• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

EXP All, or Not At All?

ValiantSoul

World Traveller
Hey guys,

I'm at a crossroads here. Let me start by saying my game has a fairly steep level curve, and jumps up fairly quickly; the first Gym is around Lv20 for the Leader with a Lv21 ace, and the second is around Lv30 with a Lv32 ace. There's also a level limit in effect, which goes up in 5 level increments so by the second leader, you'd be capped at Lv30 for instance.

Trainers are also designed to be challenging, with Leaders employing mixed strategies and teams of six. Not super hard (from playtesting I can say for certain) but certainly challenging.

My question then is this; would it be wise to enable the EXP All, say straight after the first Gym, or would removing the need to grind trivialise it? I've been bouncing between giving the item or the standard EXP Share/Lucky Egg.

What do we all think? I'm open to suggestions!

Cheers in advance!

Zygoat

Mimikyu enjoyer
With a level cap in place, there isn't much of a need to grind anyway, because you can't grind to get an advantage over a Gym leader, and only need to hit the cap. Maybe with the Exp All, you would be providing more of an incentive to switch up your team instead of having the same 6 all the time, if your Pokemon hits the cap you can exchange it for another without having to worry about switch training the new team member. Just don't force people to use it if you implement it, like Let's Go and Sword and Shield do. Having it as a toggleable option gives much more freedom to the player.

ValiantSoul

World Traveller
Mmm sounds like a good idea bud, it's in line with what I was thinking of going for so it's nice to know there's at least some consensus :)

Back