• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Routes

Jayrodd

Professional Hot Pepper
It's not about the destination, it's about the journey. What connects you from your goals better than the very route you take? Home to new pokemon and various scenes memorable to your adventure, routes play a huge part in the pokemon world.

• Discuss what can make a route design unique and successful in the pokemon world
  • Provide tricks to making one of these areas feel more organic for your own games
  • Share your favorite route and what you enjoy about it

Mak

Edge Lord
Ahhh, routes. gotta love them. They're definitely among the most important parts of a Pokémon game, not only linking towns and cities together but being some of the only places where you can capture Pokémon.

The thing that usually makes a route unique for me is if it, well, has a distinguishing feature to it. Obviously you want it to blend into the environment around you, but you don't want it to blend so well that locations are practically indistinguishable.
Variety helps a ton, and for that reason I think Hoenn and had the most memorable routes.
Hoenn had a very wide variety of biomes which were covered by it's routes. Just to name a few examples...
Route 119 was in the middle of an eternally rainy jungle, with Pokemon like Tropius roaming in the unusually tall grass.
Route 110 has the cycling road looping through it.
Route 112 is overlooked by both a large volcano, which you have to ride cable cars to get to.
Route 122 has a giant graveyard mountain in the middle of it.
Routes 132-134 were filled with water currents that could drag you all the way to Slateport. But, there's a few items and secrets hidden if you take the right path.

Route 134 brings me to another point of route design. You want to design it with gameplay in mind just as much as geography. You can make a route all fancy, but how do you traverse through it? Is it a straight line like X and Y's Route 1? Is it nothing but 90 degree angles like Kanto liked to do?
Another great thing Hoenn did with it's routes was encourage backtracking to discover secrets. The bikes especially were a great demonstration of this, with both slopes and ramps only accessible to one bike at a time. You would look at this impassible slope and think "I wonder if this other bike can get up it" so you'd keep that spot in mind when you get the Mach Bike, for the purpose of discovering what secrets are above it.

Honorable mention to Black and White's Route 10 for being very memorable in both tone and soundtrack. As this one proves, you don't always have to have a flashy new environment to be memorable.

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet?
I tend to like routes that give you different options on how to get through them, whether that take the form of a split path like Johto Route 45 or the scaffolding like Sinnoh Route 212*.

Also nice music is pretty awesome, which may or may not also factor into my liking both of those two routes.

There's probably more that make me likes routes but I've been game jamming for two weeks and hate everything Pokémon now and my brain is toast tonight so we'll leave it there.

* Yes I know the muddy water made that one molasses to get through, but once you get over that unfortunate bit Route 212 is fairly fun to explore.

aiyinsi

A wild Minun appeared!
The pokemon jurney consists of cities and routes.

Cities are the safespot but have the tough trainers(rival, gym). Also in cities you want to fight the opponents. They are either important from the story or optional. And you can always run to the next heal spot and then take on the next enemy(like after beating the trainers before the gym leader). So your goal is to win the fight ... you can always go to the pokecenter

On routes you are trying to maintain the good condition of you pokemon. You don't know how long the route will be, how many trainers are yet to come or when the next wild pokemon will attack you (assuming your pokemon are not overleveled). You often have to risk more encounters to get an item of which you don't even know whether it is useful to you or not.

Also Makattacks point of routes having spots that you cannot reach yet. It's often done with HMs. Like you cannot get this item without cut, rocksmash, surf or dive and so on. The trick is to let the player see that there is something they cannot reach. So once you have overleveled pokemon the route has a puzzle for you to solve. And if it's just to get up that ramp with a match bike.

Also things you have to search for are often good. Like secret bases or the Regis in Hoenn.
In Sun/Moon they did it the wrong way and made searching for Zygarde cores more of a pain that it was worth having a 100% zygarde imo(even with looking up the locations).

The difference in the two cases is that Sun/Moon clearly states that you still miss a certain amount of cores and it was like searching all alola without a clue. Like they started of good with encouraging the player with the 10% zygarde and and all the npcs that encourage the player to find all the cores. And I guess it would have been ok like this if some of the cores weren't only to be found at day/night. Plus they are always telling you what your missing. So you'd go into the world searching for cores that you don't even care for ... you just want to complete zygarde(and then probably not even use it that much afterwards).

In Hoenn they didn't tell you whether you had all of the locations spotted ... they just placed the secret bases/regis/items at locations where you suspected to be something. So it didn't matter if you didn't see a secret path. Whenever there was an unnecessairy surf route you would get a good item. If you get to the last room of meteor falls you get dragon claw and the chance to catch a bagon. The puzzles are smaller and you always get rewarded instantaneous. It's encouraging to go and explore.

Taq

Sandwich Master
Ah routes! The land of unknown torture and pain, they are a pleasure to see.
Anyway let me begin:
What can make a route look unique is maybe when they are branched out or is heavily varied in locations (examples include many BW2 routes or route 3 on Melemele island even if you have to go through tutorial heck). Another way that makes them unique is to make them varied and behave differently from the rest of the game by having a different type of evironment (like both victory roads from BW1 and 2).

Some tricks to make a route unique would be to make it follow a shape or have a large connection to the other routes (like maybe there is a path that allows you to skip the next route but only with a HM). Another way is maybe have it connected to history and lore (like maybe the whole route is an eroded statue or an ancient Villiage). But for being technically unique I think maybe make it Branch out with multiple paths which continue to the next route in order to make it more of an adventure then just a straight line.

For my favorite route I am unsure tbh but I kinda liked
Route 20 from BW2, it just felt Interesting and varied from most routes and is more interesting that it's near the beginning which makes you feel more motivated to see more.

And that's all.

Hematite

Trainer
I would like to open this post by sincerely apologizing for what a disorganized ramble all of this is.

I love Routes!! They're definitely my favorite places to map - a Pokémon game without well-designed Routes is a tragedy.

Usually, when I make a Route, I always start by making a simple path to the next area (not a straight path, mind you, but a linear one - one that doesn't fork or split or anything); on the contrary, I would never advise to make this path a straight line or just one right angle. At the very least, you should put obstacles arranged so the player has to do a little bit of movement to the left and right or up and down to cross your Route. A good example of this is one Route that I simply adore, Hoenn Route 113 - even though the exits to Fallarbor Town and Route 112 are nearly perfectly horizontally aligned, the actual route uses small cliffs and ledges keep the player from walking in a straight line all that way, instead forcing a short detour up before going west again and then back down.

Anyway, this simple path is basically the defining part of your route; the entire rest of your route, detours included, will be made or broken by what basic path the player has to take. With that in mind, it's best to wind about a bit and pretty much always to make use of elevation - the reason I always isolate this and start with it by itself is because you can't depend on every player exploring detours, so you need to make the Route as interesting as possible without them.

To put it another way, if the player totally ignores everything optional in your route and takes the shortest, simplest road through it, is it still interesting? If not, your Route will suffer - no matter how much optional content you cram in, if the player ignores it all and your Route is boiled down to the bare minimum, that bare minimum is what will leave an impression on that player, so it has to be a good impression in itself. A good example of this is Sinnoh Route 212 (especially the lower east-to-west half rather than the higher south-to-north half, but even that is decent about it, to give an idea of how easy it is to pull off!); a bad example of this is Kalos Route 21. Heck, I didn't even notice the southern detour myself until I looked up the Route just now, let alone actually explore it, so its bare-bones main path really stuck out like a sore thumb!

Incidentally, a VERY IMPORTANT tip: always, always, always avoid making your whole Route a wide-open rectangle or square! From the perspective of gameplay, this makes the Route overwhelming and uninteresting at the same time; this combination is the worst of all possible worlds, because it's only going to lead the average player to skip as much of the Route as possible, or even to make players who want to go for 100% completion struggle with doing so and feel frustrated and bored. It also keeps players from feeling the thrill of exploring - while most Routes carry a sense of discovery and excitement, a wide-open space isn't going to feel like you're discovering anything, because… well, you can see all of it. The Routes that stand out like this off the top of my head are Sinnoh's Route 217 (216 is a very similar Route that was done far better, for comparison) and Unova's Route 12 and Desert Resort although, speaking of the Desert Resort, the Relic Castle is an awesome place - you should avoid mapping any places like this. A simple red flag is the screen size: if your path is going north to south, but you also can't fit the whole thing east-to-west on your screen (or vice versa), you should narrow it down so the player has some sense of direction. If you want a Route to feel expansive, it's usually a better idea to add a lot of detours or make the path wind about than to make it big but empty. As a player, the satisfaction of exploring a massive Route comes from doing a lot, not just covering a large surface area!

To elaborate a bit more on the basic path, this is usually where you'll want to put any roads (whether paved like Alola Route 8 or a simple dirt path like Unova Route 6); there are no roads in optional detours, so this is how you can keep players from getting hopelessly lost (unless you want them to, but that's more a dungeon thing, not a Route thing, right?). Another thing to note about the basic path is grass placement: pretty often, early Routes have a fair amount of mandatory grass, middle Routes have the most grass, and lategame Routes have the least grass, instead tucking most of it away into optional detours.

---

Anyway! With that all in mind, you should have your basic path laid out, right? holy fudge I've written all of that on the first concept of my post Now, we get to the part of Route design that makes the most expansive Routes interesting: detours. There are a few notable types of detours.

First, we have ledges and shortcuts! Usually, these work best in winding Routes, especially early in the game, where you want to have a convenient way to go back one way. In these cases, you should use ledges to make a completely grass-free, Trainer-free path that only goes one way (obviously the way opposite wherever the player is going, so it's used for backtracking, not forward progress!). However, there are also other ways to use ledges: if you have an item tucked away off to the side, you can block one side off with a ledge, then block the other side with grass, so the player has to go through the grass to reach the item but not again after they've gotten it, or vice versa (make sure the player can see the grass before they corner themselves into it with the ledge, though). A good example of this is right at the beginning of Kalos Route 18, with what I think was a Hyper Potion according to Bulbapedia!

Next are alternate paths! It's not a good idea to make an entire Route take two separate paths (I didn't like how Kalos Route 6 did that, for example), but supposing you have a cluster of trees in the middle of the road, one side can lead to a Trainer and another can lead to grass, or one side can have a Trainer or grass while the other is blocked off by an HM or something (see the top of Unova Route 13) so that you can take a shortcut if you want. Actually, speaking of Unova Route 13, I like that there were some items on the harder path (with grass and a Trainer) in B2W2 so both paths had benefits, but doing what BW did and putting an item on the HM-blocked path rather than the standard one is fine too since it's harder to reach. Unfortunately, I couldn't seem to find a legible map of the BW version to show this; sorry!!

Lastly, offshoots in general are always nice! There are two ways of doing these: long offshoots, with both several Trainers (often optional) and more than one item (or just really notable items/TMs), and small offshoots, with shorter paths and probably only one Trainer and/or one patch of grass, but also a smaller reward (only one item, of course). You should probably have a lot more of the latter, because they're easier to fit in and players are more likely to take them than to take long offshoots, but always have a combination!

Kalos Route 19 is a Route I absolutely love for how it handled these. First, it has one small shortcut made of stepping stones, which contains an item but also risks encountering two moving Trainers; the main path has only one small patch of flowers and no mandatory Trainers at all (even if you manage to accidentally trigger the Sky Battle, you can say no to her), but it also has no items so the stepping stones have a reward. Then, it has another small offshoot further south with a large patch of flowers and one item. Most interesting, though: right at the beginning of the Route, you can go off the main path for a big offshoot encompassing the better part of the map in all directions (even going underneath a bridge - nice elevation use!!), which contains a total of four items (including one TM!), quite a few Trainers (Bulbapedia's map is really small and low-quality, but I count six), and has offshoots of its own that separately entail grass, Strength and Trainers with various items as rewards. Once you complete this biggest offshoot (right when you reach the TM, the main reward for it), there's even a ledge going back to the main path… and the best part? You can see this TM from the main road when you enter the Route, so you know this is an offshoot that's worth exploring! Plenty of other huge detours like this are just ignored (especially in Kalos, actually - consider, again, Kalos Route 21, where I not only lacked the motivation to explore a major detour but literally didn't notice it as I was playing), so that Kalos Route 19 managed to entice you, bait you, dare you to go exploring for that TM literally as soon as you enter the Route was masterful and made it one of my favorite Routes in the entire series. You need to do more than have detours - you have to make players notice them!

---

OKAY, NOW THAT THAT'S DONE!! Some quick notes about Trainers and items:

Players of the canon games know to check gaps in tall grass (in Routes), lone rocks (in caves) and any dead ends that seem pointless for hidden items. If you're placing hidden items, these are really good spots for them! That said, you can obviously have fake-outs, too - it's just as important to have gaps in tall grass, lone rocks or dead ends that don't have hidden items, so it's somewhat of a gamble to pursue them! Also, it's common that beaches/deserts (sand tiles in general) and forests have a lot of unmarked/unnoticeable hidden items, especially Stardust and Tiny Mushrooms (among other valuable/sell-only items); people usually use the Itemfinder/Dowsing Machine/Stoutland Search in these areas (if you have such an option in your game), or just press A a lot. These are the best places to put unmarked hidden items, because players will actually know to look for them! I honestly believe that it's very important to follow canon precedent for hidden items, a lot more so than for any other items/Trainers/grass/"rules" in general, because if you get too creative with them, people will miss them altogether and any innovation you make in the field just goes unnoticed.

Usually, the main path has very few mandatory Trainers (one or two, maybe) and the majority of Trainers are either optional (moving or turning) or placed in the offshoots or alternate paths so that you can skip them if you want, so your exploring isn't bogged down by battle after battle - that's "fake difficulty," basically. Also, Game Freak generally doesn't put any Trainers on Route 1, though this is a fair rule to break!

---

OKAY, LAST SECTION! I don't have TOO much more to say, but there is one last thing I want to go into: aesthetic. The thing that makes most Routes memorable is being distinct. You can have a game full of Routes that are completely perfect by every standard to which anyone holds them, but nobody will notice that if they all look the same. Hoenn has really well-designed Routes from a gameplay perspective, but with a few standout exceptions (Route 113, with its falling ash; Routes 119 and 120, with their jungle environment; Route 111, the only desert in the game), most of them looked pretty much the same as one another, which made ORAS a huge bundle of missed opportunities to fix that after the utterly beautiful region that was Kalos. You don't need totally different environments to be awesome (obviously not every region has room to have mountains, plains, forests, jungles, deserts, volcanoes, marshes, lakes and oceans all in one), but you can do small things, like using different paths and trees, various weather conditions and fogs, and even just subtly changing the color of the tiles (like making a drier Route yellower than a lush area even with the same exact graphics other than colors) to make all of your Routes stand out from one another. I really enjoyed what Platinum did with Sinnoh's Battle Zone, like Sinnoh Route 225, for how it did this - the tiles were all slightly different from mainland Sinnoh, with darker cliffs of volcanic rock, palm trees and generally a tropical feeling, while Diamond and Pearl had pretty much the same areas tile for tile but they looked a lot less distinct. Even if you're not using a totally different environment, there's always room to change up your aesthetic a little bit, and I strongly recommend messing around with your tiles' color palettes, switching up your trees once in a while and whatever else you want - it'll go a lot further than you'd think!

SORRY THIS WAS SUCH A TERRIBLY LONG RAMBLE

OKAY I'M DONE

Edit: Added links to maps of all of the specific Routes named!
Edit 2 about a century later: it looks like the horizontal rules were broken and causing most of the message to be straight-up missing, but thankfully it was all still present even though it wasn't visible as a reader, so I was able to add it back with minimal difficulty!

Last edited:

Taq

Sandwich Master
I would like to open this post by sincerely apologizing for what a disorganized ramble all of this is.

I love Routes!! They're definitely my favorite places to map - a Pokémon game without well-designed Routes is a tragedy.

Usually, when I make a Route, I always start by making a simple path to the next area (not a straight path, mind you, but a linear one - one that doesn't fork or split or anything); on the contrary, I would never advise to make this path a straight line or just one right angle. At the very least, you should put obstacles arranged so the player has to do a little bit of movement to the left and right or up and down to cross your Route. A good example of this is one Route that I simply adore, Hoenn Route 113 - even though the exits to Fallarbor Town and Route 112 are nearly perfectly horizontally aligned, the actual route uses small cliffs and ledges keep the player from walking in a straight line all that way, instead forcing a short detour up before going west again and then back down.

Anyway, this simple path is basically the defining part of your route; the entire rest of your route, detours included, will be made or broken by what basic path the player has to take. With that in mind, it's best to wind about a bit and pretty much always to make use of elevation - the reason I always isolate this and start with it by itself is because you can't depend on every player exploring detours, so you need to make the Route as interesting as possible without them.

To put it another way, if the player totally ignores everything optional in your route and takes the shortest, simplest road through it, is it still interesting? If not, your Route will suffer - no matter how much optional content you cram in, if the player ignores it all and your Route is boiled down to the bare minimum, that bare minimum is what will leave an impression on that player, so it has to be a good impression in itself. A good example of this is Sinnoh Route 212 (especially the lower east-to-west half rather than the higher south-to-north half, but even that is decent about it, to give an idea of how easy it is to pull off!); a bad example of this is Kalos Route 21. Heck, I didn't even notice the southern detour myself until I looked up the Route just now, let alone actually explore it, so its bare-bones main path really stuck out like a sore thumb!

Incidentally, a VERY IMPORTANT tip: always, always, always avoid making your whole Route a wide-open rectangle or square! From the perspective of gameplay, this makes the Route overwhelming and uninteresting at the same time; this combination is the worst of all possible worlds, because it's only going to lead the average player to skip as much of the Route as possible, or even to make players who want to go for 100% completion struggle with doing so and feel frustrated and bored. It also keeps players from feeling the thrill of exploring - while most Routes carry a sense of discovery and excitement, a wide-open space isn't going to feel like you're discovering anything, because… well, you can see all of it. The Routes that stand out like this off the top of my head are Sinnoh's Route 217 (216 is a very similar Route that was done far better, for comparison) and Unova's Route 12 and Desert Resort although, speaking of the Desert Resort, the Relic Castle is an awesome place - you should avoid mapping any places like this. A simple red flag is the screen size: if your path is going north to south, but you also can't fit the whole thing east-to-west on your screen (or vice versa), you should narrow it down so the player has some sense of direction. If you want a Route to feel expansive, it's usually a better idea to add a lot of detours or make the path wind about than to make it big but empty. As a player, the satisfaction of exploring a massive Route comes from doing a lot, not just covering a large surface area!

To elaborate a bit more on the basic path, this is usually where you'll want to put any roads (whether paved like Alola Route 8 or a simple dirt path like Unova Route 6); there are no roads in optional detours, so this is how you can keep players from getting hopelessly lost (unless you want them to, but that's more a dungeon thing, not a Route thing, right?). Another thing to note about the basic path is grass placement: pretty often, early Routes have a fair amount of mandatory grass, middle Routes have the most grass, and lategame Routes have the least grass, instead tucking most of it away into optional detours.

Edit: Added links to maps of all of the specific Routes named!

Best tutorial for routes that I will forever keep.
Mine barely brought up much.

Hematite

Trainer
I'm really glad that both of you found it helpful!! Thanks!!

Taquilla, your post was great, actually! Alola Route 3 is pretty awesome, after looking up a map of it, but you're also right that I didn't notice it because your travel through it is cut up by tutorials, haha - good catch all around! Your ideas to have a Route based on an abandoned village and one based on a statue are both really cool, and the latter specifically sounds like it'd be amazing to see in a 3D game now that we have Game Freak working on the 3DS and Switch! (Must be a pretty gigantic statue, though, hehe.) I also really like your point of using HMs to create a shortcut all the way around the Route instead of just within one - Sinnoh Route 205 did that to let you walk completely around Eterna Forest and get Trick Room and some Berries and Accessories with Cut, so it was a neat way to backtrack and a really cool way to hide those items!

Riddle

Novice
I have extremely mixed feelings for routes, in both the canon games and fan games. My opinion ends up varying with the kind of place it is to begin with.

When it's a linear, generic grassy route with the exact same trees, ledges, and tall grass scattered everywhere with an army of Bug Catchers and Joey's, it is my instinct to immediately hate it and witch hunt after the creator of the game. I'm given no sense of exploration from it as there is nothing memorable or distinct about it, so I never go off path as I just want to get out of there as quickly as I can.

That mindset ends up applying to a lot of things in a game, fan game or not. When an area, such as a town or city, is something I've already seen a hundred times over, it ends up meaning nothing to me and going through it just feels like a slog. If there is a plot point there, it just overall feels less important since there is no reason to care for another copy-paste faceless town, making the plot point feel less impactful. And said plot point ends up being the only thing differentiating it from the rest of the boring generic towns/cities/forests/whatever.

There are tons of ways to fix this in a fan game, and tons of ways that Game Freak has fixed it. Hematite already covered most of that stuff in their awesome post, so I'll just say what makes an area better for me personally.

NPC's. This is a bit of a tricky one since they're, well, NPC's. They aren't supposed to be relevant, but you can definitely make them better than being just another character for the player to beat down. Have some non-trainer characters just wandering around--it helps a bit with the realism and the player doesn't end up feeling frustrated when literally everyone wants to attack them. Have their dialogue imply something that can help with the world-building. Whether it's referencing the game's plot, other characters, or something like the history of the route the player is in, it ends up keeping the story relevant while also giving the player something to speculate about. And viola--the NPC is no longer useless!

Personality. No, you don't have to have a custom tile set or something incredibly fancy to give off whatever vibe you're aiming for in an area. Either NPC's will handle that for you in dialogue, or the way you're mapping the area. Making tight areas between trees and putting stuff closely together will give a cluttered, maze-like feel (which can work really well in forests). Saturating and area a darker colour with rain will give some sinister or mysterious vibes. It can be a bit awkward seeing some serious events going on in some bright little flower field.

Size? Okay, this one is heavily my own opinion, but I love huge areas but not the lag :(. But they have to be done correctly! A giant empty space of a route isn't a giant route--it's just an empty space. Giving a winding feeling throughout an area with lots of twists and turns and optional curves of areas gives off the huge route a lot better and adds more depth. Smaller areas are similar, such as caves, but it has to be accomplished without the player feeling too claustrophobic and trapped in (unless that's what you want!).

Overall, this is something that can be overlooked as minor when making a game or playing one, but it's actually pretty important to many of the game's overall aspects. Routes are where the player is going to be most of the time, so they have to be unique and fun to go through, otherwise it's just bad game design.

Evan

game director, Pokémon Sea & Sky
In my opinion, routes are a huge part of the Pokemon experience. Especially in a game where increasingly a lot of story and narrative occurs in towns, routes have become the place where you do the most bonding and training with your Pokemon. Memorable routes can leave an impression--whether they have story significance, a cool look, good music, fun game design puzzles, etc, routes are anything but filler areas.

My only advice to people making games with routes is that it's always a good idea to think up a UNIQUE idea for each route. Early game routes, while they may have blended into each other, each had their own "thing" that kept them unique, and therefore memorable. When routes just become waystations from one town to the next, that's when I've considered a route to have failed.

Back