• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Westrah's Non-binary Support

Resource Westrah's Non-binary Support 1.0

Westrah

Novice
Westrah submitted a new resource:

[PE v20.1] Westrah's Non-binary Support - Step-by-step script/guide on adding a third NB playable character option to your game.

I have been interested in creating a fan-made game with a third gender/genderless option for a long time. Most to all support for this option that I have found however is for older versions of Pokémon Essentials.

So, I decided to work on scripting a way to add a completely separate and functional non-binary protagonist in a fan-made game programmed with Pokémon Essentials v20.1. Because of the lack of PE v20 non-binary support that I've been able to find, here I am sharing my finished and...

Read more about this resource...

Taymation

Novice
Neat! I just added something similar to my game like 3 days ago... but I did it by just making a lot of switches and each event that would mention your gender has several pages based on what you chose at the beginning... it's a bit of a pain. This should make things easier though. I will definitely be implementing a lot of this. Thanks!

TITAN

Rookie
Could this contribution work in 16.2?
I speak Spanish, that's why I don't use the new English versions.

You could just translate the latest versions.

TITAN

Rookie
Podrías simplemente traducir las últimas versiones.
The problem is that also my pc does not let me use other versions due to problems with OpenGL and the new engine does not let me use anything above 16.2.

Westrah

Novice
16.2 uses a different coding language, this would not work for anything before v20.1

Miho

Rookie
I tried using this and it works perfectly, except for the Trainer Card, which keeps crashing. I get the error message "Exception: NoMethodError. Message: undefined method 'width' for nil:NilClass". This shows for every gender, not just the NB option.

Miho

Rookie

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 90

sapphirechuu

Rookie
For anyone looking for it (I didn't see it in the tutorial), to change the message color for player gender from the default black, you're gonna need to find the "Messages" script and go down to line 450 and add in the Enby color you want there. I did it like this (Let me know if there's a better way but this was the first way my brain thought of):

Enby Text:
Expand Collapse Copy
# Non-Binary Gender, Orange Text 
text.gsub!(/\\pg/i,  "\\c[10]") if !$player&.male? || !$player&.female?

KP17

Novice
Probably a dumb question but how do I go about adding the option in the intro now that I've made the changes in the script and added the necessary graphics?

LinKazamine

Champion
Just add the option in the Show Choices command. That is how it works in the default intro of pokémon essentials. Just look at how the boy and girl options are done and do the same for the new gender.

KP17

Novice
Just add the option in the Show Choices command. That is how it works in the default intro of pokémon essentials. Just look at how the boy and girl options are done and do the same for the new gender.
Thank you! I hope to some how display all three character images at the same time but this works perfectly!

LinKazamine

Champion
You can do that with the rpg maker command "Show images" and display the images for the 3 characters rigth before the player has to choose their gender and deleting the images afterwards. The other option is to search for a character selection screen that allows for more than 2 characters, edit those that only allow for 2 characters to display 3 or make your own plugin for that.

KP17

Novice
You can do that with the rpg maker command "Show images" and display the images for the 3 characters right before the player has to choose their gender and deleting the images afterwards. The other option is to search for a character selection screen that allows for more than 2 characters, edit those that only allow for 2 characters to display 3 or make your own plugin for that.
I've tried the show picture but I can't figure out the placements or how to make 3 appear at once. I'm also not versed in how to make plugins. So far If you pick whichever gender it shows the right image but I don't know how to add going back from the one initially chosen

LinKazamine

Champion
You just have to use the Show Picture command for each image you want to show, just give them a different number to each of them, which is what the program uses to identify the pictures.
1693984669076.png

In this case, you want to show 3 images so you would use this 3 times but with numbers 1, 2 and 3. For all the other commands for pictures (Move picture, rotate picture, change picture color tone and erase picture) use this number to identify which picture you want to modify or delete. So, once the player chooses a gender, you delete the ones they didn't choose and move the other one (if you want it centred).
The x and y of the constants will place the picture where you tell it, so adjust the numbers there until the images are where you want them.

As for the whole event, it would be something like this:
1693985128213.png

(I didn't add the question for girl and the third option so I could take a picture of them as well, you'll have to add them but you get the idea).

You don't need to add anything when the player chooses yes aside from defining the player (that I forgot to add in the example) unless you want to delete the player's image for the rest of the intro (you can show it again later by using a conditional branch with the code $player.gender==0 for boy, $player.gender=1 for girl and the else for the third gender), or there's something gender exclusive you want to set for the game like wild encounters version, the "default" theme for a menu or something like that. You can set the rest of the intro scene after the choices and it should go on like that.

KP17

Novice
You just have to use the Show Picture command for each image you want to show, just give them a different number to each of them, which is what the program uses to identify the pictures.
View attachment 20815
In this case, you want to show 3 images so you would use this 3 times but with numbers 1, 2 and 3. For all the other commands for pictures (Move picture, rotate picture, change picture color tone and erase picture) use this number to identify which picture you want to modify or delete. So, once the player chooses a gender, you delete the ones they didn't choose and move the other one (if you want it centred).
The x and y of the constants will place the picture where you tell it, so adjust the numbers there until the images are where you want them.

As for the whole event, it would be something like this:
View attachment 20816
(I didn't add the question for girl and the third option so I could take a picture of them as well, you'll have to add them but you get the idea).

You don't need to add anything when the player chooses yes aside from defining the player (that I forgot to add in the example) unless you want to delete the player's image for the rest of the intro (you can show it again later by using a conditional branch with the code $player.gender==0 for boy, $player.gender=1 for girl and the else for the third gender), or there's something gender exclusive you want to set for the game like wild encounters version, the "default" theme for a menu or something like that. You can set the rest of the intro scene after the choices and it should go on like that.
Thank you so much for taking the time to show me this!

Back