• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

New Type Additions, Strengths and Weakness'

Blacklisted

Pokèmon Nuzlocke Fanatic
Topic:

Introducing a new type(s) to a Pokemon fangame. I want to create my game with this as the "new" gimmick. But, there's alot of different things that could fit, and then how do you implement them into the game while being balanced?
That's the point of this thread!

Types:

Sound, Light, Cosmic, Wood, Monster, Rubber, Magic, Wind, Etc.
I just want to create a space for all of us to discuss what is that missing type. I want the game to be one where everyone is genuinely excited and get to see a new type introduced which changes the type chart, pokemon, and moves. Makes room for new moves, and abilities, creating what would feel like the next gen of Pokemon.

Postings:
So if you see this Post, please suggest types youd like added, which Pokemon would benefit from it, what moves would change, what new moves would be introduced, new abilities to make the type more viable, and probably most important... the type chart! And anything else that I missed!
I'll probably eventually make a poll to decide which one(s) get chosen.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I'm excited to see what the community thinks!

Last edited:

Wayfinder

Novice
I am also adding a Sonic type for my game. Too many existing Pokémon and fakemon to not have it as a type. it makes a lot of sense. I had also thought of a Cosmic (space fairing mons) but decided to only do the one. I'm working on a tuning fork ability that buffs their attacks when certain steel types are present.

Fossilized_Nerd

Novice
In my experience playing games like Glazed, which re-did the entire Type chart, or older titles where Steel and Dark and Fairy either didn't exist or were SUPER hard to obtain - the key to balance is putting the Pokémon that possess these types in spots where you always have a solution for the path ahead.

Really good example of the main series doing this: in Generation 2, there's a trade to obtain an Onix, and you just need to trade a guy in Violet City your Bellsprout. This enables everyone who did not take Cyndaquil, and did not resonate with Hoothoot, the chance to fend off the two upcoming Flying and Bug Gyms.

As for the types THEMSELVES - that comes down more to how far you spread their attributes. Ghost only has two weaknesses and it carries a very solid two immunities, but it's also only super-effective against two types in total. If Ghost were SE against more types then you'd have people complaining it was too overpowered, and the same goes for resistances.

Dragon was seen as OP for a long, long time despite only being SE against itself because there were very few ways to stop a rampaging dragon from steamrolling a team after they set up. Fairy hard-blocked them with an immunity, but nowadays Fairy is the type that borders on being too powerful. Make sure to play around with your types and see what feels right for you, and make sure you consider what "role" a type has.

Try subverting your own "roles" too! That's what makes some Pokémon incredibly fun to use; like Lucario, given two normally "physical offense" and "defensive wall" types, turned into a mixed offensive powerhouse. (sorry lmao long reply)

Blacklisted

Pokèmon Nuzlocke Fanatic
I am also adding a Sonic type for my game. Too many existing Pokémon and fakemon to not have it as a type. it makes a lot of sense. I had also thought of a Cosmic (space fairing mons) but decided to only do the one. I'm working on a tuning fork ability that buffs their attacks when certain steel types are present.
Can you explain why sonic type makes so much sense? I'm only connecting it to Sound?

Blacklisted

Pokèmon Nuzlocke Fanatic
In my experience playing games like Glazed, which re-did the entire Type chart, or older titles where Steel and Dark and Fairy either didn't exist or were SUPER hard to obtain - the key to balance is putting the Pokémon that possess these types in spots where you always have a solution for the path ahead.

Really good example of the main series doing this: in Generation 2, there's a trade to obtain an Onix, and you just need to trade a guy in Violet City your Bellsprout. This enables everyone who did not take Cyndaquil, and did not resonate with Hoothoot, the chance to fend off the two upcoming Flying and Bug Gyms.

As for the types THEMSELVES - that comes down more to how far you spread their attributes. Ghost only has two weaknesses and it carries a very solid two immunities, but it's also only super-effective against two types in total. If Ghost were SE against more types then you'd have people complaining it was too overpowered, and the same goes for resistances.

Dragon was seen as OP for a long, long time despite only being SE against itself because there were very few ways to stop a rampaging dragon from steamrolling a team after they set up. Fairy hard-blocked them with an immunity, but nowadays Fairy is the type that borders on being too powerful. Make sure to play around with your types and see what feels right for you, and make sure you consider what "role" a type has.

Try subverting your own "roles" too! That's what makes some Pokémon incredibly fun to use; like Lucario, given two normally "physical offense" and "defensive wall" types, turned into a mixed offensive powerhouse. (sorry lmao long reply)
No I appreciate the reply! Honestly really good points, I hadn't really considered how important it is to place the rarer or more powerful type combinations in spot that are harder to reach or put behind a wall is an important point. I will definitely put all of these points into consideration, thank you for your time!

Back