• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Map Zoom

Resource Map Zoom 2022-05-19

TechSkylander1518 submitted a new resource:

Map Zoom - Zoom in on the map, with events still moving around!

View attachment 6692View attachment 6693

Simple script to get a little fancy with the camera!

Code
Paste in a new script section above Main!
Ruby:
 class Sprite
  # Centers the sprite by setting the origin points to half the width and height
  #Utility from Marin
  def center_origins
    return if !self.bitmap
    self.ox = self.bitmap.width / 2
    self.oy = self.bitmap.height / 2
  end

#Utility from...

Read more about this resource...

LackDeJurane

Novice
I was just looking for something like this to make overworld effects like in gen 5!

TechSkylander1518 updated Map Zoom with a new update entry:

Windows fixed!

View attachment 6696
Thanks to some help from Golisopod User, the windows have been fixed! Show text, show command, and even the default pause menu will now work just fine! You could play a whole game with the map zoomed in, if I'm not mistaken!

Please note that these fixes just work with the default text windows- if you've made any changes like a speech bubble script or changing how your show choices command works, you'll likely have to do a bit of tinkering to get...​

Read the rest of this update entry...

Matt Escaflowne

Rookie
Hi! I loved the script, the zoom "in" works fine for me but when using zoom "out" the following happens:
I am doing something wrong?

Example: pbZoomMap (0.50,6, zoom ="out")
(I am using Pokémon essentials v 16.2)

Attachments

• 6y56yu56y.png
    6y56yu56y.png
    96 KB · Views: 211
  • 345345.png
    345345.png
    85.9 KB · Views: 217
Hi! I loved the script, the zoom "in" works fine for me but when using zoom "out" the following happens:
I am doing something wrong?

Example: pbZoomMap (0.50,6, zoom ="out")
(I am using Pokémon essentials v 16.2)
Afraid zooming out only works for going back to regular size at the moment! It's because I'm using a little trick- it's not actually changing how the map itself is displayed, it's taking a screencap and zooming in on that picture, and updating it so it looks like it's just the map. To get it to zoom out, I'd have to get multiple screencaps of the game at different points on the map, and then combine them all into one image to shrink. (Or possibly just one viewport? Might make things easier on me) It might be possible, but it's unfortunately a bit above my skill level at the moment- I'll definitely be looking into it, though!

Depending on how big your game is, one alternative you could try would be to have the rest of your game slightly zoomed in, and then have the maps you want zoomed out at 1? I'd really only recommend that for Game Jam-sized games, though, and I imagine yours is probably considerably bigger if you've been working on it since v16, haha.

(Thanks for testing it on v16, though, I'm glad to know it's compatible so far back! I love your game's aesthetic, too, those tiles and color scheme are really cool!)

Matt Escaflowne

Rookie
Afraid zooming out only works for going back to regular size at the moment! It's because I'm using a little trick- it's not actually changing how the map itself is displayed, it's taking a screencap and zooming in on that picture, and updating it so it looks like it's just the map. To get it to zoom out, I'd have to get multiple screencaps of the game at different points on the map, and then combine them all into one image to shrink. (Or possibly just one viewport? Might make things easier on me) It might be possible, but it's unfortunately a bit above my skill level at the moment- I'll definitely be looking into it, though!

Depending on how big your game is, one alternative you could try would be to have the rest of your game slightly zoomed in, and then have the maps you want zoomed out at 1? I'd really only recommend that for Game Jam-sized games, though, and I imagine yours is probably considerably bigger if you've been working on it since v16, haha.

(Thanks for testing it on v16, though, I'm glad to know it's compatible so far back! I love your game's aesthetic, too, those tiles and color scheme are really cool!)
Thanks for answering my question :D.
It works for what I need in certain events. I don't understand much about scripts but I know it must take time.
I hope you keep improving, your script It's still great!
Yes, my project and the essentials I use is old hahah. Thanks for the good words bro, I appreciate it. Good script!

REALMUGEN

Trainer
Nice script... Thanks for share...

A question...

I am using for example this configuration
Ruby:
pbZoomMap(1.5,0.2,zoom="in")

But the Zoom is too fast, not like the screenshots you shared.

What could it be?

Thanks again!

King_Waluigi

The King of Waaahh!

A question...

Ruby:

What could it be?

Thanks again!
0.2 is per frame, to make it slower, you'll need to increase that number

A question...

Ruby:

What could it be?

Thanks again!
Ah, I should have given some better examples on the speed - 0.2 is actually pretty fast, it'll zoom in to your goal in three frames. (And a frame is 1/60th of a second, I believe, so that's super quick) Try doing 0.02 as your speed instead!
Actually, it'd be decreased, so there's a smaller increase per frame lol, but you've got the right idea!

King_Waluigi

The King of Waaahh!
Ah, I should have given some better examples on the speed - 0.2 is actually pretty fast, it'll zoom in to your goal in three frames. (And a frame is 1/60th of a second, I believe, so that's super quick) Try doing 0.02 as your speed instead!

Actually, it'd be decreased, so there's a smaller increase per frame lol, but you've got the right idea!
Yeah, I meant that, lol didn't explain properly

REALMUGEN

Trainer

Thanks for the info guys...

In fact, start to do a nice slow zoom with
Ruby:
pbZoomMap(1.5,0.002,zoom="in")

Thanks again!

TechSkylander1518 updated Map Zoom with a new update entry:

v20 Update

Quick update for v20! Luckily, most of this was still compatible, so there were very few changes.

I finally got with the times and made this a plugin, too, you can download from the link up top! No more copy+pasting! (The raw script is still included for posterity/to make it easier to check for compatibility with pause menu scripts)

Read the rest of this update entry...

hostman

Trainer
I use Voltseon_s Pause Menu, but in your script I can't find anything about "Pause Menu Rewriting", how can I fix it?

LaMule

Rookie
Hello, I'm using Essential version 18.1, and the script you provided for version 19 seems almost compatible. However, the zoom keeps going indefinitely, regardless of the "goal," until the pixel in the center of the image covers the entire screen. What modifications do you think I should make to get it to work?
Thank you!

nomists

Novice
I installed this plugin a month or two ago. And let me say- I both love and hate it: I love it because it looks fantastic and has really been defining for many of my events. I've also found you can use parallel processes with slight zoom ins and outs to make a heartbeat-like effect, that's nice in horror scenes. But at the same time, I hate it because it's so good that I've been forced to go back and rework a ton of stuff to implement it and you've added at least a month to my release date, haha. This plugin has just really kicked my game up a notch and I cannot express my thankfulness for it. Great work!

Back