• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Discussion Relic Castle Cooks! (Recipe Thread)

This thread invites discussion. Be respectful, but feel free to share your opinions.

Shgeldz

:eyes:
Webster's dictionary defines recipe as a set of instructions for making something from various ingredients.

Here's 2 to start you off:

Cheese Crackers, super easy, 10000% better than store brought.
2 tbsp Butter
3/4 cup hard grated cheddar
1/4 cup grated parmesan
any other cheese you want (experiment w/ different hard cheeses)
paprika
cayanne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup flour
cold water, about a teaspoon
get butter to room temp
put both cheeses into butter, mix up until you have a cheesy butter
put in flour, and work with a fork until your mixture is basically crumbs
add cayanne, salt, paprika, other spices
add in very cold water, about a teaspoon and mix until it all comes together
wrap it and put in fridge for 20-30 mins
take out, roll out into super thin sheet, and cut into cracker sized pieces
VERY IMPORTANT: poke holes with a fork in the crackers (this is called docking)
put lightly oiled tin foil on a baking sheet, throw in oven at 375 for 15-16 mins until crispy
LET REST UNTIL ROOM TEMP
eat.

1 gallon water
1 cup Kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp ground pepper
1 tsp rubbed sage
1 tsp ground cumin
Put the ingredients (plus a teaspoon of liquid smoke if you have it) into a pot, mix, and bring to a boil. then cool until room temp. put in turkey legs and brine overnight

when you're done brining, take them out and rinse them with water. pat dry
Rub them with paprika and a bit of garlic salt, make SURE to get under the skin
put them on a rack on a baking sheet lined with tinfoil, and brush with olive oil (just a lil bit to make it shiny)
Below the baking sheet, put some rice if you have any. This helps smoke it a little bit.
put the oven to 400 degrees, and roast the legs for about an hour and 15 mins. pull em out and flip them over every 25 or so mins so both sides cook evenly
once you hit an internal temp of 180, crank up the heat to 500, and bake until the skin gets a solid brown color.

Also @Deo requested the twitch food stream

Last edited:

Domiok

Local Goof
Dang, I like the looks of what you all have here! I'll check those out in the coming weeks to see how they taste. I have been trying to cook more over the last year, so I'm always excited about new recipes.

To start off, here's a recipe that I wrote a month or so ago.

Creamy Milk Risotto
k63844eki0ay.jpg
Disclaimer: Based on my limited exposure to risotto, risotto is not the best choice for a food to cook with the intent of eating over a long time. The risotto dries out and loses lots of flavor over a short period. Additionally, in my opinion, risotto does not work well as a standalone dish given that the dish is primarily rice. You may consider cooking chicken or shellfish separately to accompany your risotto. Enjoy!

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6-8
Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 medium, chopped onion
- 2 cups Arborio rice, American medium-grain rice, or white rice
- 6 cups sheep’s milk, goat’s milk, or cow’s milk
- 1 cup oyster mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, or assorted mushrooms
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, or to taste
  • Cut the mushrooms into slices and pieces as desired. Place the mushroom pieces into a bowl and fill with water. Let the mushrooms sit for 20 minutes or until soft.
  • Put a wide, shallow saucepan on medium heat. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and the butter in the pan, and wait for the butter to melt.
  • In a separate pan, begin heating the milk on medium heat so that it is warm for later. Do not let the milk rise to a boil, and maintain a warm temperature to avoid burning the milk.
  • Cook the onion and carrots in the shallow saucepan.
  • Begin adding the warm milk into the shallow saucepan with the rice, strictly in ½ to 1 cup increments. Stir the rice regularly to prevent the rice from burning and to allow even absorbance of the fluids. Stir each increment of milk until the milk has dissipated from the pan before adding the next increment.
  • While still adding the milk to the shallow saucepan, prepare a separate pan for cooking the presently soaking mushrooms. Place the pan on medium heat. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in the pan.
  • While still adding milk, remove the mushrooms from the water, and preserve the mushroom water. Cook the mushrooms in the new pan while finishing the milk stirring.
  • After the milk has all been stirred, pour 1 cup of the mushroom water into the shallow saucepan with the rice. Stir until the water has fully dissipated.
  • Drain the oil from the mushroom pan. Add the mushrooms, the Parmesan cheese, the salt, and the pepper to the shallow saucepan. Stir thoroughly until the cheese has completely melted.
  • Remove the shallow saucepan with the risotto from the heat. Serve the risotto while it is fresh.

Last edited:

Shgeldz

This is a SUPER easy recipe and I recommend trying it out. The key here is the correct rice, and the ratio between liquid to rice.

Ingredients for 4 large portions:
(best to use a 12 or 13 inch wide skillet)
For the saffron broth:
2 tsp olive oil
reserved shrimp shells from 1 pound of jumbo shrimp
1/2 to 1 tsp saffron threads, depending on how strong you want the flavor
2 1/4 cups chicken broth
*Simmer for 20 minutes, strain and reserve. Be sure to season generously with salt, or your rice will be bland.
For the paella:
1 tbsp olive oil
8 oz sliced chorizo sausage, or any smoky, spicy sausage
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/3 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup green peas
1 tsp regular or smoked paprika, optional depending on how much was in the sausage
2 cups (exactly) hot saffron broth, or just plain hot chicken broth
1 pound peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp
1 sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
salt and cayenne to taste
garnish top with a light drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and freshly chopped Italian parsley
lemon wedges, optional (some love lemon, I prefer without, but give it a try and see)
*Bake at 425 degrees F. for 20 minutes, then finish over med-high flame until rice is just tender. It will be firm and slightly sticky. Don’t burn it, but you can leave it on the flame a little longer to try and get the rice to caramelize and crust onto the bottom of the pan, like the classic version. Be careful.

Mr. Gela

Discord: theo#7722
Dude, paella is in my blood. I must say I prefer my paella without chorizo if it has seafood in it. I prefer a full seafood (clam, mussel, razor clam...) dish over mixing it with meat. I also hate peas with a passion. :mask:

Basically, improving on this recipe based on my experience, I would make the chorizo brown but save the chorizo for a tapa, but still cook the onion and such with the chorizoey oil. Also bay leaf as you cook the chorizo is :innocent:.

Shgeldz

Dude, paella is in my blood. I must say I prefer my paella without chorizo if it has seafood in it. I prefer a full seafood (clam, mussel, razor clam...) dish over mixing it with meat. I also hate peas with a passion. :mask:

Basically, improving on this recipe based on my experience, I would make the chorizo brown but save the chorizo for a tapa, but still cook the onion and such with the chorizoey oil. Also bay leaf as you cook the chorizo is :innocent:.
Who knew the RC cooks thread would have the most emotion behind it.

I totally have been adapting this to use more seafood (but I love chorizo) and I also threw in some more veggies really just a ton more peppers. I just like this because its super easy.

DONT skip the shrimp shells in the broth though its crucial.

Mr. Gela

Discord: theo#7722
Who knew the RC cooks thread would have the most emotion behind it.

I totally have been adapting this to use more seafood (but I love chorizo) and I also threw in some more veggies really just a ton more peppers. I just like this because its super easy.

DONT skip the shrimp shells in the broth though its crucial.
An alternative to the shrimp broth at the start, if you're boiling the shrimp, you can just filter that liquid and add the saffron afterwards. Probably tastes the same.

Also I love those

Involuntary Twitch

Pixel Artist & Writer
I love cooking, it's something I do at the end of a long day to unwind. I love to eat good food, so learning to cook was basically a shortcut for that!

Here's a recipe I invented that I make almost every week. It seems like a lot of work but actually I can have it ready in about 30 minutes. It's healthy, filling, and delicious!
Some of these ingredients might be fairly hard to find in your average American supermarket, but they are very cheap and common in almost every Asian market. It's definitely worth exploring different types of food markets in your area! Miso paste, wakame seaweed and udon noodles are all sometimes difficult to find, but so worth it due to how tasty they are. Frozen dumplings are good to just keep in your freezer in case of food-emergencies, anyway.

Hearty Miso Soup

(for the broth)
- 8 cups water
- 3 tablespoons miso paste
- 1 quart chicken broth (optional)
- a heaping pinch of wakame seaweed
- soy sauce (optional)

(for the bits)
- 1 block cubed tofu
- 1 package of mushrooms (white, portobello, or shiitake - I love shiitake)
- 2 carrots
- 1 bunch kale
- 8-10 frozen dumplings

(for the noodles)
1 packet fresh or dried udon noodles

----

BROTH & NOODLES PREP

Take a large pot and fill it with 8-10 cups of water. Put it on the stove and while it's heating, stir in the miso paste until it dissolves. Add chicken broth for additional flavor, and sprinkle a generous pinch of wakame seaweed into the mixture. Raise temperature to medium-high but try not to boil it. Make sure to taste it to make sure it's not too salty or too watery. If it's too watery, add miso paste. If too salty, add water.

In a separate pot, bring water to boil and add the udon noodles. Cook for as long as the package says, usually 7-10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.

BITS PREP

Cube the tofu into 1/2 inch chunks and wrap in paper towel to drain excess moisture. Wash mushrooms and remove stems (if shiitakes), then slice vertically. Wash carrots & slice them into rounds.

Take a non-stick pan and add some canola or vegetable oil and heat it up. When it's hot enough, add the tofu and let it cook for 3-5 minutes or until it starts to turn golden brown. Add carrots and cook for 1-2 minutes more, making sure to turn over the tofu. Add mushrooms. Take kale and shred it by hand into bite-sized chunks, then add it to the pan (it will cook down so you can keep adding more). Season with soy sauce and let it all simmer together for another minute or so. Then turn off the heat and carefully pour the entire stir-fry into the Miso broth.

Add frozen dumplings 3-5 minutes prior to serving, so that they have time to thaw but they won't disintegrate. Serve by putting noodles in bowl first, then ladling soup and bits on top.
Eat with chopsticks and make sure to slurp extra loud to show your appreciation!

Grapz

Totally not slacking off
Oh man we doin a Cooking Thread?

Prepare for a Hearty Hungarian Meal, a recipe passed down with my family.
I'm gonna warn you though, there is only a small amount of time in the year where this stuff can be made reliably. It's when Plums are just out of season, you don't want them too ripe or it'll be too sour. Too late and they'll be mushy. Usually this is around the end August, but it'll differ based on where you live.

Keep in mind I am copying this from an old family cookbook and so the directions are... unclear... on some things.

Grapz' Family Plum Dumplings
Dough

- 2 Lbs Potatoes (usually 2 large or 3 medium sized)
- 1 Tbs Cream of Wheat
- 1/4 Cup Margarine
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2 - 2 Cups Flour

Cook Potatoes in jacket, Russet baking (until not white). Peel and mince it. Add Cream of Wheat, Margarine, egg, and flour. Feel it, it should be stiff. Add flour until it doesn't stick to your hands. If you let it stand it will get soft. When you get the right firm, yet workable consistency, work fast.

Plums

- 20-25 Plums
- Cinnamon Sugar to taste
- 1/3-1/2 lb. Unseasoned Bread Crumbs

- 1/4 cup Magarine

Prepare plums, pit and fill with cinnamon sugar. Roll dough into a log, slice into 3/8 to 1 inch wide slices. Put dough into floured palm and flatten. Put plum in dough, wrapping dough around plum, and pinch closed very tightly. Gently boil Dumplings for 12-15 minutes or until they rise to the top. (8 at a time) Brown white unseasoned bread crumbs 1/3 - 1/2 lb. in 1/4 cup margarine until Rosy. Roll dumplings in crumbs after they are well drained.

Serve Hot. Prepares 20-25 dumplings.

Shgeldz

Oh man we doin a Cooking Thread?

Prepare for a Hearty Hungarian Meal, a recipe passed down with my family.
I'm gonna warn you though, there is only a small amount of time in the year where this stuff can be made reliably. It's when Plums are just out of season, you don't want them too ripe or it'll be too sour. Too late and they'll be mushy. Usually this is around the end August, but it'll differ based on where you live.

Keep in mind I am copying this from an old family cookbook and so the directions are... unclear... on some things.

Grapz' Family Plum Dumplings
Dough
- 2 Lbs Potatoes (usually 2 large or 3 medium sized)
- 1 Tbs Cream of Wheat
- 1/4 Cup Margarine
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2 - 2 Cups Flour

Cook Potatoes in jacket, Russet baking (until not white). Peel and mince it. Add Cream of Wheat, Margarine, egg, and flour. Feel it, it should be stiff. Add flour until it doesn't stick to your hands. If you let it stand it will get soft. When you get the right firm, yet workable consistency, work fast.

Plums
- 20-25 Plums
- Cinnamon Sugar to taste
- 1/3-1/2 lb. Unseasoned Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 cup Magarine

Prepare plums, pit and fill with cinnamon sugar. Roll dough into a log, slice into 3/8 to 1 inch wide slices. Put dough into floured palm and flatten. Put plum in dough, wrapping dough around plum, and pinch closed very tightly. Gently boil Dumplings for 12-15 minutes or until they rise to the top. (8 at a time) Brown white unseasoned bread crumbs 1/3 - 1/2 lb. in 1/4 cup margarine until Rosy. Roll dumplings in crumbs after they are well drained.

Serve Hot. Prepares 20-25 dumplings.
Omg I went abroad in budapest and will be making these after passover.

SmokedPaprika

Stinky Person
Here's something I made today
Try it out

Chicken Alfredo with Mozzarella Sticks

zLaTwc7.jpg

Breadcrumbs:

1 tsp Garlic Salt
½ tsp Pepper
¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)
½ Bay Leaf
2 pieces of sliced bread
(Cut all of the above in half if not doing Mozz. Sticks.)

Mozzarella Stick and Chicken:

1 egg (don’t cut in half; how could you even cut this in half, why would you, please don’t be wasteful, think of the chickens whose lives you may be dumping down a drain… rather than devouring mercilessly)
1 Tbsp Water (don’t cut in half)
½ cup flour
(Cut all of the above in half if not doing Mozz. Sticks.)

4 sticks string mozzarella cheese
Thin sliced chicken breast

Alfredo Sauce:
2 tbsp butter.
¼ cup milk.
1 garlic clove, minced.
¼ - ½ cup parmesan.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Pasta of your choice.

Set oven to 250 F.
Cut sliced bread into 4*4 squares.
Put bread in oven until dry and hard, but not browned, around 25-35 minutes.
Mix garlic salt, pepper, cayenne, and bay leaf together in the meantime.
Put all together in a food processor and blend until fine.
Set oven to 400 F (ignore if not doing mozzarella sticks)
Put ¼ flour in one bowl, one egg in another, and half of the breadcrumbs in a third.
Cover the cheese sticks in the flour, then the egg, and finally the breadcrumbs. Repeat for each cheese stick.
Wrap the cheese in aluminum foil and freeze until a specified step.
Add the rest of the flour and breadcrumbs to their consecutive bowls.
Do the same with the chicken that you did with the breadcrumbs.
Add 1 tbsp butter to skillet.
Prepare alfredo sauce ingredients and prepare a pan full of water for pasta.
Cook the chicken, flipping it until it is cooked through.
While doing this, melt the butter in a pan with garlic, then add milk once fully melted. Cook until chicken is done, then add parmesan, salt, and pepper.
Remove chicken from pan once complete. Pour remaining juices into alfredo sauce.
Get cheese sticks out of freezer and bake for 6-8 minutes.
Add chicken back to skillet. Top with parmesan and cover until cheese is melted.
Drain pasta, toss with alfredo sauce.
Serve chicken on top of pasta.
Take Mozz. Sticks out of oven when complete and add to plate as a side.

Enjoy, or don't, because you'll probably never make it. It's whatever.

Domiok

Local Goof
Hey, I found this tasty Spicy Korean BBQ Noodles recipe based on this one dish at the restaurant Noodles and Company. It turned out very tasty and pretty close to the original! Go try it out if you get the chance.
The recipe is here, but I will include the recipe below in case the target gets nuked.
SPICY KOREAN BEEF NOODLES

PREP TIME: 5 mins
COOK TIME: 25 mins
TOTAL TIME: 30 mins

One pan spicy Korean beef noodles recipe made with a simple Korean marinade and ramen noodles with onions and mushrooms makes a tasty dinner you'll have ready in just 30 minutes.
Author: Tiffany
Recipe type: Main Dish
Cuisine: Asian
Serves: 4

INGREDIENTS
about 1 pound flank steak
2 tablespoons oil
4 tablespoons gochujang (Korean chile paste found in the Asian section of most grocery stores- see note)
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
2 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
4 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3 teaspoons sesame oil
4 teaspoons sugar
2 packages beef ramen, including seasoning + 1½ cups water
½ white onion, thinly sliced
½ cup sliced mushrooms

INSTRUCTIONS
In a small bowl whisk together gochujang, green onions, soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and sugar. Pour half of mixture into a large ziplock bag. Add steak to bag, seal, and chill for 30 minutes or up to overnight. Cover remaining sauce and chill until ready to use.
Drizzle oil into a large pan or skillet and bring to medium-high heat. Use tongs to transfer steak from bag to pan (keep marinade in the bag) and cook for 5-8 minutes on each side until well-browned on the outside. Transfer steak to a large cutting boar and allow to rest while you move on to the next step.
Add onions, mushrooms, ramen noodles, ramen seasoning, and beef marinade from the bag to the pan. Pour water over the top and bring to a simmer. Allow to cook for 5-7 minutes until noodles tender and cooked through.
Thinly slice steak across the grain. Add steak strips and reserved sauce to the pan and stir everything to combine. Cook for a few minutes just until steak is hot throughout, garnish with green onions if desired and serve immediately.

NOTES
Gochujang sauce can be found in most grocery stores in the Asian section. If you don't care to buy it because you're worried about being able to use it all up (I totally get it) you can make a substitute by mashing together 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, and ¼ teaspoon sugar to form a paste. It won't taste the exact same as the gochujang sauce (I totally think it's worth buying!) but it will give the sauce some of that sweet heat flavor.
O7GNW4p.jpg

Last edited:

Djaco75

MasterMind
Just a little cannoli recipe from Italian culture. If you do attempt to do this, be warned: it is quite difficult and the cannoli are quite fiddly to fry properly. I haven't actually followed this recipe before, so I hope you guys find that it works for you! I found it in a cookbook I was leafing through a few days ago...

Good Luck.

Cannoli Recipe – MAKES 50 CANNOLI:
Ingredients:
· 680 grams plain flour
· 130 grams icing sugar
· 160 grams butter or lard
· 2 eggs
· 3-4 egg yolks
· 250 ml marsala
· ½ cup of glace cherries
· 1 teaspoon of orange essence
· 1 teaspoon of rum
· 300 grams of fresh ricotta
· 100 grams caster sugar
· 200 grams mascarpone
· ½ cup of candied citrus peel
· 2 tablespoons of chopped dark chocolate
· 1 egg – beaten
· Sunflower oil for frying
· Icing sugar for dusting

Method:
1. The day before, mix egg, icing sugar and stir in butter or lard. Add egg yolks and marsala. Mix together until a dough like substance is formed.
2. Transfer mixture to a work surface (floured) and knead for a few minutes. Cover dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
3. Soak glace cherries in orange essence in rum overnight as well.
4. The next day, beat ricotta and caster sugar together with electric beaters for around 2 minutes. Beat in the mascarpone and fold in the cherries, candied orange peel and chocolate. Chill in fridge.
5. Divide the dough mixture into smaller pieces to make it easier to work with. Roll through a pasta machine on the widest setting. After the dough has passed through, fold it in half and do this process again. Do this until it is smooth. After doing this, roll it on the 1mm setting. Lay each piece of rolled dough on a floured surface.
6. Cut sheets into 10mm wide circles and brush each circle with beaten egg. Wrap each circle around a cannoli tube. Brush more egg onto each rolled circle, gluing the end of the circle down.
7. Deep fry each circle in hot oil for 30 seconds or until golden-brown in colour. Drain each cannoli and remove from pan.
8. Fill cannoli with ricotta mixture before serving. Dust with icing sugar as a finished touch.

Attachments

• pic3eMjub.jpg
    pic3eMjub.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 149

Domiok

Local Goof
That really looks really excellent, @Djaco75! I'll have to give that recipe a shot! I've never made cannolis, but they're quite the treat.

I've been trying to improve how I cook omelettes over the last few days, so I decided to go with the familiar omurice! I've made it several times now, and it's a fairly straightforward dish. Prepare your veggies, meat, and rice. Cook together. Start cooking the eggs separatey, and toss the medley onto the eggs when the time is right. I'll include the formal recipe that I found and my most recent attempt at it below.

My biggest struggle with omelettes has been getting the right consistency so that the egg doesn't fall apart. Here are some of my tips that seem to work for me:
  • Make sure to salt and pepper your yolk beforehand. The eggs get too fluffy to stay thinly together if I forget to do that.
  • Spread your yolk evenly in a circle around your pan.
  • Cook the eggs on low heat, and remove your pan from the heat occasionally to let the pan cool down. This gives enough time for the eggs to gradually cook and for you to judge when the eggs are ready for your other ingredients. If my eggs cook right, I'm able to scrape the eggs off the pan like I would with a pancake.
Happy cooking!
Omurice (Omelette Rice)
SERVES 2
Easy fried rice flavored with sweet, tangy ketchup and wrapped in an egg omelette.

INGREDIENTS
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 scallion, finely chopped
1 small carrot, finely chopped
4 ounces beef (or pork, chicken or shrimp), ground or finely chopped
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1-1/2 tablespoon ketchup (adjust to taste), and more for decoration
salt and pepper
Oil for pan frying
2 servings of cooked rice
4 eggs

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Prepare the fried rice ingredients by finely chopping them.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the onion, scallion, carrot, and beef, and stir fry until the onion turns soft and the meat is cooked through. Stir in 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the rice, and stir well until the clumped up rice is broken up and all the ingredients are well combined. Add 1-1/2 tablespoon ketchup and salt and pepper to taste, and continue to stir until the ketchup is evenly incorporated into the fried rice. Transfer to a plate if using the same pan (non-stick) for the eggs.
4. Crack and beat 2 eggs in a bowl with a spoon or a fork. Stir in a pinch of salt. Heat a lightly oiled small non-stick pan over medium low heat. Add the egg mixture to the pan and swirl it around to cover the pan.
5. When the bottom is set but the top is still runny, turn off the heat and add one serving of the fried rice in the middle of the egg omelette.
6. Using a spatula, fold both sides of the omelette over the rice.Push the whole omurice to the side of the pan.
7. Flip it onto a plate. If desired, you can shape the omurice by hand using aluminium foil or a paper towel. Drizzle some ketchup on top. Repeat the last 3 steps for another serving.

NOTES
If the rice is a bit too hard after being in the fridge, heat it up in the microwave to soften it a little.
tvwqeKj.jpg

Shgeldz

That really looks really excellent, @Djaco75! I'll have to give that recipe a shot! I've never made cannolis, but they're quite the treat.

I've been trying to improve how I cook omelettes over the last few days, so I decided to go with the familiar omurice! I've made it several times now, and it's a fairly straightforward dish. Prepare your veggies, meat, and rice. Cook together. Start cooking the eggs separatey, and toss the medley onto the eggs when the time is right. I'll include the formal recipe that I found and my most recent attempt at it below.

My biggest struggle with omelettes has been getting the right consistency so that the egg doesn't fall apart. Here are some of my tips that seem to work for me:
  • Make sure to salt and pepper your yolk beforehand. The eggs get too fluffy to stay thinly together if I forget to do that.
  • Spread your yolk evenly in a circle around your pan.
  • Cook the eggs on low heat, and remove your pan from the heat occasionally to let the pan cool down. This gives enough time for the eggs to gradually cook and for you to judge when the eggs are ready for your other ingredients. If my eggs cook right, I'm able to scrape the eggs off the pan like I would with a pancake.
Happy cooking!
Omurice (Omelette Rice)
SERVES 2
Easy fried rice flavored with sweet, tangy ketchup and wrapped in an egg omelette.

INGREDIENTS
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 scallion, finely chopped
1 small carrot, finely chopped
4 ounces beef (or pork, chicken or shrimp), ground or finely chopped
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1-1/2 tablespoon ketchup (adjust to taste), and more for decoration
salt and pepper
Oil for pan frying
2 servings of cooked rice
4 eggs

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Prepare the fried rice ingredients by finely chopping them.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the onion, scallion, carrot, and beef, and stir fry until the onion turns soft and the meat is cooked through. Stir in 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the rice, and stir well until the clumped up rice is broken up and all the ingredients are well combined. Add 1-1/2 tablespoon ketchup and salt and pepper to taste, and continue to stir until the ketchup is evenly incorporated into the fried rice. Transfer to a plate if using the same pan (non-stick) for the eggs.
4. Crack and beat 2 eggs in a bowl with a spoon or a fork. Stir in a pinch of salt. Heat a lightly oiled small non-stick pan over medium low heat. Add the egg mixture to the pan and swirl it around to cover the pan.
5. When the bottom is set but the top is still runny, turn off the heat and add one serving of the fried rice in the middle of the egg omelette.
6. Using a spatula, fold both sides of the omelette over the rice.Push the whole omurice to the side of the pan.
7. Flip it onto a plate. If desired, you can shape the omurice by hand using aluminium foil or a paper towel. Drizzle some ketchup on top. Repeat the last 3 steps for another serving.

NOTES
If the rice is a bit too hard after being in the fridge, heat it up in the microwave to soften it a little.
tvwqeKj.jpg
Give this french omlette recipe a try @Domiok. A bit plain, but the eggs themselves were amazing

Domiok

Local Goof
Give this french omlette recipe a try @Domiok. A bit plain, but the eggs themselves were amazing

I haven't used butter yet! I should have known :joy:.
Informative and fun. The chef's technique is intriguing, especially how he shifts around the eggs in the pan. I look forward to trying that tomorrow.

Mozart

Annoying Twit
Any other time of day I would pull out stuff from the actual Family Cookbook (TM) and share something I like with y'all.

But right now I just have the Pokemon cookbook that I actually bought with real money.

So unless you want me to flip through and randomly pick out a goofy recipeeehhh from there I'll have to get back to this tomorrow haha

Back