• Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly! You can learn how to add images to your posts here.

Advice for creating my first game

Vlamingo200

Toxricity Enthusiast
Hello! Not sure if this is the right thread where to post this, but I hope it is. Anyway, onto the talking.

I am developing a Pokemon game with Pokemon Essentials. Thing is, this game will sort of 'break' the typical mold of your usual pokemon game. It will be heavily plot based, but still contain: Starters, Gyms, Evil Team, Legendary.

The twist I added to it is that there is not an option to choose the main character's gender/appearance, since you just play as him from his perspective of the story. The region is a brand new one, but I need some help/suggestions.

1) How do I erase the option to choose your character's gender, but keep the naming one?
2) What is something you see a LOT in fangames that you're tired of seeing? I want to know so I can avoid them.
3) What is something you wish you'd see more in fangames?
4) Any general advice? Do's/Don'ts?

1) How do I erase the option to choose your character's gender, but keep the naming one?
Check out the Intro map! There's an autorun event that usually sets up the game, but if you look at the other event, it's doing some things to setup a player character and start the game instantly for quick playtesting. The parts are explained pretty well on the wiki.

2) What is something you see a LOT in fangames that you're tired of seeing?
Don't try to force the player into an "unwinnable" battle and just assume they'll lose; it's cheap and dirty to jump the opponent's levels by 30 and assume that'll do it, someone will be stubborn enough to grind levels, cheese strat, or cheat to win. It's just bad game design. If for story reasons you want a character to be super powerful then find another way to show it, or at least add in a special nod and keep the game running in the condition of the player winning.

Getting different and breaking the mold right away instead of easing the player into it. Please showcase or at least give a tase of what makes your game special as soon as possible! Not every person who picks up the game will play to the end, or even make it to that mind blowing plot twist in the middle, but everyone will see the beginning. Grab them there and show them what makes this game different.

As for advice, I've gotta give the stock answer that no one wants to hear: The first game you make isn't gonna be your dream game.
Writing a game plot, character dialogues, mapping a whole region, and designing gym puzzles are all different skills that can be grown independently of each other. If you have a certain vision it's gonna take a few tries. I hope you'll enjoy the process of game making, and remember that it's okay to just make small things for practice, even if they're a whole little game that had nothing to do with the big one, or a whole gym puzzle that gets perfected but doesn't fit well. Enjoyment aside, it's not wasted because you are building those skills each time too.

Nomi

Trainer
Hello! Not sure if this is the right thread where to post this, but I hope it is. Anyway, onto the talking.

I am developing a Pokemon game with Pokemon Essentials. Thing is, this game will sort of 'break' the typical mold of your usual pokemon game. It will be heavily plot based, but still contain: Starters, Gyms, Evil Team, Legendary.

The twist I added to it is that there is not an option to choose the main character's gender/appearance, since you just play as him from his perspective of the story. The region is a brand new one, but I need some help/suggestions.

2) What is something you see a LOT in fangames that you're tired of seeing? I want to know so I can avoid them.
Check out the Intro map! There's an autorun event that usually sets up the game, but if you look at the other event, it's doing some things to setup a player character and start the game instantly for quick playtesting. The parts are explained pretty well on the wiki.

Don't try to force the player into an "unwinnable" battle and just assume they'll lose; it's cheap and dirty to jump the opponent's levels by 30 and assume that'll do it, someone will be stubborn enough to grind levels, cheese strat, or cheat to win. It's just bad game design. If for story reasons you want a character to be super powerful then find another way to show it, or at least add in a special nod and keep the game running in the condition of the player winning.

Getting different and breaking the mold right away instead of easing the player into it. Please showcase or at least give a tase of what makes your game special as soon as possible! Not every person who picks up the game will play to the end, or even make it to that mind blowing plot twist in the middle, but everyone will see the beginning. Grab them there and show them what makes this game different.

As for advice, I've gotta give the stock answer that no one wants to hear: The first game you make isn't gonna be your dream game.
Writing a game plot, character dialogues, mapping a whole region, and designing gym puzzles are all different skills that can be grown independently of each other. If you have a certain vision it's gonna take a few tries. I hope you'll enjoy the process of game making, and remember that it's okay to just make small things for practice, even if they're a whole little game that had nothing to do with the big one, or a whole gym puzzle that gets perfected but doesn't fit well. Enjoyment aside, it's not wasted because you are building those skills each time too.

A lot of what Aki said is great advice! Another thing to consider is the scope of your game. Planning really helps in the game development process, but at the same time, don't over-extend(?) yourself. Don't plan too far ahead, or make lofty, ambitious goals from the start, like every region, all Pokémon, every evil team, et cetera. New game makers often do that and end up failing or looking foolish in the long run. Make a general story outline and consider the layout of your region. Is it based on a real place? Is it fictional? What type of Pokémon live there? Questions like these help you build a foundation that you can create your world on. If your game isn't very story-based, consider the gameplay. Try to spice every battle up. TL;DR, be realistic with your goals and take one small step after another. Another useful thing is to not compare yourself to other games. Depending on the size of your team and such, it could just hurt your morale. Don't try to make a game that's super popular and will be on every YouTube channel. Make a game that you're proud to call your creation.

Good luck on your game-dev journey and I hope you one day get a project out!

Vlamingo200

Toxricity Enthusiast
Just wanted to say, you guys have been inspiring me a lot. Your words are very precious! Thank you so much.

A lot of what Aki said is great advice! Another thing to consider is the scope of your game. Planning really helps in the game development process, but at the same time, don't over-extend(?) yourself. Don't plan too far ahead, or make lofty, ambitious goals from the start, like every region, all Pokémon, every evil team, et cetera. New game makers often do that and end up failing or looking foolish in the long run. Make a general story outline and consider the layout of your region. Is it based on a real place? Is it fictional? What type of Pokémon live there? Questions like these help you build a foundation that you can create your world on. If your game isn't very story-based, consider the gameplay. Try to spice every battle up. TL;DR, be realistic with your goals and take one small step after another. Another useful thing is to not compare yourself to other games. Depending on the size of your team and such, it could just hurt your morale. Don't try to make a game that's super popular and will be on every YouTube channel. Make a game that you're proud to call your creation.

Good luck on your game-dev journey and I hope you one day get a project out!

Especially this! Since, at first, I thought about jamming in as much stuff as possible, despite me barely being a game creator. I am not convincing myself to keeps things fairly simple because of my 'Newbie' level, but I still want to break out of the typical pokemon mold.

The story is heavily plot based, but after the main story is over, you are free of the bounds of the story. Although, it is going to be very short, since rather than a region it is an island, with very little pokemon (Gen I and II pokemon, with very few Fanmade ones.)

Nomi

Trainer
Just wanted to say, you guys have been inspiring me a lot. Your words are very precious! Thank you so much.

Especially this! Since, at first, I thought about jamming in as much stuff as possible, despite me barely being a game creator. I am not convincing myself to keeps things fairly simple because of my 'Newbie' level, but I still want to break out of the typical pokemon mold.

The story is heavily plot based, but after the main story is over, you are free of the bounds of the story. Although, it is going to be very short, since rather than a region it is an island, with very little pokemon (Gen I and II pokemon, with very few Fanmade ones.)
Short post-games can be good if they've got replayability, like a battle facility or something. Make sure to add things for the player to still try and achieve even after beating the game!

Back