• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
BW Gender Selector

Resource BW Gender Selector v2.2

DeepBlue PacificWaves

Producer of Project Lunastone | Failed Dreamer
DeepBlue PacificWaves submitted a new resource:

BW Gender Selector - A script that recreates the Gender Choice used in the Gen V games, updated to Essentials v18.1

Some time ago, I've posted this resource in the Pokécommunity Script, Tutorials and Tools board, and I was planning to posted here too. It just took me awhile to figure it out how to do it, but here it is:

Long story short, I was looking throught the internet and I found a very neat resource that may help you in your projects. That is, the Pokemon Essentials BW - Gender Selector by KleinStudio. Unfortunately, the original script was made to a much more older version of the essentials. But...

Read more about this resource...

DeepBlue PacificWaves

Awesome job! It's working very well! But how do I can activate a variable based on the selection?
Just add a script call with the part of the code that's changing the player, pbChangePlayer(x). pbChangePlayer(0) is changing them to the male option, and
pbChangePlayer(1) to the female option. Right below them, add something like $game_variables[x]=y, with X being the number of the variable and Y being what you want to set it to. (You said "activate" a variable, did you maybe mean a switch? For that, you'd use $game_switches[x], and y would be true or false)

Are you sure you need a variable or switch, though? You can just use a script call to check who the player character is.

Victorcarvalhosp

Novice
Got it, thanks! I need this bacause I used a switch to check later in the game if its a boy or girl, I didn't know I could check who the player character is.

And I mentioned variable, but its a switch

DeepBlue PacificWaves

DeepBlue PacificWaves updated BW Gender Selector with a new update entry:

Support to Pokémon Essentials v19 added!!!

Hey guys, how are you doing?

I'm very happy to announce that the script it's now compatible with Pokémon Essentials v19, thanks to TechSkylander1518, that kindly took his time to go through the process of updating the script. I took this opportunity to remake the Script Layout, to look more like my recent scripts.

I've also updated the image files, in order to remove the libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile warning in the Debug Log. My recommendation is to...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Shubham

Rookie
hello i am having little problem with BWGenderSettings file. what exactly should i do
i am using 19.1v

tammyclaydon

Novice
sorry about that
i put script and graphics in my game, i have compiled game already but it shows default gender selector
so in the BWGenderSelecter.rb file you need to alter 2 things
change line 207 from:
pbChangePlayer(0)
to:
pbChangePlayer(1)

and line 238 from:
pbChangePlayer(1)
to:
pbChangePlayer(2)

that should fix it for you

tammyclaydon

Novice
how ever i cant seem to assign a variable or switch to the selected gender so I can show the trainer sprite image

ignore me I was being dumb and had the transparency or the image set as 0 not 255

however I did learn that instead of needing a variable or switch you can just script call $player.female?
this will return true if the player is a girl or false if a boy

Last edited:

Astefia

Cooltrainer
Can it be expanded to have multiple options? For example, a nonbinary protagonist or a few for each gender.

SirWeibrot

Novice
I have a problem.

The male trainer is slightly bigger than the female one

Picture 1.png

Here is a side by side to better illustrate what I mean:

Picture 2.png

As you can see the male trainer is bigger both when selected and de-selected and there are some extra pixels on his hat, shoulder, arm and lower leg when selected, presumably from the picture being enlarged.

IcyGoneSouth

Rookie
I keep getting this error:
[Pokémon Essentials version 20.1]
[v20.1 Hotfixes 1.0.7]

Script error in event 1 (coords 0,0), map 1 (Intro)
Exception: NameError
Message: undefined local variable or method `pbGenderSelector' for #<Interpreter @event_id: 1>

***Full script:
pbGenderSelector

Backtrace:
(eval):1:in `execute_script'
033:Interpreter:143:in `eval'
033:Interpreter:143:in `execute_script'
034:Interpreter_Commands:1112:in `command_355'
034:Interpreter_Commands:116:in `execute_command'
033:Interpreter:133:in `block in update'
033:Interpreter:90:in `loop'
033:Interpreter:90:in `update'
[Following Pokemon EX] Refresh.rb:255:in `update'
032:Scene_Map:160:in `block in update'

I don't understand what the problem is

LinKazamine

Champion
I have a problem.

The male trainer is slightly bigger than the female one

View attachment 15052

Here is a side by side to better illustrate what I mean:

View attachment 15053

As you can see the male trainer is bigger both when selected and de-selected and there are some extra pixels on his hat, shoulder, arm and lower leg when selected, presumably from the picture being enlarged.
I keep getting this error:
[Pokémon Essentials version 20.1]
[v20.1 Hotfixes 1.0.7]

Script error in event 1 (coords 0,0), map 1 (Intro)
Exception: NameError
Message: undefined local variable or method `pbGenderSelector' for #<Interpreter @event_id: 1>

***Full script:
pbGenderSelector

Backtrace:
(eval):1:in `execute_script'
033:Interpreter:143:in `eval'
033:Interpreter:143:in `execute_script'
034:Interpreter_Commands:1112:in `command_355'
034:Interpreter_Commands:116:in `execute_command'
033:Interpreter:133:in `block in update'
033:Interpreter:90:in `loop'
033:Interpreter:90:in `update'
[Following Pokemon EX] Refresh.rb:255:in `update'
032:Scene_Map:160:in `block in update'

I don't understand what the problem is
For both of you, I have Pokemon Essentials v20.1 and it works fine for me. I just copied all the archives in their proper folder, put pbGenderSelector in the intro and I don't get any error. The characters display just fine, even bigger than in the image (they show from the hips up, both at the same height and their pixel proportion is fine).

And for anyone that wants a sound when switching between the options like it was in Black and White, enter in the file BWGEnderSelector.rb and go down until you find the line if Input.trigger?(Input::LEFT).
All you have to do is add pbSEPlay("GUI sel cursor", 80) both conditionals (the one checking for the LEFT input and the one for the RIGTH input). And now every time you change the character highlighted there will be a sound.

And here I have uploaded a fixed version of the genderselect image that comes with the script, fixing the squares of the background so they're not cut and displaced.

DeepBlue PacificWaves

DeepBlue PacificWaves updated BW Gender Selector with a new update entry:

Support to Pokémon Essentials v21 added!

Changelog
  • BW Gender Selector now supports Pokémon Essentials v21
    • Because of that, older versions are, as for now, deprecated
  • The graphics bar was fixed, thanks to the efforts of user LinKazamine
    • The script credits were updated in order to reflect this change
  • Minor changes on how the script handles the trainer's zoom when not selected, thanks a bug reported by the user SirWeibrot

Read the rest of this update entry...

DogerG

Rookie
I want that when I choose the character if it is male or female, a switch is activated that makes the objects to be male or female.

What do I have to write and where?

LinKazamine

Champion
You can do that:
1701066843821.png

Ignore the code, the only thing you need here for what you are asking are the conditions on the conditional branches.

Back