• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Creative Pokemon game making exchange?

Anime Watcher

dabbling in game design
Would anyone go for this?

I have some ideas for a couple of Pokemon fan games, but I don't want to build them myself; however, I'm willing to build an original game of a similar quality in exchange for having the fan game idea(s) built. I was wondering, would anyone like to participate in some kind of game making exchange, where, in exchange for a Pokemon hack or fan game according to my specifications, I build an original game for you of similar quality, according to your specifications?

I've been experimenting with game making, and, even though I'm not a pro programmer, I could probably build something fairly decent if you gave me the plan. In exchange, I would give you my plan.

Message me if you would like try this. I just don't feel like building my own fan games right now. My whole hangup has to do with how Nintendo reacted to Pokemon Essentials, but I still think I have some pretty neat ideas that I would like see made into a fan game at some point.

MGriffin

Trainer
This is an interesting idea, but I'm afraid I don't have the time to take you up on the offer.

... But I wonder if you could do a "Secret Santa" themed game jam, where half-way through the games get shuffled around, or something?

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet?
If by exchange you mean "recommend existing games that are similar to what was described," it could work, and there are in fact resources (or were at some point in history, anyway) out there on the Internet like that for Pokémon hacks/games.

If you instead mean "make a game built specifically to your spec," well . . . making games takes an awful lot of time and work. 48-hour game jams are exhausting enough and the Relic jams last a whole month, feature various degrees of experimentation and are still exhausting. You can ask around, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

... But I wonder if you could do a "Secret Santa" themed game jam, where half-way through the games get shuffled around, or something?

I seem to recall Relic doing a round robin-type of game once, sort of like Make a Fakemon but for entire games, where people would do work on the project for like a day or so and pass it on to someone else. I don't remember what happened to it though, which probably means people got bored of it.

Back