• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Using different styles tilesets.

CParks

Rookie
I'm making a game a currently am calling Pokemon Infinity Tower. I got the idea from the TV show Infinity Train, where basically every different cart on the train feels like it's own random world.

My game has some rogue-lite randomization to it, where each time you play all the floors of the tower could be different. Each floor is going to be handmade, they aren't randomly generated. But everytime you move up a floor, basically there is a bag of routes/towns the game can choose from to send you to next.

I'm wondering if it would be better to keep a consistent style throughout everything, or if it might be cool to see all different kinds of styles.

Upvote 0
Ooh, that sounds like a fun setup! I think using different styles of tilesets would honestly add to the effect of going through different worlds, honestly, so I'd encourage it! I would just suggest that you remember to 1) make sure the tilesets are consistent across themselves, unless you're going for something like the Unfinished Car, and 2) maybe include different styles for the player character, so it's not totally jarring when they transfer styles.

Back