• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Map First Town + First Route

This thread's author wants feedback on a map. Be constructive.

Xerneas07

Rookie
Hi, here are a very basic first town and first route. This is one of my first Pokémon fangame, so I would enjoy some feedback about was is good / what should be better.
SmallhillTown.PNG
Route1.png

Upvote 0

JogatinandoC

Cooltrainer
Hi, here are a very basic first town and first route. This is one of my first Pokémon fangame, so I would enjoy some feedback about was is good / what should be better. View attachment 20119View attachment 20120
(I'm not an english speaker or a design expert, but here are some tips to help ya)
1. First Town
Overrall, a pretty good base layout. The ideia for this map is pretty solid and good. And I like your cliffs. However, there are so much "empty space"
Empty Space (like the right three trees near player's house, altough I would fufill it a bit more) can be used to give the player a little breath, to be fun or whatever. However, too much of this can make the player confused and you will have a bad level design. I would put trees in the fence path, fufill the "laboratory, add one extra row to the bottom trees and make a path in the left to player's house, to that isolated house (maybe would put that more in the middle) and cover the rest with threes. You could add more to the map, like tiny trees, brush (not the one to wild encounter, the one in player's house), fences, flowers, even a lake (putting an good item is a good way to put a optional backtrack). Another little thing, I personally don't like encounter brushes in towns, especially if there is no purpose. You could add a little cosmetic farm, or add other thing to fufill it.
2. Route 1
The first half has a pretty decent layout, however, it falls on the same problem, empty space. But, it's much better than the Town. I would shorten a little the wide of the no grass path, putting more holes on the tall grass to have a more variety of movement on these. Expanding the first lake, to cover the whole area, would be pretty good. Also, the same, giving more variety in the route is pretty. I would fufill the area in the house with trees, that pots looks a little off. As for the second half, It seems useless. The first route should be more basic, since is the first spot for the player to battle, to encounter Pokémon, etc. You can use cliffs and ledges, but must be sure to not overdue it.

That's all. Sorry for my english. You have a good potential for route, specially making the basic layout. Congrats.

Astefia

Cooltrainer
I don't like those long inaccessible empty stretches alongside the cliffs. And a bit more variety in decor (but not much, keep it connected by a theme) would go a long way. But the layouts are good, I would give that game a try.

Back