• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Entertainment Any Recommendations for a DS/3DS Games?

SamanthaTheShadowDragon

Rookie
I'm trying to find something brand new to play, does anyone have any good ideas on what I should get for my 3DS?
I don't want anything I've already have or seen, I need to have at least something new to try.
Anything non-retaliated to Pokemon, Mario, Kirby, Zelda, Sonic, Fire Emblem, or any crap listened games

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet?
If you've got any kind of moderate interest in JRPGs have a look at Bravely Default (and if you like that one, Bravely Second). It's not maybe the best game on the 3DS but it should keep you busy for a while.

Mr. Gela

Discord: theo#7722
Bravely Default and Bravely Second (sequel, so play that after, but not immediately or you'll feel burned out) are my favourite JRPGs for the console. It plays a lot like very job-based games like Final Fantasy V, with many jobs to obtain (more in the sequel) and to master. It feels "modern", too. If you don't feel like fighting random encounters, turn them off at will. Game too easy? Several levels of difficulty you can change on the fly to make it harder (I just go with Normal though). The Default mechanic is pretty good, basically "Defaulting" makes you Guard, but you also generate an extra turn. You can also Brave up to 3 times to execute up to 4 moves in one turn, but they also consume extra turns. You can store Defaulted turns, but you can also have -3 to -1 turns, and be forced to do nothing with that character for that amount of turns. Grinding is not too tiresome either. Win streaks, winning in one turn and winning many encounter battles in a row increases XP and JP gains. You may even "Auto" battle, using your last used command to mindlessly grind while your zombie self is thinking of new ripe memes.

Fantasy Life is a cute mix between, hm... Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing? You can master up to 9 different jobs. Some are crafters (Carpenter, Tailor, Cook, Smith, Alchemy, probably forgot one), others are about fighting (Hunter, Paladin, Mercenary, Mage), and others are into recollecting (Angler, uhhhh woodperson, rockperson...Miner! That's the word). It has a story you need to follow if you want to reach better ingredient zones, and if you're into grinding and cutesy you'll probably like it. It's alright, although later on I felt it was repetitive.

Miitopia is a meme but repetitive "JRPG". Since your characters (which are Miis) have personalities, they will often use unexpected attack patterns (since you only control the first character you make/the protagonist of the story) such as cowering behind an ally to make them take the hit, or deciding to be stingy and save MP but also use a weaker skill. Characters can also grow friendly towards the rest, resulting in combined attacks and whatever, but this also means characters can become mad at others, sabotaging their attacks or getting them in a pinch. It's pretty cool, but since you have so little control (and it's a very easy game), it might not entertain you for long. Keep in mind you can change the cast (characters in the story and your party) at any time, and you can also change jobs at a later point too, so there's virtually no reason to restart the game if you just want to edit a character or something.

Dragon Quest VIII is by far the best game I've played on the 3DS, and it's a PlayStation 2 "remaster" (PS2 version looks better, but the 3DS has a new ending, 2 new optional playable characters, cool new features like battle speed-up, etc). It's a super fun, super charming, super vibrant adventure with super special characters. This is a MUST play if you didn't in the PS2 era. Don't worry about Dragon Quest VII, though, that's not nearly as good in my opinion.

Back