• Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly! You can learn how to add images to your posts here.

I'm thinking about turning some (in)famous Pokemon fanfiction into a fully playable fangame

Anime Watcher

dabbling in game design
I'm thinking about turning some (in)famous Pokemon fanfiction into a fully playable fangame, but...I'd need permission from the people who wrote the fan novelas and fan comics, as well as sprites that look like characters from the anime. Since this is a fan project, I'm not keen on the idea of spending money on it, as if it gets popular, Nintendo will probably DMCA it, but what I thought I'd do is try to make a game combining the storylines from the manga fanfic and anime fanfic to create a somewhat original gameplay experience, probably closer to a visual novel than a traditional Pokemon game.

As far as mechanics go, I think I know how to do most of them. I just need to figure out how to design maps and find relevant artwork. I would try Deviant Art, but the Pokemon artist I knew left for some reason, I think.

Here were some features I was thinking about including if I can get permission from the original artists:

Classic fanmade Pokemon evolutions and megas
Classic as well as new fakemon
Fanmade regional variants
Storylines based on the most popular Pokemon fanfiction focusing on the games and anime

Basically a love letter to certain areas of the Pokemon fanfiction and Pokemon fangame making community.

(What's your opinion on this, and how would I get the necessary permission to base my game on existing fan lore/other fan games?)

Last edited:
Back