• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Short-term Pokémon Reflected Hearts

This thread's author is looking for short-term team members.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neoncityrain

Trans and proud
Welcome to Reflected Hearts, a fangame that hops between two worlds! We are seeking people who can work on tilesets (making of maps themselves not necessary)!
This fangame was originally intended to be for Game Jam 9 under the theme of "dimensions," but we ended up with a few too many volunteers- rather than limit the amount of time we could work and turn people down, we are opting to continue working for ourselves and making a bigger and more fun project!

We are using both Pokémon Essentials and PMD: Origins.

splash2.png

(Graphic is from prior to the project having a name, taking inspiration from the Gen 5 starter selection menu.
Unown text was ripped and edited by myself.)

Reflected Hearts is a fangame where someone dissatisfied with life attempts to run from home, only to get isekai'ed into the PMD universe. The protagonist ends up getting thrown back and forth, learning about calamity in both worlds caused by one another.
Save the place you came from in hope of a better future, or save the place that seems like a utopia in hope of escaping your past?
(This is only the basic summary- we are hammering out details and I am not entirely comfortable sharing everything yet!)

We are seeking pixel artists who can work in one or more of the following tileset styles:
  • Main series Generation 3 (FRLG / RSE) with a generally more gritty, rough, and monochrome tone than below
  • Mystery Dungeon 2 (Explorers of Time / Darkness / Sky) with a generally more colourful and fun tone than above
  • Main series Generation 3 (FRLG / RSE) with an extremely cutesy, magical-girl type tone
Even working with us to make simple edits and additions to existing Essentials / Origins tilesets would be greatly appreciated.
To work with us, you will not be expected to give regular updates, but you MUST be willing to work with a gaggle of queer autistic weirdos. The environment we've made can sometimes go a mile a minute. While this is fantastic for our group, it may not work for everyone.

NeonCityRain ("Slot One" / Main-series programming / mapping, graphics, story, balancing changes, wiki management, "the people guy")
EnderWolf513 ("Slot Two" / PMD programming, story)
Mosstermind / Mossy Flowers (Story, character design)
Ice Fox of Camelot (Music)

Special thanks and extra help:
Electric Borealis and Captain Skitty, for cheerleading us and making me melt on the floor like ice cream placed in an oven
Agriocnemis, for preventing me from exploding (for now....... 👀) and extra ideas for the intro quiz
Marshiimallowz, for extra balancing suggestions and an intro quiz question
Dustbunniess, for character ideas (and potentially for character design in the future)

Note: this team can and WILL change. As the project progresses and people's motivation change, we will welcome more people into our team should they wish, or allow people to step down.
Almost everyone on this team and special thanks has worked with me in the past on previous projects and stories (primarily in private), and I have personally known all people listed for two years or more.
These features are unlikely to be necessary to someone making tilesets. Even so, they are listed for the sake of clarity and completion.
  • The Pokédex does not include every Pokémon and has very few to no fakemon or new forms. Instead, some Pokémon have been rebalanced with different abilities, movesets, and stats. (Meganium, Unovan Samurott, and Flareon should be competitively viable now!)
  • Ice has resistances.
  • Pokémon may occasionally be found intersex. While unable to breed, intersex individuals may evolve into male or female-exclusive evolutions, and may have unique appearances if the Pokémon has a large gender difference. They will be difficult to find, but shiny intersex Pokémon may also boast a more unique colour scheme.
  • Shiny Pokémon may have different battle poses than their non-shiny counterparts and are more common.
  • Some Pokémon have had their colours altered. In general, blacks have been made darker on Pokémon such as Luxray and Houndoom, while colours have been changed to their later palettes on Pokémon such as Growlithe and Absol.
  • Functionally, this story is two games meant to work together as one; Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and main-series Pokémon. During certain story beats, the player is asked to switch between the two, and is provided a password in order to open the next part of the story while conserving essential information for the other.

Ideally, there would also be a system to make Pokémon more or less likely to obey depending on happiness and how well they are treated. This currently has a pin in it, as it is not high priority for the time being.
I originally created the Dynamic Battle Sprites resource with this project in mind. Therefore, all sprites in that repository are also in use in this project.
All shown images are from the "Slot One" side- my partner in crime is working on wrangling PMDO, and I will not show his work prior to him being ready.
Images not final. Some minor concept art is included.
quiz.png

scr1.png
scr2.png
scr3.png

Summary.png

(Summary screen graphics from the Gen 5 Summary pack)
making a friend.png
city1_2.png

Please contact neoncityrain on Discord or reply to this thread if you are interested in working with us!
We do have a Discord server, but we are not yet prepared to have something public. That requires moderation that we aren't yet ready for, and would prefer to work on the game itself for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back