• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Resource icon

Tutorial How to properly formulate base EXP yield for Fakémon 1.0

Invatorzen

Umbra Dev
Buttjuice submitted a new resource:

How to properly formulate base EXP yield for Fakémon - Formula for base EXP yields

Please note this is for the gen 5+ way of getting the base EXP yield, and you can test it on official Pokémon if you don't believe me, for whatever reason.

Since I've started a Fakémon project I was just comparing the Fakémon we were making to already existing ones, but I recently got curious and figured there had to be a formula so I asked around. To no surprise, there is. Huge thank you to Maruno for finding it, as well as...

Read more about this resource...

futuresushi

Novice
I think I've worked out the rules for EV yield.

Pokemon that are the first in an evolutionary line give 1 EV
Pokemon that are second in an evolutionary line or aren't part of one (and aren't legendary) give 2 EVs
Pokemon that are third in an evolutionary line or are legendary/mythical/Ultra Beasts give 3 EVs

For legendary families, the prevo gives 1 EV, the evo gives 3. (Urshifu, Meltan, Poipole, etc. Larvesta and Volcarona also follow this rule, similar to how its Exp yield is legendary. Phione is treated as a prevo despite not evolving into Manaphy)

Mega Evolution doesn't affect EV yield - for example, Mega Mewtwo X still gives Special Attack EVs, not Attack, and Mega Slowbro still only gives 2 EVs, and follows the 7/20 formula. (Seems odd, because there are some in-battle form changes that affect EV yield, like Darmanitan or Minior)

Single-stage mons are a bit of an oddity - most of them give 2 EVs, but there is a fair number that give 1. (Chatot, Pachirisu, Smeargle, Delibird, Luvdisc, Castform, Spinda, Volbeat, Illumise, Plusle, Minun, Klefki, Carbink, and Furfrou) I suspect this is actually a sort of future-proofing - Nosepass, Sneasel, Gligar, Murkrow, and Aipom all gave 1 EV in Gen 3 - but I'm not positive. It seems unlike Castform or Furfrou would get evos, given their form gimmicks, and Girafarig has always given 2 EVs, and Farigiraf gives 3 now. Stantler and Qwilfish only give 1, but their evos seem to only give 1 as well? (Not positive, since they can't be transferred up yet)

And here's a really weird one - Falinks gives 3 EVs, and one of them is a Sp Def EV, even though that's its lowest stat! I genuinely think that one's an error that just didn't get caught.

Over time, EV yield has been moving away from mixed stats. In Gen 4, there were 22 new mons that gave EVs in more than one stat, but in Gen 8, there were only 2, both of which seem to be errors. (Falinks, as mentioned before, and Sobble, who gives 2 EVs when Grookey and Scorbunny only give 1 - that one's definitely an error, I'm sure of it) And it's not like there's been no opportunities - Cinderace's Attack is only 3 points less than its Speed, but it gives 3 Speed EVs rather than 2 Speed/1 Attack. (Compare that to Togekiss, whose Special Defense is 5 points less than its Special Attack, but it gives 2 Special Attack/1 Special Defense) It does make sense, mixed EVs seem to muddy training more than anything, but honestly, it just makes me think they should do away with Pokemon giving specific EV yields and instead go for an allocation system, like Creg's or DemICE's scripts.

Granted, there could be some fun concepts worth playing with in this form - pixie legendaries like Mew giving EVs in all stats rather than just 3HP, or Pokemon designed to be EV counterparts to Audino/Chansey that give high EVs in specific stats. (Maybe punching bag/boxing dummy inspired, haha) And I do like the friendship berries and power items, but with all the fuss the current system adds on the developer's end and the player's end...

Back