• Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly! You can learn how to add images to your posts here.

Questions around Team Building and First Project ?

shinypkmn

Rookie
Hey ! There I want to ask some questions. I have loved playing pokemon fan games and I have only played fan games. Since I don't even know where to buy the originals in my country. So I started with pokemon Uranium , and eventually I played Reborn. After Playing Reborn I wanted to make my own game. Turned out it was possible for coding noobs like me to make a game on my own. Then there were tutorials by Thundaga too , I tried to make a game once back in december 2020 , with college colleagues , but that didn't turned out well. A Month or something back , I restarted working on my project again.
And at this point I seem to have hit a wall. I can theoretically just do about anything. Like Creating Pokemon Sprites , Character Sprites , Maps , Custom Tileset , And can obviously work well with essentials. But I feel like , I need a second opinion at least one other person to help me out. Almost all the famous fan games I know are made by teams. Now I tried to post some reddit threads around team recruiting and what not but they were not well recieved.
Some good questions were asked , as in Why should someone work with you ?
Now to that I already attached some 4-5 custom character sprite , but the question is regarding experience. Can you do it ? Have you worked on a project before ?Another thing was , people want some progress at least. But the thing is I am trying to make custom tilesets also on my own.
Another question is , even after leaving everything behind , at what point in the game will I be able ask for team mates ?
One more question , How do you stop yourself from getting overwhelmed by the pre-existing projects. I see pokemon reborn / rejuvenation / uranium / infinite fusion. All of these feel something out of the league. I came to this site , got overwhelmed by the pre-existing projects and re-started working on my tilesets.
Now I get that not every project does great, but if I am working on a project giving 2-3 hrs of my day. Why would I not want it to do great ?
Thanks for reading this far.

I recently wrote an article on on recruitment threads here that you might find worth reading.
Another question is , even after leaving everything behind , at what point in the game will I be able ask for team mates ?
The thing is, when you're recruiting, you're appealing to other people, who are all going to have their own standards/preferences/schedules/etc. that you can't universally predict. You can ask at any time, and there's plenty of ways to try to build appeal, but there's no point you can be 100% sure you're going to get a response, because it also depends on the other person.
One more question , How do you stop yourself from getting overwhelmed by the pre-existing projects. I see pokemon reborn / rejuvenation / uranium / infinite fusion. All of these feel something out of the league. I came to this site , got overwhelmed by the pre-existing projects and re-started working on my tilesets.
Remember that 1) these were all made over several years and 2) they often had community support, either in the form of large teams or public resources, sometimes both.

Working on your own projects is the best way to feel more accomplished and confident in your skills. Even if you don't have a full 8-gym game, creating a full tileset, a new script, a game demo, etc. are all great ways to feel like you're improving as a developer.

Back