• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Tech's Oddities

Resource Tech's Oddities 2023-05-17

TechSkylander1518 submitted a new resource:

Tech's Oddities - Some little ideas

I've had a few ideas for various new mechanics kicking around and figured I might as well share them! There's no graphics anywhere here - I'm no spriter, as you can probably tell from the icon lol. If you do end up creating your own graphics for something here, I'd really appreciate if you'd let it be included as part of the resource!

There's no PBS for items - I haven't decided on cost or description for them just yet, and I don't want to make PBS entries with just name and pocket. I might...

Read more about this resource...

wrigty12

Tester-Coder Hybrid
Slots Charm and Berry Charm for ya.

SLOTSCHARM.png
BERRYCHARM.png

ardicoozer

Cooltrainer
Hi tech,
For BGM volume, Charger, and Shiny Evo methods need any level requirements?

wrigty12

Tester-Coder Hybrid
Great sprites! I love them! I want to let you know they seem to generate RGB error in the debug command window.
Oh yeah, because I never index my stuff lol. The error is benign, but if you really want me too, I can make some indexed versions :)

Jangajinx

An Overly Ambitious Developer
Oh yeah, because I never index my stuff lol. The error is benign, but if you really want me too, I can make some indexed versions :)
I appreciate it. It is mostly just bothering my OCD. To be honest, looking forward to more amazing sprites.

LinKazamine

Champion
Don't know if it really counts as new, but I created the evolution method "Evolve when trading with X species in the team". All that to make shelmet evolve because their normal method isn't working for me.
Karrablast didn't want to evolve with that new method, so I changed their evolution to "Evolve when trading with an item" and made it so you could only get the item when shelmet evolved.
Just sharing it here so you can add it on the list if you want to.

Last edited:

Jukes

Cooltrainer
Can we make a slots charm that doubles payout? or increases it by 50% or something? how would we do that?

ardicoozer

Cooltrainer
Any idea making a evolution based max contest stats like max beauty, cool, etc like in gen 3 mechanics?

wrigty12

Tester-Coder Hybrid
Any idea making a evolution based max contest stats like max beauty, cool, etc like in gen 3 mechanics?
Beauty evolution already exists in Pokemon Essentials. You could just duplicate that evolution method and change pkmn.beauty to pkmn.cool, etc.

drdoom76

Cooltrainer
Im definitely using the charms in my game! Awesome job. Also gave me the idea to extend to mining, as well. Overwritting the def pbHit section with this will allow for each hit accounting for 75% of the normal value with the charm. That's around 10ish more hits with the hammer. Seems a little less broken than allowing double rewards from mining, especially as I have added mega stones and other extremely rare items into my mining game. Not much of a spriter, so if anyone has one I'd be forever greatful.
Ruby:
  def pbHit
    hittype = 0
#Added value modification for having mining charm
    if $bag.has?(:MININGCHARM)
      charm = 0.75
    else
      charm = 1
    end

position = @sprites["cursor"].position
    if @sprites["cursor"].mode == 1   # Hammer
      pattern = [1, 2, 1,
                 2, 2, 2,
                 1, 2, 1]
#Passed the modified value onto the hammer hits, normal value if !miningcharm
        @sprites["crack"].hits += 2 * charm if !($DEBUG && Input.press?(Input::CTRL))
    else                            # Pick
      pattern = [0, 1, 0,
                 1, 2, 1,
                 0, 1, 0]
#Passed the modified value onto the pick hits, normal value if !miningcharm
        @sprites["crack"].hits += 1 * charm if !($DEBUG && Input.press?(Input::CTRL))
      end
    if @sprites["tile#{position}"].layer <= pattern[4] && pbIsIronThere?(position)
      @sprites["tile#{position}"].layer -= pattern[4]
      pbSEPlay("Mining iron")
      hittype = 2
    else
      3.times do |i|
        ytile = i - 1 + (position / BOARD_WIDTH)
        next if ytile < 0 || ytile >= BOARD_HEIGHT
        3.times do |j|
          xtile = j - 1 + (position % BOARD_WIDTH)
          next if xtile < 0 || xtile >= BOARD_WIDTH
          @sprites["tile#{xtile + (ytile * BOARD_WIDTH)}"].layer -= pattern[j + (i * 3)]
        end
      end
        pbSEPlay("Mining hammer")
      else
        pbSEPlay("Mining pick")
      end
    end
    update
    Graphics.update
    hititem = (@sprites["tile#{position}"].layer == 0 && pbIsItemThere?(position))
    hittype = 1 if hititem
    @sprites["cursor"].animate(hittype)
    revealed = pbCheckRevealed
    if revealed.length > 0
      pbSEPlay("Mining reveal full")
      pbFlashItems(revealed)
    elsif hititem
      pbSEPlay("Mining reveal")
    end
  end

Last edited:

wrigty12

Tester-Coder Hybrid
Im definitely using the charms in my game! Awesome job. Also gave me the idea to extend to mining, as well. Overwritting the def pbHit section with this will allow for each hit accounting for 75% of the normal value with the charm. That's around 10ish more hits with the hammer. Seems a little less broken than allowing double rewards from mining, especially as I have added mega stones and other extremely rare items into my mining game. Not much of a spriter, so if anyone has one I'd be forever greatful.
Ruby:
  def pbHit
    hittype = 0
#Added value modification for having mining charm
    if $bag.has?(:MININGCHARM)
      charm = 0.75
    else
      charm = 1
    end

position = @sprites["cursor"].position
      pattern = [1, 2, 1,
                 2, 2, 2,
                 1, 2, 1]
#Passed the modified value onto the hammer hits, normal value if !miningcharm
        @sprites["crack"].hits += 2 * charm if !($DEBUG && Input.press?(Input::CTRL))
    else                            # Pick
      pattern = [0, 1, 0,
                 1, 2, 1,
                 0, 1, 0]
#Passed the modified value onto the pick hits, normal value if !miningcharm
        @sprites["crack"].hits += 1 * charm if !($DEBUG && Input.press?(Input::CTRL))
      end
    if @sprites["tile#{position}"].layer <= pattern[4] && pbIsIronThere?(position)
      @sprites["tile#{position}"].layer -= pattern[4]
      pbSEPlay("Mining iron")
      hittype = 2
    else
      3.times do |i|
        ytile = i - 1 + (position / BOARD_WIDTH)
        next if ytile < 0 || ytile >= BOARD_HEIGHT
        3.times do |j|
          xtile = j - 1 + (position % BOARD_WIDTH)
          next if xtile < 0 || xtile >= BOARD_WIDTH
          @sprites["tile#{xtile + (ytile * BOARD_WIDTH)}"].layer -= pattern[j + (i * 3)]
        end
      end
        pbSEPlay("Mining hammer")
      else
        pbSEPlay("Mining pick")
      end
    end
    update
    Graphics.update
    hititem = (@sprites["tile#{position}"].layer == 0 && pbIsItemThere?(position))
    hittype = 1 if hititem
    @sprites["cursor"].animate(hittype)
    revealed = pbCheckRevealed
    if revealed.length > 0
      pbSEPlay("Mining reveal full")
      pbFlashItems(revealed)
    elsif hititem
      pbSEPlay("Mining reveal")
    end
  end
MININGCHARM.png

How does this look? I just based it off the hammer, with pick colors for the tassel and Amber color for the beads.

drdoom76

Cooltrainer
Charm for multiplying all game coin earned?
GAMECHARM.png

The code should be pretty easy, but I can't find the pbReceiveCoin method that is called when picking up coins. I was going to throw it in there. Anyone have any ideas?

Back