• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

What should I do with the narrative of my game?

Little Corporal

Novice
I am working on a game and I am pretty early on in developing the game, and I have just gotten this idea to have the player die and have you play as the sister. To add some context, I was making a cutscene where the player would be mugged by some sort of mafia but would end up getting beaten up. (Or maybe die.) If this were to happen then I would be drastically changing the motive of the player, changing it from a normal Pokemon game story where you're the good guy, to one where you are just looking for revenge. However, I am not sure if I should do it, it wouldn't take a lot of work to change the story or anything since it is so early into development and I am mostly thinking out the story as I go, except for maybe one plotline, but would it be too violent or edgy? I also don't know how to approach a story where the original character has died, such as having everyone you meet be remorseful towards you or have everything go on as normal. This is also the first game I have ever made and the first one I am going to release, so I want to try and make a good impression, but I don't want to go to big, should I or shouldn't I change the direction of my game?

Upvote 0

StarWolff

Cooltrainer
The revenge path is a really interessing idea, morally and plot wise.
Just a sugestion, if you want the game to follow thw 8 gyms path, why not make each one be a villain, like mafia grunts of various ranks instead of gym leaders

Little Corporal

Novice
I might try that, but I also want to know if it is realistic for me to do something like this for my first game.

StarWolff

Cooltrainer
I might try that, but I also want to know if it is realistic for me to do something like this for my first game.
my first game is a open world with time travel lol
you can do anything with creativity, time and much much help (don't be afraid to ask for outside help if you are having any difficulty!)

Yin

Queen of out-dated memes
This game idea is unique in my eyes, especially if you do it out of nowhere. Suprise the gamer and give an amazing plot twist. I think you should go for it! Hell, if you can, you should make the sister doubt herself in the path again and again throughout the story and at the end, you realize you are actually the bad guy because you get more and more ruthless as you progress and maybe she gets ruder and ruder to random people and even cruel to the point you don't save someone so you can go beat up someone in the ranks? Could be an interesting corruption arc!

Back