• Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly! You can learn how to add images to your posts here.

What would make Pokemon Contests better?

wrigty12

Tester-Coder Hybrid
I'm working on a general plugin port of Pokemon Contests to v20.1, and along the way, I'm making tweaks and QoL changes as I see fit.

I know Pokemon Contests are divisive among players, so I figured I'd ask: What changes would make Pokemon Contests better?

If some ideas are plausible, I may think about including them in my plugin port.

StarWolff

Cooltrainer
I dream of having BDSP contest mechanics, these are so fun
but for RSE contests? maybe making combos more clear? like if you use a supereffective type after it gives you a combo, ex fire then water (Idk if this is a thing already)

wrigty12

Tester-Coder Hybrid
I dream of having BDSP contest mechanics, these are so fun
but for RSE contests? maybe making combos more clear? like if you use a supereffective type after it gives you a combo, ex fire then water (Idk if this is a thing already)
Yeah the port I'm working on is mostly RSE contests. Which pieces of BDSP contests do you like (I never did the contests in BDSP, and I barely did them back in Diamond/Pearl)?

Combos as far as I know are predetermined lists based the moves, not types. Like using Earthquake after Dig, or some basic fighting moves after Focus Energy. But they are customizable in the plugin, so you can define any move combo via symbol. I do like the idea of having different ways to trigger combos, so I'll look into that

StarWolff

Cooltrainer
well, I only played when it came out, but BDSP uses dance dance revolution/Friday Night Funkin game style, so you have to press the arrow keys in sync with the music
also there's some costumes bonus on it if I remember

MagickaHat

The Wickedest Witch of the West
More Variety in the judges with their likes and dislikes. Also better communication to the player, at least in my experiences the games never did a great job elaborating and allowing you to "practice" the in-depth mechanics. . .

wrigty12

Tester-Coder Hybrid
Since it was a large effort to get the RSE version set up (almost ready for Beta release!), I decided to not pursue multiple judges right now. I have it on a list of enhancement ideas post-release. I do like the ideas of the judges being more unique with their tastes! I also made it so implementing something like the DDR style minigame could be easy, I (or someone else) would just need to develop it and it could be inserted it quite easily.

@MagickaHat, do you have an example of what communication could be better?

MagickaHat

The Wickedest Witch of the West
@wrigty12 it's been a while since I've picked up generation 3 but from what I can recall I think it was due to how the game glances over certain mechanics when it first teaches you about the mode. But honestly, I may just speaking out of my neck rn since this is probably a fault of game design and not fundamentally contests of their own. I hope this makes sense I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts @_@

wrigty12

Tester-Coder Hybrid
@wrigty12 it's been a while since I've picked up generation 3 but from what I can recall I think it was due to how the game glances over certain mechanics when it first teaches you about the mode. But honestly, I may just speaking out of my neck rn since this is probably a fault of game design and not fundamentally contests of their own. I hope this makes sense I'm not always the best at explaining my thoughts @_@
Hm, yeah I think I know what you mean. Even trying to figure out how certain things worked when diving into coding parts was hard, and I had to make some assumptions. I feel like explaining it would more fall on NPCs or a guide item or something, which I can look into creating for the example project I'll release with the plugin

SuperSpyroDragon64

Cooltrainer
I'm working on a general plugin port of Pokemon Contests to v20.1, and along the way, I'm making tweaks and QoL changes as I see fit.

I know Pokemon Contests are divisive among players, so I figured I'd ask: What changes would make Pokemon Contests better?

If some ideas are plausible, I may think about including them in my plugin port.
Could a plugin keep track of how many "Correct" and "Incorrect" choices the player makes during a battle?

I liked those Contest Battles from the anime. These could be replicated if the game could tell battling "beautifully" from battling "badly" and reward/penalize you with a score at the end. Perhaps the winner wouldn't be who actually depleted the foe's HP, but who got the better score during the battle?

wrigty12

Tester-Coder Hybrid
Could a plugin keep track of how many "Correct" and "Incorrect" choices the player makes during a battle?

I liked those Contest Battles from the anime. These could be replicated if the game could tell battling "beautifully" from battling "badly" and reward/penalize you with a score at the end. Perhaps the winner wouldn't be who actually depleted the foe's HP, but who got the better score during the battle?
Hm, it seems like that would have to be a completely different plugin from the one I'm doing, as mainline game contests don't deal with battles at all. Interesting idea, though.

Eurritimia

Novice

I think this could work as a variation of Pokestar Studios movies

Caruban

Cooltrainer
Hm, yeah I think I know what you mean. Even trying to figure out how certain things worked when diving into coding parts was hard, and I had to make some assumptions. I feel like explaining it would more fall on NPCs or a guide item or something, which I can look into creating for the example project I'll release with the plugin
You can also add more combos. because I think in RSE there is nothing to explain move combinations to players. Besides that, if you want to be even more complex, add a way for players to unlock certain move combinations or register move combinations similar to Pokedex.

wrigty12

Tester-Coder Hybrid
You can also add more combos. because I think in RSE there is nothing to explain move combinations to players. Besides that, if you want to be even more complex, add a way for players to unlock certain move combinations or register move combinations similar to Pokedex.
Combos are customizable, so people can definitely add their own; I've added in all the existing combos from the mainline games.

But, I do like that idea of unlockable combos. I'll look into creating that!

SuperSpyroDragon64

Cooltrainer
Combos are customizable, so people can definitely add their own; I've added in all the existing combos from the mainline games.

But, I do like that idea of unlockable combos. I'll look into creating that!
Pokemon has countless moves and even if you only create mixes between the most commonly used 60/90ish BST moves, that's a ton of work. Might be faster to make combination moves interact based on their type.

Who puts in the effort to use Grass Pledge with Water Pledge? But using Leaf Blade with Surf, now that's a somewhat more common sight. Might be more common if every attack's type combination except normal got its own bonus effect.

People love elemental interaction. They loved it in Lost Magic. They loved it in Cassette Beasts. They loved it in Genshin Impact. They loved it in all those other games where you mix elements to get more elements.

Come to think of it, maybe that would be better than a plugin that ranks the player based on how correctly or incorrectly he played. People loved being ranked on their gameplay in Yugioh 2011 Over The Nexus because it meant a bigger reward from each battle.

Last edited:

wrigty12

Tester-Coder Hybrid
Pokemon has countless moves and even if you only create mixes between the most commonly used 60/90ish BST moves, that's a ton of work. Might be faster to make combination moves interact based on their type.

Who puts in the effort to use Grass Pledge with Water Pledge? But using Leaf Blade with Surf, now that's a somewhat more common sight. Might be more common if every attack's type combination except normal got its own bonus effect.

People love elemental interaction. They loved it in Lost Magic. They loved it in Cassette Beasts. They loved it in Genshin Impact. They loved it in all those other games where you mix elements to get more elements.

Come to think of it, maybe that would be better than a plugin that ranks the player based on how correctly or incorrectly he played. People loved being ranked on their gameplay in Yugioh 2011 Over The Nexus because it meant a bigger reward from each battle.
I feel like enabling element combos like that breaks things. It removes some thought from move selection for contests. I'll think about adding it.

Back