• Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly! You can learn how to add images to your posts here.

How often do you take inspiration from "Fix my code" threads?

SuperSpyroDragon64

Cooltrainer
There sure are a lot of threads out there where people say "Here is my code, why isn't it working?" or "How do I write the code for this feature correctly?" and it makes me wonder...

How often do people get inspired by the ideas in these threads?

-FL-

Pokémon Island Creator
Sometimes I end up rewritting the entire code and making a resource to help. I guess that Simple HUD, Difficulty Modes, PC Viewer (deprecated) and Quest System (deprecated) born this way.

In 2010-2011, when I was learning ruby+Essentials I copied a lot of answers to txt.

Counting also request without code, a lot of my scripts born this way. List:
(since most of these were made more than 10 year ago, this list isn't 100% accurate)
  1. Unreal Time System
  2. Simple HUD
  3. Pokémon Files by Numbers
  4. Difficulty Modes
  5. Watch in the Pokégear Menu
  6. Triple Triad Booster Pack
  7. Time of Day Introduction (this one was a request in one of my threads)
  8. Game Over
  9. Set The Time (help thread)
And some deprecated others:
  1. PC Viewer
  2. Quest System
  3. Adding a game border
  4. Weather on some places
  5. Edit TMs in pokemon.txt

Last edited:

LinKazamine

Champion
One of my plugins, Pokegear themes, comes from one such thread. And one of the features of two of my plugins (modify the iv of wild pokemon) comes from another thread of someone asking for help about it.

I also took the idea of another thread of modifying a trainer's pokemon's moveset midgame to combine it with the Automatic Level Scaling so gym leader's pokemon keep the move from the TM they give. And modified some code so outside maps with certain tilesets have it modified depending on the season. Not sure if this one counts because I was searching how to do so when I found a "fix my code" thread saying how to do it to imitate the underground of shinnoh.

Just today I made some code to have a sort of weather that changes over time because I saw someone asking for help about it in PokeCommunity. Haven't tested it at all, though. Don't know if I will use it either.

I think I have taken other ideas from "fix my code" threads but I don't remember right now.

Vendily

Elite Trainer
It's a little hard to count, since "Fix my code please" type requests show up with my name in the resource's description, but I show up too often on Relic Castle in general to get a quick search on resources that refer to my help by name. The only one I can find off hand is Kotoro's port of Deep Marsh Tiles to v20.1. Technically, technically, Cable Club fits under that, at least in its original incarnation, as mGriffin approached me to bug test it and port it to v18. And well, look at it now, it's basically my pet project hahaha.
Sometimes I show up without the request part. Woe, code fixes be upon you. :3c

I don't generally post resources for "fix my code" type requests, usually because they are rather specific to a project, or just because I'm helping port or fix someone else's resource, though I do link back to older threads if the same issue comes up again. Project specific features that show up in multiple requests I have to get permission to share if I'm not the lead dev, but only if I'm giving over the original code, or if it's not an official game feature (like ability or move code backported to an earlier version).

The real meat is in "I wish this was a feature" type requests. If you've hung around on the Discord or forums long enough, you'd probably have seen me show up with the full script someone requests (or even just wonders out loud about). My Bank of Mom script is like that, though I've lost track who originally requested it. Same goes for Follower Run Sprites (Mashi) and Damage Scaling (EveDoesStuff). There's probably a few more on my Pastebin, because a lot of scripts I'm too lazy to type up a full thread for (mostly ports to newer versions), and of course, all the smaller snippets done up on the spot that only live in Discord, my various sandbox projects, and the project who's dev asked for it. And I guess one or two that I give over to someone else to finish up, like DarkWolf13's Battle Tower Competitive Style, because he had complained about the limited ability to customize Battle Tower teams, so I gave him like, 95% of the script, and we bug fixed it together.
Heck count me in this mess too, I literally spent a week straight coding day in and out to make Secret Bases Remade. Which probably wasn't super healthy, but that's hyperfocus for you.

Last edited:
Back