokémon Essentials 19.1)
In Pokémon Mahogany Obsidian, you play as a high ranking member of the Pokémon Ranger Service in Hoenn, put on assignment in a new region. Forced to relinquish your Pokémon to protect the flora and fauna of the region, you arrive in the state of Canyona of the Awhon region.

In the game, you complete missions in a main-story plotline to advance to the next state; however, side quests occur throughout the world. These do not affect the main story, but allow you to decide which journey you'd like to take- will you be the farmer, collecting berries around the region? Will you be the savior that helps the residents of Awhon? Maybe you want to be a treasure hunter, or maybe you just want to explore the world, finding all the secrets spread throughout- it's all up to you.
In this open-world take on a Pokémon game, my primary mission is to strike the perfect balance between familiarity and discovery.

Some key features of this game:
  • Open World. Awhon is based on my hometown of Yosemite, and my childhood memories of running around pretending to catch Pokémon. I truly hope to capture that spirit of adventure in this project.
  • New types. I wanted to change the meta of battling to capture that feeling of playing your first Pokémon game, figuring out the type matchups, and learning how those types affected the world.
  • Side Quests. There are a lot of people that need your help! Being a Pokémon Ranger, you are sworn to protect the flora, fauna, and people of the region.
  • No more gyms. Instead, once you prove your strength, you receive a state seal from that states Ranger Operative. While yes, this is a battle similar to a gym, there is no specific building where you are confined by a "gym challenge".
  • Colored Pokeballs. This is purely aesthetic, but in the game, you can purchase Pokeballs at different Pokeball vendors throughout the world.

When planning this game, I couldn't stop thinking about Gen 5, and it's harder-than-ever reset to the franchise, and it had me wondering; what would Pokémon, as a game, look like if it were pushed beyond the standard conventions? Pokémon Mahogany Obsidian acts as the realization of a thought experiment.

With that being said, here are some in-game screenshots. Please note, it's just me making this game, so a lot of the sprites are placeholders- and forgive for the darkness, I took these at night.
Screenshot1.png

This is an area north of the first city, the structure is an Umucha (Miwok Bark House)

Screenshot2.png

This is a look at the Battle UI I made. It's meant to be consistent with the other UI I've made.
Also, I'm not a spriter/pixel artist in the slightest, but I'm really proud of this sprite:
It's "Ew'tichu", an Electric/Rock type pikaclone. It eats static and magnetic energy, storing it in the gems on its body. "Ew'ti" is Miwok for Deer, and it's based on a Fawn.

Screenshot3.png

Example of some Colored Pokeballs
Screenshot4.png

My favorite area, Gorge Canyon, and the new unown form, based on Miwok basket patterns.

This wouldn't be anywhere near possible without the help of some incredibly talented people.

Tileset (Amalgamation of tilesets created by:)
Shiney570, Phyromantical, UltimoSpriter, BabyDialga, Akizakura16, Degel, Lightbulb15, Alucus, Kyle Dove, Dewitty and CNC, zetavares852, Kyle-Dove, Flurmimon, Diegotoon20

Autotiles:
Hek-el-grande (Waterfall),
Dormdude (Lava)
Epicday, BoOmxBiG,Rayquaza-dot (BW Water Autotile)

Sprites:
Wergan and ImZero (Overworld Items)
Lichenprincess (Team Rocket Gen V Overworld) [Base]

Smogon X/Y Sprite Project
(Individual Credits:
View: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gn0UORn-unvcbUeQhQdEBz0ADNcH49BZZqQ1dpXm9eo/edit#gid=0
)

Smogon Sun/Moon Sprite Project
(Individual Credits:
View: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FMcHbSKEWZc7v2Ur4cyJjT_NhO0gqXyU9kDhsOQhlBQ/edit#gid=0
)

Fakemon: (Special thanks to the Fakemon Festival Pack)
Magiscarf, Scotsman, PrincessPhoenix

Extra Special thanks to:

DeepBlue PacificWaves, Shashu-Greninja, Golisopod User (BW Party Screen)

EBDX:
Sprites:
  • GameFreak | Original sprites from B/W/2 games
  • Pokecheck.org | Ripping the sprites from B2/W2 roms
  • PinkCatDragon | GIF to PNG conversion
  • Tebited15, WolfPP, Issei Hyoudou, Nasasu, luckygirl88 | B/W styled trainer Red/Leaf sprites
  • WolfPP | B/W styled trainer Leaf sprite
  • Spriters-Resource (redblueyellow), Damien, WolfPP | Gen 5 ball sprites
Sound Effects:
  • GameFreak | Original sound effects from B/W/2 games
  • BadSamaritan | Ripping the sound effects
Other:
  • Luka S.J. | Elite Battle: DX
  • Pokémon Essentials | Base system
  • Maruno, Marin, Golisopod User | General help, support, and bouncing off ideas
  • PinkCatDragon | GIF to PNG conversion

Luka S.J (Fancy Badges, Luka's Scripting Utilities, Modular Menu, Modular Title Screen)

DeepBluePacificWaves (BW Storage System) (Graphics)

Golisopod User, Help-14, zingzags, Rayd12smitty, Venom12, mej71, PurpleZaffre, Akizakura16, Thundaga, Armin (Fairies Resource Pack), Maruno (Following Pokemon EX)

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
AvatarMonkeyKirby, Marin, Boushy, MiDas Mike,Brother1440, Near Fantastica, FL., PinkMan, Genzai Kawakami, Popper, Golisopod User, Rataime, help-14, Savordez, IceGod64, SoundSpawn, Jacob O. Wobbrock, the__end, KitsuneKouta, Venom12, Lisa Anthony, Wachunga, Luka S.J.

"mkxp-z" by:
Roza
Based on MKXP by Ancurio et al.

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

If you're at all interested, the game is available at the link below.

Once again, this is a "one-man-band" operation going on here. If you find any bugs, graphical errors, or even if you have suggestions, please let me know!
https://discord.gg/7VurFJtdSc
Join the discord for live updates, and you may even be immortalized in the game! :)

Attachments

• 808_1.gif
    808_1.gif
    88.5 KB · Views: 831
Last edited:

Decimus.CS.21

Rookie
Canyona 1.1 release:

• Minor bug fixes
  • Testing animated and resized doors/buildings.

Updating is simple, the game has the same internal name so save files should transfer over.

Future update (Canyona 2.0) will include:
  • More trainers
  • Map edits and tweaks
  • More Fakemon planned

Also, I'm working on fixing some overworld sprites, and 2.1.0 (The state of Cascade) is currently in planning, with a much more exploration-based map and new fakemon.

Download 1.1.1 here:

katrina48

Novice
im get error at start of game where it ask for name of person

Attachments

• error magh.PNG
    error magh.PNG
    28.4 KB · Views: 15
Back