• Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly! You can learn how to add images to your posts here.

Would this be too hard for a third gym leader?

AwesomeToadUltimate

Novice
I have been coming up with the gym leader teams but I'm wondering if the third one is too hard. He has four Pokemon, with them being Lv20-21 and they are Steel type. The third gym is a Steel type gym because the city it's in is based on Pittsburgh (the region is based on the Northeastern US), and you start in the southern part of the region and head north. His team includes a Steel/Poison type unevolved fakemon, a middle stage Rock/Steel type fakemon, a third fakemon I'm trying to decide, and his ace is a fully evolved (it's a stone evolution) pure Steel type. However, I'm wondering if his ace would be too hard to beat. This is his ace

Ankylosteel Lv21

Type: Steel

Stats

HP: 75

Attack: 90

Defense: 120

Sp.Atk: 70

Sp.Def: 90

Speed: 45

Total: 490

Ability: Solid Steel (Steel type version of Solid Rock, though every super effective move does 1.5x damage, even if the Pokemon is four times weak to the move without the ability. The ability was originally intended for the Rock/Steel type fakemon I mentioned earlier, and the gym leader has the ability on it too, though I also decided to give it to Ankylosteel)

Item: Sitrus Berry

Moves

Magnet Bomb

Bite

Dragon Tail

Iron Defense

You do have some counters. If you didn't pick the Fire starter, there are some other Fire, Fighting, and Ground types you can get. You also have access to a few Water and Electric types at this point, with the Water starter being Water/Electric. Depending on the Pokemon, they might still be unevolved due to the level (example: the only Ground type fakemon I have thought of doesn't evolve until Level 26, though you also have access to Drilbur if you want a Ground type that hits harder). Would this be too hard, and if it is, how could I change it?

LoungYink

Rookie
Depends, it doesn't seem to bad. Are you putting level caps into your game? Is set mode enforced? Are items allowed in battle? Does his team have stealth rocks to mix with dragon tail forcing switches? The ace seems difficult but not overly difficult with some good special attacker. Combined with its slow speed, it seems manageable. However the rest of the teams movesets, stats and items would influence it a lot. I don't think it seems too bad.

AwesomeToadUltimate

Novice
Well, the only fakemon Fire type special attacker at the moment doesn't evolve until Level 29 (around the fifth gym) and it only has a 65 base Sp.Atk stat because it's an unevolved mon. The only other fakemon Fire types, which are the Fire starter and the regional bird, are physical attackers.

Keemonto

Novice
I think your best bet is to build a team you'd have at this point and try to take it down. It doesn't look too hard, especially if you have good status conditions to work with (if that sucker were burned, it'd be completely neutered, for instance). It depends on a lot of factors though. Like the LoungYink said, level caps, set mode, and items make a huge difference. So do entry hazards, especially with Dragon Tail.

So does the simple question of how hard you want your game to be. Pokemon Radical Red's second Gym Leader would eat this guy for breakfast, for instance. He's probably harder than most main-game third gym leaders though. Personally, I like a challenge, but if you're shooting for more of a click-and-win vibe, you could probably tone him down a notch. Though this man is only running three mons from the sound of it, and the player can bring six, so that makes it a fair ways easier.

Back