• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released OpenPokemon - Beta 0.03

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Released
Project Version
ezgif-1-c0c8321713.jpg

Hi! My name is Figgity, and this is my pokemon fan game, OpenPokemon!

OpenPokemon is my very first fangame. Made in godot, it's a fully open world pokemon game. I wanted to make something akin to Legends Arceus meets ARK: Survival Evolved meets my weird mind. In the future it will focus on pokemon as animals in the wild, with more in depth training. Like real animals!

DOWNLOAD HERE (MEGA)
To play, unzip and leave everything in the folder. Launch the OpenPokemon4.exe to play!

The (Open) World
ezgif-3-bb55a75373.jpg

The world of OpenPokemon is set on a vast, randomly generated archapeligo, with diverse biomes and pokemon, dungeons and challenges to face, and ruins of a past world, with secrets interspersed. As developement continues, more variation will be added to the islands. The world is heavily inspired to almost ripped from gen 5, as you can see from the trees!

Battling (I know you love my programmer art <3)
ezgif-3-0c206cbb2b.jpg
ezgif-3-505d782659.jpg

The battling in OpenPokemon is going to be cartridge accurate- with some tweaks for balance in a sandbox setting. Some pokemon getting new abilities or different movesets, or moves being altered or even brought back. I don't want to touch the type chart or pokemon stats at all, with the exception of mega evolutions, which will be included but rebalanced to work in a way that doesn't discourage team variety.

Battling Sidenote- Difficulty
Battling is at the heart of pokemon, and many fangames and romhacks aspire to fix the problems with the battle system. While I like this approach, I think in many ways this can also be achieved by changing the difficulty of the core game, making things that are normal in pokemon harder, like restoring health and PP, without them feeling unfair. Of course, some moves and abilities will be changed just for the sake of balance as the entire format of the game is different.

Wilder Wild Pokemon
ezgif-3-8c3568515d.jpg

Wild pokemon are the heart and soul of OpenPokemon. The wild pokemon will wander about, and have different temperements and behaviors per species. Pokemon will have a lot of variety in what you need to do to catch them, some as simple as taming them, while stronger pokemon require you to raise them from an egg (Don't worry, leveling will be easier for these due to the presence of mini-quests to accelerate their growth). Something I wanted to recreate was how the pokedex talks about some pokemon eat things or go to places to evolve, so many pokemon will have mini-quests to get their evolution, needing to eat a food or use an item.

Whats Next?
The roadmap for OpenPokemon is a long one, but a hopeful one. I've been working on it for a few years, but the past few months have really picked up steam as my skills develop. Thanks to everyone thats helped me learn! The roadmap, in no particular order, currently looks something like this:

More Biomes
Crafting
Structures
Base Building
Bosses (Pokemon and trainers)
Recruitable NPC's
Wild Pokemon improvements
Story
THE FUTURE

Credits to:
Godot, the engine. I'm using godot 4 for this, and plan to release the tools I've made for public use. In the meantime, DM me if you want help or advice with a pokemon project in godot or check out the discord thats linked here, a community for a godot pokemon toolkit in developement as well as just people like me making pokemon projects in godot.

HeartBeast - I'm using a sprite from his action RPG tutorial as the character sprite before getting one, as well as just generally being a useful resource for me.

Gen 8 Essentials Pack - Even though I'm not using it in its intended place, I got a most of the pokemon sprites from this. Thanks to Golisopod User, among others for it.

Gen 9 Essentials Pack - Same as gen 8 essentials, but has things from PLA+. Very good! Thanks to Caruban, among others for it.

PDSMS - A program for making maps in DS pokemon games. I used it to find out how gen 5 models worked to apply to this.

My friends that aren't on relic castle for helping me with the art!

Last edited:

RandomAccess

Ambitious Upstart
Hey I'm actually developing a 2.5D Pokémon fan game engine for Godot. Would you be interested in any collaboration?

Back