• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Affection mechanics: can they be fair?

Astefia

Cooltrainer
I was watching a Let's go playthrough and started thinking about affection machanics of barely holding on or shaking off status effects.
They always felt extremely unfair to me, since they cannot trigger for the opponent.
But can they even be implemented in a way such as they can fairly trigger for the opponent (this can be an awesome story moment!), but are not frustrating to the player?

Vendily

Elite Trainer
So, I have to admit, when it comes to game balance, I don't know much. But I can still look at something and think if it'd be fun.
While it's really easy to remove the specific checks that this is a player's Pokémon, and equally easy to set the happiness for the Pokémon for it to activate in the PBS, I'd personally put some sort of limit on it:
  • A slightly reduced rate, as a 25% endure rate at max friendship, such as for a mon using Return, doesn't sound very fun for the player, and "BS RNG mechanics" (for lack of a better term) should generally favor the player. People are bad at probability calculations, and tend to remember when random stuff does things bad more than when it does the expected result.
  • A cap on the number of times it can activate. (And then the mon gets tired?)
Mind of course that these kinds of effects have to be specifically set up, as no Pokémon has a base friendship high enough to trigger affection effects in the first place.
I'm not sure to what degree such effects need to be telegraphed to the player. On one hand I can see the surprise element of a mon randomly holding on, but there's just as much a chance of the player missing that. If you genuinely want this affection effect for the sake of a cool set piece in a battle, it really should be scripted to always happen (but like, just once per battle).

Back