• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Player Pronouns (alt)

Resource Player Pronouns (alt) N/A

TechSkylander1518 submitted a new resource:

Player Pronouns (alt) - I coded a slightly different pronoun picker from Fiona's existing one

Okay, so, first and foremost, the differences between this resource and Fiona's! You should know that, even though Fiona's was developed in 17.2, it's still perfectly compatible with 18.1, so you do have options!
  • Installing Fiona's resource is a matter of just putting in one new script section, so it's much easier than adding mine, which involves...

Read more about this resource...

TechSkylander1518 updated Player Pronouns (alt) with a new update entry:

I actually don't know Ruby that well lol

Plug and play, baby! No need to go into a bunch of script sections, just making this a new one should do the trick! Also fixed the error where adding to a game would make it crash- now, the calls will just display in text until the player chooses their pronouns. (For example, \hes would actually displays as "\hes", rather than "he's")

Read the rest of this update entry...

serilly

Rookie
hey, i'm having some issues with this script - when using the custom pronouns it crashes once it gets to the second input.

it spits out the following error:
[Pokemon Essentials version 18.1dev]
Exception: RuntimeError
Message: Script error within event 4 (coords 20, 1), map 3 (Player's house):
Exception: NoMethodError
Message: Pronouns:148:in 'pbMessageDisplay' undefined method 'downcase' for nil:NilClass

hey, i'm having some issues with this script - when using the custom pronouns it crashes once it gets to the second input.

it spits out the following error:
Oh, sorry about that! I wasn't considering the order the pronouns are entered in for the message check. Luckily, it's an easy fix!

At this section of the code:
Ruby:
   unless Kernel.respond_to?(:pbMessageDisplay_Old)
      alias pbMessageDisplay_Old pbMessageDisplay
      def pbMessageDisplay(*args)
        if $Trainer
          if $Trainer.they

Just change "if $Trainer.they" to if "$Trainer.themself", and that should fix it!

Midwest

Rookie
Hey there! Is there a script command I can use during my intro that allows the player to set their pronouns during the character creation section where the player chooses their character model and name?

Thanks!

Hey there! Is there a script command I can use during my intro that allows the player to set their pronouns during the character creation section where the player chooses their character model and name?

Thanks!
Was looking over this and realized that the script asks to "Update pronouns", which might be a bit awkward for an intro lol, so if you want to change the text for the intro, change command = pbMessage(_INTL("Update pronouns?")!

Midwest

Rookie
Was looking over this and realized that the script asks to "Update pronouns", which might be a bit awkward for an intro lol, so if you want to change the text for the intro, change command = pbMessage(_INTL("Update pronouns?")!
Awesome, appreciate the additional update!

MsKarMagick

Rookie
New aspiring fangame maker here, looking through scripts available for use and stumbled upon this - I know to most fangame devs, and heck, most players it really don't seem like much, but small things like that to me and many trans, and non-binary folk, genuinely means the world to us, thank you so much for this script

New aspiring fangame maker here, looking through scripts available for use and stumbled upon this - I know to most fangame devs, and heck, most players it really don't seem like much, but small things like that to me and many trans, and non-binary folk, genuinely means the world to us, thank you so much for this script
I'm really glad! I think it's a really simple addition to make, and I hope to see more fangames and hopefully published video games working to include more options for trans players! I hope you have fun developing whatever projects you have planned!

Astralneko

Novice
Hey, I found this resource and I like it, so I downloaded it, and I have a few suggestions:

1. I noticed that it didn't have an ending type, just a "is/are" boolean. My game is going to be translated into Spanish, and while the is/are boolean will work for verb endings (iirc the commonly used nonbinary pronoun is le, so "él habla/habló, la habla/habló, le hablan/hablaron), but adjectives (and occasionally nouns) end in a different thing for male and female, so I decided to add one. Just something to consider if you like this resource but are making a game in Spanish, or another language that changes the ending of words. Here's what I did:

• In the module Tech_Pronouns, add attr_accessor :conjugation and @conjugation = "" to the list.
  • In pronounsHim, add the line $Trainer.conjugation = "o".
  • In pronounsHer, add the line $Trainer.conjugation = "a".
  • In pronounsThey, add the line $Trainer.conjugation = "o".
  • In pbMessageDisplay, below the line args[1].gsub!(/\\uslf/i,$Trainer.themself.capitalize), add args[1].gsub!(/\\oa/o,$Trainer.conjugation.downcase).
  • Use \oa for applicable endings in the Spanish translation. (Again, as English does not have gender agreement, only number agreement, you don't need it for the English language messages, but you still want to use \oa.)
  • In pronounsCustom, add the following, preferably between the lines $Trainer.themself = pronoun and command = 0:
Ruby:
$Trainer.conjugation = "o"
#===============================##
# Spanish translation needs proper adjective (and occasionally noun) endings too
if $PokemonSystem.language == 1 # Spanish
  pronoun = pbMessageFreeText(_INTL("¿Qué usa para terminar adjetivos, como el \"o\" en \"alto"?"),
                                "",false,2)
  $Trainer.conjugation = pronoun
end
...replacing the 1 in the if statement with the index number of Spanish in your Languages array. (Since English does not conjugate adjectives, it doesn't make sense to ask the question if the language is English. If the player changes languages, they'll just have to deal with the "o" until and unless they redo the PC.

2. Now, this one's applicable regardless of language, so if you consider updating this plugin (or giving me permission to post an updated version, since I've already made the changes on my end, and I could even add Mr./Ms./Mx. support too, although since my player character doesn't have a defined last name I never refer to them by that), I recommend doing this. Let's say you need to use an entirely different word depending on pronouns, for example "That man over there..." becoming "That woman over there..." Without the plugin, you could just tie this to $Trainer.gender, and you still CAN, but then you'd need to have a nonbinary gender defined, which I technically recommend anyways to all users of this plugin, but might still not apply. With this plugin, this could be done in a similar vein as the adjective steps above, except skip the editing of pbMessageDisplay replace "conjugation" with "pronounID", use the same IDs as the genders they are typically associated with (2 for they) in pronounsHim, pronounsHer, and pronounsThey. Instead of the block of code in pronounsCustom, since this applies regardless of language, I'd recommend just adding $Trainer.pronounID = 2, as technically the "they" version (e.g. "person" instead of "man" or "woman") is always correct anyways. Consider 2 to just be the default for a generic (gendered word), rather than specifically being tied to agender people. You'll see why I recommend doing this below. I know you could just use the they word regardless, like what Pokémon Uranium does (and they DO have a nonbinary player character), but this works better. Additionally, you do not need to edit pbMessageDisplay for this addition, because this would be used in a conditional branch, similarly to the "is" check.

Now, while it sounds annoying to have to do so many conditional branches with an is check and a pronounID check if a verb needs to agree with the player's pronouns AND a gendered word like "man" is used, if you simply use $Trainer.pronounID = 2 for pronounsCustom, you only will ever need to perform both an is check and a pronounID check if pronounID is 2, as both he/him and she/her (0 and 1) use "is". Plus, for both $Trainer.is and $Trainer.pronounID (both 2 and 0/1), you only need to perform one check and can use an "else" if you structure it right, cutting the number of individual branches to just 3. You can see an example of the nesting in this screenshot:
pronounnesting.PNG

While technically you could also do something like this for the adjective endings above, then you'd need to do this sort of thing for EVERY SINGLE SENTENCE. Using the \oa method above makes it actually practical to localize lmao.

Hey, I found this resource and I like it, so I downloaded it, and I have a few suggestions:
Oh, wow, that's really helpful, thank you so much!! Thinking about translation is honestly my biggest weakness, haha, and what you've put together seems really intuitive! (I think I'd prefer updating this resource as opposed to having a separate one, if that's alright with you- since there's already two pronouns scripts out there, it feels like it might be a bit confusing to have a separate script, haha. But you'd obviously be given credit for all of this, of course!)

Gardenette

Cooltrainer
This still active? Having trouble with the calls. They just aren't registering in Show Text commands. I called pbPronouns first. But when I use \sfl for example, it just puts "\slf"

Back