• Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly! You can learn how to add images to your posts here.

Survey: General Hardware Specs and OS

Brom

Crobat Appreciator
Hi, I'm Brom, as some of you may already know, and I'm working with Toby (formerly sukoshijon), Fontbane, Frog Wizard, and two others on a project currently known as Project SF (working title). For those who don't already know, Project SF is going to be a 3D fan game based off of the look of Gen 5 Pokémon. Because of this, we've had to use engines other than RPG Maker XP, but we've found that it's likely easier to make an engine from scratch. So, in order to make sure we're optimizing our game in a way that runs on most computers, we made a survey to figure out what hardware we should expect and what OSes we need to cater to.

The survey in sum asks for basic hardware information that you can find using System Info (generally), but Minecraft also (potentially) is a better option to find out your device info with the F3 menu. The specific things the survey asks are:
  • Your OS
  • If you have a dedicated GPU
  • Your GPU info (if you have a dedicated GPU)
  • RAM Amount
  • Info on your primary storage drive for games
  • Your CPU
It's greatly appreciated if you participate in this survey as it will make sure our engine will run well on a majority of computers! Click here if you want to participate. Along with this, if you provide your Discord username (with discriminator), you can also potentially be asked for help regarding playtesting. This is mostly for machines we may not have access to like Mac or Linux computers, but others who give their Discord username may be asked as well. If you have questions, feel free to DM me (Brom#1518 on Discord)!

Thanks again and stay safe!
c:

Last edited:

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet?
I think i told you this on discord, but worth noting: the people who go out of their way to fill out hardware surveys tend to be the people who know what they're doing and have better specs than your average game-playing computer user - according to the steam hardware survey the "average" gamer is packing a 6 GB GTX 1060 - and the steam hardware survey doesn't even require you to fill out the information yourself. I can tell you from experience that this is not actually representative of "most people who user a computer to play games."

So in short, aim for the lowest percentile you can get away with. That said, you're making an engine designed to look like the DS instead of like, Assassin's Creed, so I assume that won't be too much of an issue.

Brom

Crobat Appreciator
Yeah, valid. The survey is also there to find people with slightly under-represented hardware like Linux or Mac machines along with things like AMD hardware. I'm kinda curious if there will be any users from Vista or earlier though because it'd be neat to test on older hardware to see if things would work well.

Back