• Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly! You can learn how to add images to your posts here.

Am I allowed to use Essentials data for an external project?

gabbinetto

Rookie
I'm working on a Pokémon project not related to RPG Maker and I need pokemon data, graphics ... etc. Can I do this or do I first have to ask permission from one of the developers?

The graphics are all ripped from canon Pokemon games, so Essentials doesn't have a monopoly over their use or anything. It'd probably be simplest to credit the people who originally ripped them if you can track them down. (Likely all on spriters-resource) Essentials' credits might have them listed, but it doesn't list who contributed what to Essentials, so I'm not sure that they're included.

How are you planning on using Essentials data if the project isn't done with RPG Maker?

gabbinetto

Rookie
The graphics are all ripped from canon Pokemon games, so Essentials doesn't have a monopoly over their use or anything. It'd probably be simplest to credit the people who originally ripped them if you can track them down. (Likely all on spriters-resource) Essentials' credits might have them listed, but it doesn't list who contributed what to Essentials, so I'm not sure that they're included.

How are you planning on using Essentials data if the project isn't done with RPG Maker?
I thought so about graphics, what about all the .txt files like the pokemon or item data? Of course I don't intend to monetize anything of this

Sipondo

Don't Go, Pikachu! & Ulix Dexflow framework
Ulix Dexflow uses Essentials PBS data and images. I had a small discussion about this a year or so ago and in the end the easiest solution was to just credit the whole thing :)

gabbinetto

Rookie
Ulix Dexflow uses Essentials PBS data and images. I had a small discussion about this a year or so ago and in the end the easiest solution was to just credit the whole thing :)
It was already my intention to credit the Essentials team, thank you!

Back