• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Fogs and Panoramas

Tutorial Fogs and Panoramas 2017-05-25

Aki submitted a new resource:

Fogs and Panoramas - Learning how to get really fancy with your game's visuals

Let's talk graphics! If you're looking for something special to help set the mood, you might consider trying out some Fogs or Panoramas; but what are they?

[tabs]
[tab=So what are Fogs?]

1. An image that lays over the entire map
  2. It can be a still image or an animated .GIF
  3. It can be any size; if it's not as big as the map it will be tiled/repeated to cover everything
  4. Its' transparency can be controlled in RMXP
  5. It can be set to move through RMXP (not animation,...
[/tab][/tabs]

Read more about this resource...

NoodlesButt

Addicted to Jams
I did not know you could set the fog/panorama in the tileset database. Nice tutorial.

WesKun

DarkShedinja
Nice Tutorial !

I was wondering if the fogs could be implemented during a time period ( morning/evening) do you know how to accomplish such thing ?

Venomous_Zero86

Rookie
i wanted to know if u have any fogs and panaramas u can give ive been trying to look for some but am beat and this seems really cool to have

i wanted to know if u have any fogs and panaramas u can give ive been trying to look for some but am beat and this seems really cool to have

I recommend checking out this raw resource by Mr. Gela, there's a lot of images that'll make great panoramas and fogs with just a little formatting.

I'll share these links but they're probably for the most part too specific to be usefull:
Check the 3rd spoiler button that's "Resources for Devs" and you'll find some fogs. Here's a direct link to the resource album for BS, I think there's some fogs in there.

MagentaGiratina

Distortion World Enthusiast
Is there a way to keep a fog in the same relative position regardless of where the player is? This fog is sized to the size of my map, or at least it's supposed to be, and I'd like it to have the light coming out of the bottom of the screen regardless of the player's location, since having it tiled kinda breaks immersion. Ignore the ugly map, I use it to test HM items.

Is there a way to keep a fog in the same relative position regardless of where the player is? This fog is sized to the size of my map, or at least it's supposed to be, and I'd like it to have the light coming out of the bottom of the screen regardless of the player's location, since having it tiled kinda breaks immersion. Ignore the ugly map, I use it to test HM items.

Well, one trick I've found can get a similar effect is to have an event that displays it as an image, and make your fog semi-transparent so the player can still see through it. That keeps it at the same position relative to the player, though, not to the map, so I don't know if that's what you're wanting.

Another option could be to set it as the graphic for an event? It'd end up being a big image because you'd have to arrange it to a 16x16 grid, but you can make events a lot bigger than the 32x32 tiles.

Hmm...I have an idea I'll suggest but I'm not sure how people normally do this. Try putting the fog graphic you made into the Pictures folder instead, and then you can call it with a 'Show Picture' command (it's on the second page of event commands). That will keep it attatched onto the camera instead of just overlaying the map. There is sometimes a bug related to doing this with the screensize set to Large, and you'll have to remember to erase the picture with an event when you no longer want the effect, but I think this'll do what you're looking for!

Kychu

Developer of Pokemon: Moonlit Skies
I have a question that I seemingly can't find an answer to online. Is it possible to have a fog/panorama scroll seamlessly on a map using x and y coordinates?
Here's a video example using rpg maker mv.

I'm sure it can be done, and needs some work. I just can't figure out a method to do it.

NoodlesButt

Addicted to Jams
I have a question that I seemingly can't find an answer to online. Is it possible to have a fog/panorama scroll seamlessly on a map using x and y coordinates?
Here's a video example using rpg maker mv.

I'm sure it can be done, and needs some work. I just can't figure out a method to do it.

There isn't one built into RMXP (although there was for it's predecessor...) so you'll need a script. I used this one in Attack On The Space Station for the scrolling space background. Make sure you credit The Sleeping Leonhart.
Ruby:
#===============================================================================
# Panorama Mover 1.1
#===============================================================================
# The Sleeping Leonhart
# Version 1.0
# 23-8-2007
# This little script allow you to move the Panorama.
# You can move the panorama with this command
# $game_map.move_panorama(x,y).
# Else you can compile the AUTOSCROLL_MAP hash for an auto movement in
# specificated map.
module Panorama_Mover
  # AUTOSCROLL_MAP = {map_id => [x movement, y movement]
  AUTOSCROLL_MAP = { 1 => [2,1]
  }
  # this is for the map not declarated in the hash don't touch if you dont know
#what are you doing
  AUTOSCROLL_MAP.default = [0,0]
end
class Game_Map
  attr_reader   :panorama_ox
  attr_reader   :panorama_oy
  alias tsl_game_map_setup setup
  def setup(map_id)
    tsl_game_map_setup(map_id)
    @panorama_ox = 0
    @panorama_oy = 0
  end
  def move_panorama(x,y)
    @panorama_ox += x
    @panorama_oy += y
  end
  alias tsl_game_map_update update
  def update
    tsl_game_map_update
    move_panorama(Panorama_Mover::AUTOSCROLL_MAP[@map_id][0],Panorama_Mover::AUTOSCROLL_MAP[@map_id][1])
  end
end

class Spriteset_Map
alias tsl_spriteset_map_update update
  def update
    tsl_spriteset_map_update
    @panorama.ox += $game_map.panorama_ox
    @panorama.oy += $game_map.panorama_oy
  end
end

Kychu

Developer of Pokemon: Moonlit Skies
There isn't one built into RMXP (although there was for it's predecessor...) so you'll need a script. I used this one in Attack On The Space Station for the scrolling space background. Make sure you credit The Sleeping Leonhart.
Ruby:
# Panorama Mover 1.1
# The Sleeping Leonhart
# Version 1.0
# 23-8-2007
# This little script allow you to move the Panorama.
# You can move the panorama with this command
# $game_map.move_panorama(x,y).
# Else you can compile the AUTOSCROLL_MAP hash for an auto movement in
# specificated map.
module Panorama_Mover
  # AUTOSCROLL_MAP = {map_id => [x movement, y movement]
  AUTOSCROLL_MAP = { 1 => [2,1]
  }
  # this is for the map not declarated in the hash don't touch if you dont know
#what are you doing
  AUTOSCROLL_MAP.default = [0,0]
end
class Game_Map
  attr_reader   :panorama_ox
  attr_reader   :panorama_oy
  alias tsl_game_map_setup setup
  def setup(map_id)
    tsl_game_map_setup(map_id)
    @panorama_ox = 0
    @panorama_oy = 0
  end
  def move_panorama(x,y)
    @panorama_ox += x
    @panorama_oy += y
  end
  alias tsl_game_map_update update
  def update
    tsl_game_map_update
    move_panorama(Panorama_Mover::AUTOSCROLL_MAP[@map_id][0],Panorama_Mover::AUTOSCROLL_MAP[@map_id][1])
  end
end

class Spriteset_Map
alias tsl_spriteset_map_update update
  def update
    tsl_spriteset_map_update
    @panorama.ox += $game_map.panorama_ox
    @panorama.oy += $game_map.panorama_oy
  end
end
Thank you. I'll be sure to credit them.

Would I have to put it in as a conditional branch, or anything like that specifically for it to work?

NoodlesButt

Addicted to Jams
Thank you. I'll be sure to credit them.

Would I have to put it in as a conditional branch, or anything like that specifically for it to work?

At the top of the script where it says AUTOSCROLL_MAP, you put in the Map ID where the panorama is used and the x/y movement speeds. There's an example already there.

Back