• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Map So, I want to make a fan game, using the regular Pokemon Formula (8 Gyms, 1 Evil Team, etc.) Here is a concept doodle of the 'region'

This thread's author wants feedback on a map. Be constructive.

Mega Greninja

Professional Amateur Creator
Concept Region.png

Upvote 0

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
It's kind of hard to give feedback on this as is, to be honest. Maybe if you gave more context, that would help? As in, a brief description of each point on this map (I guess those are cities?). For example, #1 is a town in a forest, #4 is a mining town, #6 is a big city by the ocean. That could help us understand the flow of your game and how the different parts of this region fit together.

Mega Greninja

Professional Amateur Creator
It's kind of hard to give feedback on this as is, to be honest. Maybe if you gave more context, that would help? As in, a brief description of each point on this map (I guess those are cities?). For example, #1 is a town in a forest, #4 is a mining town, #6 is a big city by the ocean. That could help us understand the flow of your game and how the different parts of this region fit together.
Yeah, that's understandable. Welp, like I said it's just a concept. Some ideas I have are for point 1 to be a small starting town, situated on top of a mountain, points 5 and/or 6 being cities whose economy is based on fishing or marine shiping. I also want to have a forest situated early on (between 2 or 3 maybe) and one or two caves.

King_Waluigi

The King of Waaahh!
Yeah, that's understandable. Welp, like I said it's just a concept. Some ideas I have are for point 1 to be a small starting town, situated on top of a mountain, points 5 and/or 6 being cities whose economy is based on fishing or marine shiping. I also want to have a forest situated early on (between 2 or 3 maybe) and one or two caves.
i think one thing to remember is that you don't want the region to be so linear. at first glance, it doesn't seem that way but something I noticed is that the towns are all connected by a singular route, kinda like "Starter Town - Route 1 - Next Town - Route 2 - Gym 1 City - Route 3"

look at official pokemon game maps for inspiration and also other fangame maps for inspiration!

for example:
kanto: we have a lot of towns/cities connected to multiple routes, there isn't just one route shoved between each town, makes playing/exploring much more fun! there are also lots of interesting landmarks too!
LGPE-Map_Kanto.png

sinnoh: same as kanto in terms of design, but more diverse and even better designed
sinnoh.jpg

unova: if you do really want to keep with linearity, unova's map does it best, not like the gross/subpar galar map ahaha. there is pretty much just one way to go, but it is still designed in a loop, where you kinda make your way around and come back to where you started.
unova.png

That's kinda all I got! Good luck!

Back