• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Gameplay Battle Rework

Brom

Crobat Appreciator
Recently, I've been playing Persona 5. I don't particularly like the battle system in Pokemon. I just find it boring and monotonous where you just press A on a move until the opposing Pokemon faints. In Persona however, I find battles to be somewhat compelling even though they essentially are the same system. Perhaps it is because you get an additional turn for exploiting an enemy's weakness. I do feel that at least in single battles, this ability can be unfair, even if the opponent can use it. It could also be because of the visual flair of the game too. My question to you would be how would you change the battle system (if at all) to be more engaging and strategic?

Jephed

Trainer
I've been a fan of the way the Mario and Luigi games handle their battles. It's a turn based battle style like Pokémon and persona, but you have to perform button actions at the correct time to land an attack effectively. Additionally. If your opponent attacks, you are able to dodge that attack (or even counter acttack) if you time your dodges right.)
You get the idea that you're actually battling with skill instead of just pressing A each turn.

MadDeodorant

Insert internet reference here
Honestly, if I had to rework Pokemon's battle system, I'd basically do what Ni No Kuni does. Random encounters where you're brought to a battlefield when coming in contact with any monster roaming around. When in battle, you are able to control the Pokémon you send out and choose any action from the ones available (battle moves, special moves, items or run) immediately, no turns whatsoever, so you can switch Pokémon whenever you wish, this doesn't make you lose turns, but the only thing you lose is time. A system like this would demand more of your reflexes and ability to pick the right action at the right time. Well, either this or a system like Chrono Trigger. That shit's fun.

Phi-Bi

Novice
A slight change with available features of Essentials: combine battle, arcade slot machine, and rework of accuracy/evasion stat. So for every attacking moves which is able to miss, after select an attack there is this slot machine games in which you have to win. If you fail, the move is missed. If your Pokemon's accuracy increase/ foe's evasion decrease, the slot machine speed decrease and vice-versa. Perhaps a variation can be made, for physical moves it's slot machine and for special moves, it's voltorb flip. Maybe it waste too much time but at least we get something different without change too much script on Essentials. Or is it too complex to be done?

Making weather and terrain more significant in battles can made the battle a bit more fun/difficult.

Also I wonder what makes Rotation Battle impossible to code on 2vs2? I know it's much work for 3 vs 3 but I wonder if it's possible to make Rotation Battle on 2vs2, it'd be interesting to have the foe randomly rotates so you have to be careful of your move selection.

Last edited:

BlasterMillennia

Novice
Pokémon is the only RPG series that I have experience with, though I've played a few other games that at least have RPG-like elements.

It seems that reducing randomness is a popular thought. An idea that I've heard from other sources is that we could make all attacks be 100% accurate in the absence of accuracy or evasion modifiers, but the attacks would have reduced power and/or PP. I've personally played around with the idea of having all moves, that could cause status conditions, cause them 100% of the time; however, the status conditions would be less severe than in the official games, and/or would automatically go away after a number of turns.

Taq

Sandwich Master
I once had an idea of a new battle system based on Yokai watch, where you are on a 3 x 3 grid which allows for movement. This allows you to dodge strategically by planning where to move when you dodge, the catch is some moves strike differently and you have a cool down after using it. Also maybe having a new gimmick that has a cool down as well, but only on one pokémon.

aiyinsi

A wild Minun appeared!
Also I wonder what makes Rotation Battle impossible to code on 2vs2? I know it's much work for 3 vs 3 but I wonder if it's possible to make Rotation Battle on 2vs2, it'd be interesting to have the foe randomly rotates so you have to be careful of your move selection.

Well I'm planning on releasing a rotation battle script after game jam. But it's actually 1v1 with rotation mecanics ;)

Reactions: Taq
Back