• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
XVLauncher - Setup Guide and Customization

Tutorial XVLauncher - Setup Guide and Customization 1.0.0

xZekro51

Rookie
xZekro51 submitted a new resource:

XVLauncher - Setup Guide and Customization - Setup guide for XVLauncher, with more accurate explainations.

Hello!

As one of the developers of XVLauncher, I’m really sorry it took all this time to get a tutorial for its use down for the community. Following you will find all the info you might need to get your project up and ready for XVLauncher.

But first, what’s XVLauncher?
XVLauncher is an open source launcher that handles the download, installation and update process of Windows apps in a way as user-friendly as possible. It being designed to work with RPG Maker games, it works great...

Read more about this resource...

xZekro51

Rookie
So, if it's designed to work with RMXP , we'll not have the laggy issues with W10 anymore?
What kind of lag issues did you have with the launcher? Know that this is just a utility made to create a launcher/downloader/updater for your own application, but it won't affect its performance in any way :)

phantombass

Cooltrainer
Thanks so much for this tutorial! I have one question because I keep getting stuck. When you choose git to have as the one that updates the launcher, is it the one we make here or is it a separate one that has only vanilla Essentials? And if it is the one we make here, where do we put the files from essentials to have it update properly?

xZekro51

Rookie
Thanks so much for this tutorial! I have one question because I keep getting stuck. When you choose git to have as the one that updates the launcher, is it the one we make here or is it a separate one that has only vanilla Essentials? And if it is the one we make here, where do we put the files from essentials to have it update properly?
Hey, sorry for the late response! I didn't really understand what you meant by "where do we put the files from essentials", as those files should've already been placed inside the Github Repository created in the tutorial.

SenseiBambi

Rookie
How would I set it up so I can update the background images on the fly without having to push an update for the whole launcher?

Ikaro5

Entirely Average
For us, it just returns a 404 error every time we try to download the game files. This link (https://gitlab.com/username/reponame/-/raw/{0}/) seems to be the issue, as it leads nowhere. It could be on my end, I don't know how to use Gitlab or Github, and I've had someone else set that up. Any pointers?

5pr173

Rookie
For us, it just returns a 404 error every time we try to download the game files. This link (https://gitlab.com/username/reponame/-/raw/{0}/) seems to be the issue, as it leads nowhere. It could be on my end, I don't know how to use Gitlab or Github, and I've had someone else set that up. Any pointers?
Replace the username and repo name in the link with the username of the gitlab account and the repo name.

Ikaro5

Entirely Average
Replace the username and repo name in the link with the username of the gitlab account and the repo name.
We did that. The repo is public and everything, I'm not sure what's going wrong here. There are files in the repo to download, and we've checked and double checked that we followed the tutorial exactly.

xZekro51

Rookie
How would I set it up so I can update the background images on the fly without having to push an update for the whole launcher?
It currently doesn't support that, but we're planning to add that feature in the near future!

We did that. The repo is public and everything, I'm not sure what's going wrong here. There are files in the repo to download, and we've checked and double checked that we followed the tutorial exactly.
This is very strange. As that link is needed for the API request, you should check that on your public repository you actually have made a release for the launcher to download. As it's based off releases and not on the repo files, that might be the issue.

Bendix988

Novice
Sorry, I don't understand where the folder containing the game should be put, I just place the entire pokemon essentials folder inside the launcher folder? To then upload everything to gitlab via desktop github?

Rua

Pokémon Dark Dev
Sorry, I don't understand where the folder containing the game should be put, I just place the entire pokemon essentials folder inside the launcher folder? To then upload everything to gitlab via desktop github?

You upload the Game Folder to Github and Import that into Gitlab

I was wondering @xZekro51, how to use the Multiple Save File feature? v19 changed the save file location to AppData/Roaming which I changed in the scripts. But selecting a different save crashes the game on load, do I need to add some save loading logic to the Game itself?

Bendix988

Novice

I was wondering @xZekro51, how to use the Multiple Save File feature? v19 changed the save file location to AppData/Roaming which I changed in the scripts. But selecting a different save crashes the game on load, do I need to add some save loading logic to the Game itself?
I inserted the game folder, changed the entries in the settings with visual studio, I go to github desktop and I push, but on gitlab the changes made do not appear

xZekro51

Rookie

You should try a game recovery, as it has most likely something to do with essentials and not with XVLauncher.

Rua

Pokémon Dark Dev
You should try a game recovery, as it has most likely something to do with essentials and not with XVLauncher.
Ok yeah that has it working.

Last edited:

MakerBlack

Trainer
Does it download the necessary drivers? There are a lot of people who have problems with the game running due to lack of game drivers.

I'm looking forward to more tutorials on how to customize it, it helped my project a lot!

Zenos

Novice
Hey, I'm using PSDK and when I click on "Play" with the launcher, nothing happen. The launcher detect the game.exe because if I change it, it said that Game.exe can't be found.
So does any of you have a solution ?

Back