• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Creative The protag for Daybreak

Silverra

Mr. Daybreak
So I made this sprite I believe two years ago, and I finally have some free time to actually sit down and maybe do something with it.

My goal for this character is to be the protagonist in a detective story - Think the looker ep from Origins.
So I wanted him to have the usual film noir style coat as well as making sure that he looked like he would be in his 20's.
I'm sort of looking for some feedback. Don't worry about the weirdness on the left side of the picture with his coat flap. I had a blown up picture with some text on it and I had to quickly remove that before posting it here. ;)
tDzeaYW.jpg

Also, just for good measure. Please be so kind not to use this, even if you like it. At least not for anything commercialized.

Fontbane

Not a Russian Troll
I feel like I don't know enough about pixel art to give you in-depth critique, but I'll list the first couple things that stick out to me:

1- the hair on the walking sprite (with his back facing us) could use some shading so it doesn't look flat
2- in the full sprite, too many of the outlines are black, so they kinda blend into each other. use a darker shade of the regular color for outline instead, most of the time.
3- the shading on the legs is really weird, it makes it look like he's got something between his legs acting as a light source.
4- you're also in general using too many colors to shade, specifically on the pants. Keeping your palette at less colors can sometimes be better.
5- his right arm (our left) is just... really weird in general.

Silverra

Mr. Daybreak
Thanks. I'll try fixing those things.
I did feel the outlines were too much as you said yourself. So that'll probably be the first thing I look at.
I find shading to be the hardest part, but hey - We can't all be good spriters, and there's only one way to learn. ;)

Back