• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

User Experience

Jayrodd

Professional Hot Pepper
The field of UX is one that has been becoming more and more important in modern game design, and can really make or break your game. It spans a large list of things about your game but really comes down to how smooth things feel to the player, and it's our job as designers to notice and care about these details.
  • Discuss changes that can be made to improve the users enjoyment in your game.
  • How accessible should in-game resources be?
  • Share details that you have added or noticed in games that improved your time playing them!

Last edited:
Oooh UX design is a pretty cool topic.
There's some bigger picture stuff that I think sometimes gets removed for the sake of increasing the game's difficulty, like:
  • Giving the player access to TMs to personally customize their team
  • Variety of Pokemon available, and what's available has favorable type match ups against opponents
  • Allowing backtracking so the player can get items/pokemon they might have missed
  • Allowing rematches with trainers so the amount of money in the game isn't finite
But something small that I think is interesting UX is doubling up on cues to keep the player informed on what's going on. Stuff like, when you pick up an item, it not only displays a text box say "Got an item! Put in in the bag!" but also plays a little sound, and that makes it feel like a small win, no matter what the item might be. Another sound cue, one that I think gets missed in fan games, is the encounter theme that plays when a trainer spots you. So you get the visual aspect of the trainer noticing you, but it also plays music while you read their "Fight me!" text. It might sound unnecessary when I describe it, but think of for example walking up to an NPC in a building that's been taken over by Team Rocket, and the fight music starts playing when you talk to them. Instead of being confused when you're thrown into battle with what you thought was a harmless person, that musical cue makes it exciting and tells you to get hyped!

Even the same type of cue can be doubled on itself, like two visual ones. An example would be in Fable, we had apricorns in the overworld to show hidden items. To make extra sure they attracted the player's attention enough to be picked up, we also added an animated sparkling effect. This can also be easilly done in text as well, if an NPC says something like, "Bring me three oran berries and I'll let you pass." then that's a pretty straightforward way of telling the player what needs to be done, right? It can get better though, by making the important things more eye catching like, "Bring me 3 Oran Berries and I'll let you pass." which makes the number clearer, and both highlights and capitalizes the important item. It might seem redundant, but honestly that second text is letting me know it's important, while that first example looks like any old flavor text that an NPC might just say.

Electric_man17

Social Media
Honestly I love to make like Pokemon Trainer jokes that are really funny, and bring a smile to everyone. Like for example: in my Pokemon Fan Game: Pokemon Love and Eternity (which by the way I updated the Thread to summarize the plot of the game) I made the End Speeches of the 2 Team Infinite Grunts, one of them said in their End Speech, "I hate this job!" Totally funny right?

Well that's part of my user experience is to make Pokemon Trainer jokes, just to show how incredibly funny I can be with my Pokemon Fan Game.

Maruno

Essentials dev
Essentials Developer
The loose aim of the recent Essentials v17 was to improve user experience in regards to the game's mechanics. Quick-swapping controls in the party/storage, support for multiple keyboard layouts, being able to view the Pokédex from a Pokémon's summary screen (and mark it from there too), showing the icon of a Pokémon's held item as well as its name, the Ready Menu (the thing that replaces F5's single registered item)... There were some improvements for the developers too, such as a sleeker debug menu, nicer-looking debug features, and the addition of the "pokemonforms.txt" PBS file, as well as the abolition of the annoying Editor and addition of another Debug menu to the Continue/New Game screen.

As such, I'm very interested in this topic.

As the posts in this thread so far have shown, there are a lot of facets to UX. Player freedom, player choices, player enjoyment, usability of features and developer friendliness are all in there, and I'm sure there are other factors too.

An important fact to remember is that even a small change can improve an experience dramatically. Even optional things (such as accessing the Pokédex from the summary screen, or playing a Pokémon's cry on demand) can make a big difference.

Back