• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Alpha Genesis

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
title.png

Pokemon Alpha Genesis

V1.0.0

Begin your adventure in a brand new region called Simpal. There, you will go about your simple life of become a pokemon Master.
Joining you on this adventure is your Best Friend, who you have known since you were little, and has helped you along the way.
And then there is your Rival, who simply is full of himself, and thinks he's better at everything, than you.

Game Screenshots

[2022-08-11] 00_37_27.013.png
[2022-08-11] 00_41_55.947.png
[2022-08-11] 00_43_36.140.png
[2022-08-11] 00_44_27.578.png
[2022-08-11] 00_45_02.333.png
[2022-08-11] 00_45_14.766.png
[2022-08-11] 00_45_54.138.png
[2022-08-11] 00_47_28.220.png

Made Using

RPGMaker XP
&
Pokémon Essentials V20.1

Team

Myself - "Tonystar73"
My 2 Friends - "Jaalmo" & "CasuallyJesus"

Notes

For the most part, I ("Tonystar73") made about about 95% of this game.

My 2 friends were mostly acting as game testers, and giving me ideas or suggestions for various things through out the game.

A fair warning, the game is heavily incomplete. It's missing a lot of NPC's / Trainers that I never had time to add. As well as some of the game not being quite accessible.

I unfortunately did not manage my time very well, what with moving homes, flying out of town for a weekend to a friends wedding, going to a convention another weekend... Just very poorly planned, and also very over ambitious with what I had planned.

I should of taken the advice I've seen mentioned many times by others who have made a Pokemon Fan Game before, but I just didn't listen. All well, I had a lot of fan making this game though, and I did learn a lot from it that I hope to bring with me to the next Game Jam I choose to enter in the future.

Ultimately, I hope those who do give this game a go, at least enjoy it for what it is.

Resource Pack

Credits

"Pokemon Alpha Genesis", created by:
Tonystar73
Jaalmo
CasuallyJesus

Story Writers:
Tonystar73

Map Designers:
Tonystar73

Combat Co-ordinators:
Tonystar73
CasuallyJesus

Game Testers:
Tonystar73
Jaalmo
CasuallyJesus

Credit to:

"downloads.khinsider.com", for:
The Pokemon Diamond and Pearl BGM rips

"niknaks93" on deviantart, for:
HGSS Map Kit

"descendedfromullr" on deviantart, for:
Pokemon HG SS Region Fly Map Master File

Special thanks to:

My younger brother Rui, for:
Trying his best to be involved,
before later leaving the team.

YouTuber "
Thundaga", for:
All the amazing tutorial videos.
Without them, I would have been lost.

"v20.1 Hotfixes plugin" by:
Maruno

"Tileset Rearranger" by:
Maruno

"Generation 8 Pack for Essentials v20.1" by:

Battler Sprites:

Gen 1-5 Pokemon Sprites - veekun
Gen 6 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon X/Y Sprite Project
Gen 7 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon Sun/Moon Sprite Project
Gen 8 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon Sword/Shield Sprite Project

Overworld Sprites:

Gen 6+ Berry Tree Overworlds - Anarlaurendil
Gen 6 Pokemon Overworlds - princess-pheonix, LunarDusk, Wolfang62, TintjeMadelintje101, piphybuilder88
Gen 7 Pokemon Overworlds - Larry Turbo, princess-pheonix
Gen 8 Pokemon Overworlds - SageDeoxys, Wolfang62, LarryTurbo, tammyclaydon
Gen 1-5 Pokemon Overworlds - MissingLukey, help-14, Kymoyonian, cSc-A7X, 2and2makes5, Pokegirl4ever, Fernandojl, Silver-Skies, TyranitarDark, Getsuei-H, Kid1513, Milomilotic11, Kyt666, kdiamo11, Chocosrawlooid, Syledude, Gallanty, Gizamimi-Pichu, 2and2makes5, Zyon17,LarryTurbo, spritesstealer, LarryTurbo

Icon Sprites:

Gen 1-6 Pokemon Icon Sprites - Alaguesia
Gen 7 Pokemon Icon Sprites - Marin, MapleBranchWing, Contributors to the DS Styled Gen 7+ Repository
Gen 8 Icon Sprites - Larry Turbo, Leparagon

Cry Credits:

Gen 1-6 Pokemon Cries - Rhyden
Gen 7 Pokemon Cries - Marin, Rhyden
Gen 8 Pokemon Cries - Zeak6464

Script Credits:
Golisopod User, Luka S.J.

Compilation of Resources:
Golisopod User, UberDunsparce

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Boushy MiDas Mike
Brother1440 Near Fantastica
FL. PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami Popper
Golisopod User Rataime
help-14 Savordez
IceGod64 SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock the__end
KitsuneKouta Venom12
Lisa Anthony Wachunga
Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out

"mkxp-z" by:
Roza
Based on "mkxp" by Ancurio et al.

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

Last edited:

CrimsonTy

Just some guy
Did a Nuzlocke, lost to the first gym.
My final team consisted of Combusken (Teriyaki), Rookiedee (Chessbird), Venipede (Venus II), Zubat (Acrobat), Votlorb (Borltov), and an Egg I never hatched.
Boxed: Wurple (Adrian)
Dead: Makuhita (Wheat) and the Pokemon in the final team.
The game is kinda boring. No trainers except for the Gym Trainers, the rivals showed up once and never appeared, the town the Professor was supposed to be in wasn't there, and homes and towns were empty. It looks like the only thing done was the beginning and the ending with some filler routes.
The starting town had 0 way to heal so I had dangerously low HP Pokemon going into Route 1 (I almost lost my starter to a Rattata). The cave and routes had 0 trainers making it a little annoying to get EXP. The map designs were pretty plain but at least they weren't too open or too cramped. Also Pinsir shouldn't be is a place where Pokemon are in the mid 10s.

I understand you didn't have much time to work on the game but I still wanted to give constructed criticism.

Tonystar73

Rookie
Did a Nuzlocke, lost to the first gym.
My final team consisted of Combusken (Teriyaki), Rookiedee (Chessbird), Venipede (Venus II), Zubat (Acrobat), Votlorb (Borltov), and an Egg I never hatched.
Boxed: Wurple (Adrian)
Dead: Makuhita (Wheat) and the Pokemon in the final team.
The game is kinda boring. No trainers except for the Gym Trainers, the rivals showed up once and never appeared, the town the Professor was supposed to be in wasn't there, and homes and towns were empty. It looks like the only thing done was the beginning and the ending with some filler routes.
The starting town had 0 way to heal so I had dangerously low HP Pokemon going into Route 1 (I almost lost my starter to a Rattata). The cave and routes had 0 trainers making it a little annoying to get EXP. The map designs were pretty plain but at least they weren't too open or too cramped. Also Pinsir shouldn't be is a place where Pokemon are in the mid 10s.

I understand you didn't have much time to work on the game but I still wanted to give constructed criticism.
I appreciate the criticism. It's my first time making a game, so I felt I've learnt a lot. And I can only hope my next game I make will be far more superior and more enjoyable.

Also sorry you couldn't nuzlocke the game.

If it's of any interest, I'm currently working on the game so I can flesh it out better. So, if you ever felt interested to possibly try again later on in the year when I upload an update, I'll be interested to see how you fair then. But of course, I won't blame you if your just hear for a one and done thing.

That region map came out really nice! You seem to have a great handle on the region map style, I've always found that tricky myself!

I think you made great use of the default tiles, especially in the first town - little things like the fences and backyards and the couches added some nice details to make it feel more like a place people live in.

I loved all the hidden berries and the stones on the beach - I feel like hidden items are often skipped over in fan games, and keeping the trend of hiding stuff in rocks or having that little shadow of a berry is a great way to give the player clues without making the item obvious!
The title screen is really generic - the background is just a solid color, the sprites are just the default trainer and starter Pokemon, and they're all arranged in a straight line. It doesn't really say much about the game, other than "You can play as Red and get these Pokemon as starters", which is pretty common in fangames. I think that, even if you're just using default graphics, you can still toy with them a bit to show what's unique with your game. You could make the background one of your maps, for example, or put Blue and Green in as well, since all three are characters in the story.

Beech's intro speech is basically the same as in default Essentials, apart from giving his name and remarking that "I'm sure they'll be simple."

I get the goal of having an opportunity to name the rivals, but it feels awkward that the player's mom is involved enough in their life to talk about how their friend is also getting their starter, but forgets her name. Since all three characters are planning on getting their starters at the same time, maybe you could just have a scene where the player signs them all up to get Pokemon, and enters all their names at once?

Every NPC in the first town gives directions to Wandering Forest. It feels a little excessive, especially considering the player literally can't go anywhere else.

I love a good character theme, but Blue's theme was only played for two lines before the map's theme returned, which felt awkward.

Even though they're all canon Pokemon, it still felt odd to not display them when the player looks at the Poke Balls for their starter.

"I'll take this one" is really generic dialogue, and it's basically just repeated by Blue and Green - I feel like there could have been a little more of their personality added, even when it's just grabbing the leftover Pokemon.

I feel like Green's catching tutorial was a little too vague. She says that the Poke Ball should work "if you do everything correctly", but that's not really true, there's an element of chance to it. (Honestly, given how most people playing this are going to be familiar with Pokemon games already, I don't think you even need to bother keeping it in)

It felt strange that the player's mom just said "I look forward to hearing about your adventure later" when you're right there and able to talk with her.

For that matter, what the adventure is isn't really clear - I don't think any NPCs even tell you to take on the gyms. It feels like a lot of the progression just comes from knowledge of standard Pokemon games and just going to the next available map.

The gym guy mentions the type of the gym, but doesn't even mention the type's weaknesses.

The theme of "Maybe life isn't really that simple" is a great idea, but it feels shoehorned into the last scene. Apart from one line in Beech's intro, the idea that life could be simple or complex doesn't really come up at all in the game.

I know a lot of these issues come from time management issues, though, and I think that's ultimately a good sign - if I'm understanding right, it's the maps that you were able to put the most effort into, and those all came out very well. Of course, I can't say for sure that you'd do just as well on the other aspects of the game, they are different skills, but it seems to me like you'd be perfectly capable of putting just as much work in on other areas with less time constraints.
The Essentials wiki link is still in the game's folder.

Can't interact with the PC in the player's room.

You can look at Blue's mailbox before naming him, which will make it say it's 0s house.

The Egg is listed as being received from "Best Friend" rather than the name you give the rival.

Battles in the cave display the indoor battlebacks, and battles in the forest display the indoor background with grassy battlebases.
1661136340970.png

You can just go straight into Hollow Forest without beating the gym.

The signs in the overworld don't say anything.
Pokémon is written as "pokemon" everywhere in the game

• Title screen says "Aplha" instead of "Alpha"
  • Good morning \PN - Good morning, \PN
  • Ah yes - Ah, yes
  • Hey \PN! - Hey, \PN!
  • your frist pokemon today? - your first Pokémon today?
  • Ah come on - Ah, come on
  • I know you want to really -I know you really want to
  • You Honestly can't - You honestly can't
  • Hey friend, I hear your getting your first pokemon - Hey, friend, I hear you're
  • I bet your pretty excited about that huh? - I bet you're pretty excited about that, huh?
  • Okay then. You best hurry along then. - Okay, then. You best hurry along, then.
  • Town shouldn't be capitalized in the man's dialogue at the edge of town
  • Ah \PN, glad you could - Ah, \PN, glad
  • a friend of yours or something right? - or something, right?
  • Ah of course - Ah, oh course
  • What up losers! - What up, losers!
  • Ah excellent, now - Ah, excellent, no
  • I would like to go last if that's okay? - last, if that's okay?
  • Where you going? - This one's technically not a typo because it would be correct in some forms of English, but since Beech just talks in standard English, I figure you mean "Where are you going?"
  • take this one then - this one, then
  • as your such a great - as you're such a great
  • there is actually some pretty amazing Pokemon - there are actually some
  • I'll leave you to it then - to it, then
  • Ah okay - Ah, okay
  • Well its really quite simple actually - Well, it's really quite simple, actually
  • pokeballs - Poké Ball
  • Then if you done everyone up to that poiint correctly, It should be as simple as 1, 2, 3. - Then, if you've done everything up to that point correctly, it should be
  • I sure you'll get - I'm sure
  • Here you go then - Here you go, then
  • Ah thats a shame - Ah, that's a shame
  • Hey \PN, hows your adventure going? - Hey, \PN, how's
  • Oh I'm sorry to hear - Oh, I'm
  • I hope your happy - you're happy
  • on your adventure as far... - so far
  • as simple as its made out to be - it's

Tonystar73

Rookie
That region map came out really nice! You seem to have a great handle on the region map style, I've always found that tricky myself!

I think you made great use of the default tiles, especially in the first town - little things like the fences and backyards and the couches added some nice details to make it feel more like a place people live in.

I loved all the hidden berries and the stones on the beach - I feel like hidden items are often skipped over in fan games, and keeping the trend of hiding stuff in rocks or having that little shadow of a berry is a great way to give the player clues without making the item obvious!
The title screen is really generic - the background is just a solid color, the sprites are just the default trainer and starter Pokemon, and they're all arranged in a straight line. It doesn't really say much about the game, other than "You can play as Red and get these Pokemon as starters", which is pretty common in fangames. I think that, even if you're just using default graphics, you can still toy with them a bit to show what's unique with your game. You could make the background one of your maps, for example, or put Blue and Green in as well, since all three are characters in the story.

Beech's intro speech is basically the same as in default Essentials, apart from giving his name and remarking that "I'm sure they'll be simple."

I get the goal of having an opportunity to name the rivals, but it feels awkward that the player's mom is involved enough in their life to talk about how their friend is also getting their starter, but forgets her name. Since all three characters are planning on getting their starters at the same time, maybe you could just have a scene where the player signs them all up to get Pokemon, and enters all their names at once?

Every NPC in the first town gives directions to Wandering Forest. It feels a little excessive, especially considering the player literally can't go anywhere else.

I love a good character theme, but Blue's theme was only played for two lines before the map's theme returned, which felt awkward.

Even though they're all canon Pokemon, it still felt odd to not display them when the player looks at the Poke Balls for their starter.

"I'll take this one" is really generic dialogue, and it's basically just repeated by Blue and Green - I feel like there could have been a little more of their personality added, even when it's just grabbing the leftover Pokemon.

I feel like Green's catching tutorial was a little too vague. She says that the Poke Ball should work "if you do everything correctly", but that's not really true, there's an element of chance to it. (Honestly, given how most people playing this are going to be familiar with Pokemon games already, I don't think you even need to bother keeping it in)

It felt strange that the player's mom just said "I look forward to hearing about your adventure later" when you're right there and able to talk with her.

For that matter, what the adventure is isn't really clear - I don't think any NPCs even tell you to take on the gyms. It feels like a lot of the progression just comes from knowledge of standard Pokemon games and just going to the next available map.

The gym guy mentions the type of the gym, but doesn't even mention the type's weaknesses.

The theme of "Maybe life isn't really that simple" is a great idea, but it feels shoehorned into the last scene. Apart from one line in Beech's intro, the idea that life could be simple or complex doesn't really come up at all in the game.

I know a lot of these issues come from time management issues, though, and I think that's ultimately a good sign - if I'm understanding right, it's the maps that you were able to put the most effort into, and those all came out very well. Of course, I can't say for sure that you'd do just as well on the other aspects of the game, they are different skills, but it seems to me like you'd be perfectly capable of putting just as much work in on other areas with less time constraints.
The Essentials wiki link is still in the game's folder.

Can't interact with the PC in the player's room.

You can look at Blue's mailbox before naming him, which will make it say it's 0s house.

The Egg is listed as being received from "Best Friend" rather than the name you give the rival.

Battles in the cave display the indoor battlebacks, and battles in the forest display the indoor background with grassy battlebases.
View attachment 12020

You can just go straight into Hollow Forest without beating the gym.

The signs in the overworld don't say anything.
Pokémon is written as "pokemon" everywhere in the game

• Title screen says "Aplha" instead of "Alpha"
  • Good morning \PN - Good morning, \PN
  • Ah yes - Ah, yes
  • Hey \PN! - Hey, \PN!
  • your frist pokemon today? - your first Pokémon today?
  • Ah come on - Ah, come on
  • I know you want to really -I know you really want to
  • You Honestly can't - You honestly can't
  • Hey friend, I hear your getting your first pokemon - Hey, friend, I hear you're
  • I bet your pretty excited about that huh? - I bet you're pretty excited about that, huh?
  • Okay then. You best hurry along then. - Okay, then. You best hurry along, then.
  • Town shouldn't be capitalized in the man's dialogue at the edge of town
  • Ah \PN, glad you could - Ah, \PN, glad
  • a friend of yours or something right? - or something, right?
  • Ah of course - Ah, oh course
  • What up losers! - What up, losers!
  • Ah excellent, now - Ah, excellent, no
  • I would like to go last if that's okay? - last, if that's okay?
  • Where you going? - This one's technically not a typo because it would be correct in some forms of English, but since Beech just talks in standard English, I figure you mean "Where are you going?"
  • take this one then - this one, then
  • as your such a great - as you're such a great
  • there is actually some pretty amazing Pokemon - there are actually some
  • I'll leave you to it then - to it, then
  • Ah okay - Ah, okay
  • Well its really quite simple actually - Well, it's really quite simple, actually
  • pokeballs - Poké Ball
  • Then if you done everyone up to that poiint correctly, It should be as simple as 1, 2, 3. - Then, if you've done everything up to that point correctly, it should be
  • I sure you'll get - I'm sure
  • Here you go then - Here you go, then
  • Ah thats a shame - Ah, that's a shame
  • Hey \PN, hows your adventure going? - Hey, \PN, how's
  • Oh I'm sorry to hear - Oh, I'm
  • I hope your happy - you're happy
  • on your adventure as far... - so far
  • as simple as its made out to be - it's
Thank you so much for your comment. I can tell you took the time to really critique every aspect of the game, which I greatly appreciate.

You left me with a lot to think about... And I can only hope that, the next Game Jam I take part in, I'll do a much better job in the various areas that you spoke about needing improvement.

Back