• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Looking on Feedback on my ideas for the game I'm working on

Some Pokémon Guy

Rookie
I’ve got a project that I’ve been working on for about two months; it’s currently playable a short way past the first gym, but I would still say it’s probably not developed enough to justify trying to post it in the progressing projects forum. Still, I think it would be helpful to me to get some feedback on whether my ideas for it are something anyone else finds interesting, or if I’d be better off spending my time on something else.

The largest plotline would involve Team Rainbow Rocket, and their interaction with the plotlines of the various regions. The player starts out in a world where Pokémon don’t exist, and after a very short introduction, they basically get isekai’d into Kanto, as a way to introduce the parallel worlds element of the plot. Oak finds the player being attacked by a wild Pokemon, and offers to go through his contacts to try and help the player find their way home, and meanwhile have the player do fieldwork for him. The point where my game currently ends is when the player encounters Rainbow Rocket working to muscle in on Team Rocket’s raid on Mt. Moon.

The Rainbow Rocket plotline would continue as you use Ultra Wormholes to travel between worlds, as they work to gain wealth and power based on what is going on in each region. The Rainbow Rocket plotline would likely finish in an alternate, nightmarish Kanto where they have overtly taken over, and made their base in that world’s Indigo Plateau. Part of the plot will likely involve gathering allies for the showdown, and I’ve got a picture in my mind of regular Team Rocket’s Giovanni teaming up with you to push out Rainbow Rocket. I’m also working out what ‘Rainbow Silver’ would be like, since Rocket was never disbanded in their world so Rainbow Rocket’s Giovanni would have kept a tighter leash on his son.

In addition to revisiting regions the main series has been to, I’ve got ideas for a new region for this game. I wanted to make the ‘Villainous Team’s’ plotline for this region be an allegory for Dexit (and no, not as a tirade bashing Game Freak, the overall message it would get past is that things change, life moves on, and it’s that’s okay, but it’s also okay to be upset about the change – essentially, neither side in the argument is a villain) and so thinking about it that way, it seemed to make the most sense to have the conflict revolve around invasive species, and going with that, basing the region on Australia seems like it would work best. I would want to be very conservative about the number of fakemon I’d include, but there would at least be some.

Other than that, plot-wise I would be hitting most of the same beats as the main games to, although there are definitely parts worth elaborating on; for instance, why is Kanto the only league without a champion? (Besides Alola, for obvious reasons.) Lance’s dialogue when you beat him implies that you’d have become champion immediately after beating him, if Blue hadn’t gotten there first, indicating no preexisting champion. The dialogue and events that I have so far that you have to go through to get Brock to even show up in my game imply that the league is dysfunctional. There’s going to be more to catching Mewtwo than just climbing down Cerulean Cave; I’m going to make explicit what the games only implied. For instance, Rocket invades Sylph for the Master Ball specifically because they need it to catch Mewtwo, who had escaped their labs in an earlier event. The Mythical Pokemon will also get more complex events around obtaining them than just “A mystery gift delivery man gives it to you.”

I’m having a fairly easy time eventing, and I’m not totally inept at coding (although it’s javascript rather than ruby that I’ve taken classes for). That said, there is some work that I would need help with, but before I ask for help I want to know that it’s a project that people would have some interest in. For instance, I like the idea of there being multiple routes to take to reach “Pokemon Mastery” besides just battling, and so, for instance, I would want to implement contests as a route to chase. I also liked the idea of the research tasks in Legends: Arceus, and would want to implement something like that for a Pokemon Professor path or something like that.

Upvote 0
Back