• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Entertainment What Pokemon need removal/improvement?

TheBarmyBrit

Novice
I know there are many Pokemon out there that you love and adore, as well as ones that you despise with a burning passion cough Probopass cough cough. However, that's not what this is about, so to speak, no this is about Pokemon that are meh. The ones you always forget or wonder why they exist in the first place. As such, in this thread I ask you 2 pressing questions:

1) What Pokemon is one that you could remove from the games if given the chance? (give reasons as to why, as that will help out with explaining your answer to question 2)
2) Instead of getting rid of them, how would you improve them in such a way that you would like them? (don't just say better stats or move pool, as that is a cheap answer.)

I will start off, to give you all an idea of what I mean. As much as I don't like certain Pokemon, there is always a reason for their design and existence as a whole. Unfortunately there is just one poor little fish that I can never really defend, and it's from my favorite generation!
luvdisc.png

Luvdisc, the Heartscale chain fished pokemon.
Seriously, as of right now that's the only reason why this thing exists and that is just sad. The design is uninspired, the cuteness factor only lasts for so long, and I have never bothered using one on any of my run-throughs of Ruby (and there have been plenty). Honestly if Luvdisc was removed from the canon tomorrow I would only worry about not being able to remember moves as cheaply.
But how would I fix this little heart attack into a viable mon? Easy: an evolution.

alomomola.png

I know a lot of people in the community see Alomomola as a psudo-evolution to Luvdisc as they as similar designs, typing, and I believe even move pool. I can see fan modders making them into an evo line, which would actually increase the interest of both of these Pokemon. Heck, why not a third form that looks like a genuine heart instead of a cartoonish one, or maybe a second typing to Water/Fairy to reflect on its loving nature and fairy tale aspect of "any couple meeting this POKéMON is promised a loving relationship that never ends."

But those are my ideas anyway, let me know what Pokemon you would want to remove/improve and have fun with it! I may add more Pokemon I would improve upon after some replies have been submitted, so stay tooned!

Xerado

Novice
@TheBarmyBrit. I actually just recently implemented this change into my game with all the points you stated.
Of course I tweaked the stats around a little but I always did think it was weird they weren't connected as they share a ridiculous amount of similarities. Other Pokémon that I think need tuning are Ledian. It gets Iron Fist with abysmal attack and it's spdef doesn't even matter since all it's stats are garbagio. I think it needs an ability that reflects on its stats or stats that reflect on its ability. (Maybe a mega?)
As for designs I hate..... Crabominable and Drampa, get out. I like the ideas themselves, they are just in desperate need of some redesigns.

MarcStuts08

Novice
@Xerado Speaking of Ledian, I'm tinkering with an ability for Ledian called "Vorpal Fist" the plan is to have it use Special Attack for Punch based moves, maybe giving them a power boost too.

MadDeodorant

Insert internet reference here
Mr. Mime just needs to... go away. Like. Just cease to exist. Forever. Keep Mime Jr., at least it's cute.

Poq

Cooltrainer
Girafarig needs serious revision - especially after the GS Demo leak in which the original concept was so much more interesting than the lackluster pokémon we ended up with.

Anime Watcher

dabbling in game design
1st Gen...

Mr. Mime
Too creepy! Fix it to where it still has the cuteness factor (and move pool) of Mime Jr. Mime Jr. is super cute, but Mr. Mime is just...creepy... maybe make him look more like Abra or Hypno some other less humanoid Pokemon. Oh, or maybe give him a more elegant looking evolution?

Jynx
Smoochum is okay, but Jynx looks too much like a bad racial stereotype, even with the palate swap--whether the character's creators want to admit it or not, regardless of what the design meant in their culture, here it can still be taken as racist. Maybe make her look more like an evolved form of Smoochum instead of a short dark-skinned lady? Round out her face, and give her a duck bill instead of those big lips.

Electrode
Needs better defense and maybe a different typing. Give it better defense and a better back story. A sentient Poke Ball could be pretty cool if it was presented right...

Great Pokemon but could be better looking

Ivysaur / Venusaur
It just looks ugly after its first form. It's a powerful Pokemon and a decent sweeper and status affecter, but it looks like an ugly old toad.

Mew
Mew's in-game design needs a little work, but it looks very cute in the anime. It would also be great if this super rare Pokemon were available in game. It could be a secret fossil that gets revived or something instead of an event exclusive Pokemon.

Mewtwo (especially the mega evolution)
Same problem as Mew; in the anime, he's okay, except for that odd mega-evolution form, but in-game he needs a little makeover.

Pokemon from other gens:

Chikorita
It looks too much like a walking root. Subtle design changes might help it look a little more like a dinosaur.

Totodile
I don't like this Pokemon for a lot of reasons. It doesn't seem like it's as strong as Blastoise, and its evolutions are ugly. Why not soften the lines a little bit, improve the stats, and make this Pokemon cuter?

Tropias
While I'm okay with its design I think it needs--better battle stats (although I guess it makes an okay HM slave), and a pre and post-evolution.

The many Pokemon based on things; Some of them are cute, but with others it just kind of looks like Nintendo was running out of design ideas.

Melmetal / Meltan (and other Pokemon that look like it)
I can accept Melmetal and Meltan, if you give it a good enough backstory, but please STOP making Pokemon that look like giant robots and silly monsters. Give them at least SOME animal or plant characteristics that show us you are TRYING! There are too many Pokemon that look like things, and I'm a little unhappy that Nintendo perhaps did not put a lot of artistic work into this "new Pokemon."

All of the Pokemon that look sloppy or poorly detailed, including Bidoof, Gulpin, and others like those.
The first generation Pokemon seemed to me to be gorgeous works of art, but I'm not seeing the attention to detail in some later Pokemon.

StarWolff

Cooltrainer
I've changed a lot of pkmn, so I'll just talk about three
the ugly mustache Probopass
BAM Regional form
PROBOPASS_1.png

Luvdisk
BAM it's a colony now (like wishiwashi)
LUVDISC_1.png

heatmor
BAM Mega
HEATMOR_1.png

TooMuchWater

Novice
I think anything that isn’t already OU or Uber could use expanded movepools. I’d keep the base stats the same so competitive players can predict how much damage their attacks will do but just give them new coverage moves and hidden abilities.

SomeAllay

Novice
i would say prob durrant need improvment, heatmor as well, there both pretty boring

Bootsy

Rookie
This has been said a lot and probably already been said in this but a baby form of milktank/tauros' females would be milktanks and males would be tauros' and tauros would evolve into boufolant and maybe make a evolved form of milktank like a grandmother pokemon

SomebodyRandom

Trainer
I think more starters should have signature moves, especially pokemon like Chikorita who already arent that good.

Paulypus

Programming without really knowing what I'm doing
I think more starters should have signature moves, especially pokemon like Chikorita who already arent that good.
Actually done that in a game I'm working on (I gave every single starter a signature move, Megainium got an entirely offensive quiver dance that also boosts allies and has a 25% chance to omniboost instead)

A few pokémon I think need help are Sunflora, Ledian, Kricketune, Castform, and Parasect (in fact a lot of fully evolved bug types need some serious help, their stats kinda range from meh to abysmal)

Silver Bour

Rookie
I think that Kecleon, Masquerain and Trevenant would all be worthy of getting something.

First, Kecleon. It has a great Sp Def stat, but everything else is quite lacking. If you make protean as it's normal ability, increase it's attack to at least 115, and more heath. If not, give it an evolution, so then it can hold the evolite.

Next, Masquerain. Make it Water/Bug type, as it's more interesting than Flying bug. Then, increase all it's stats buy 10, and then you have a fierce quiver dancer.

Lastly, Trevenant. Doesn't need much, just higher attack and maybe a different ability, like Chlorophyll for sun teams, or Grassy Surge because why not.

Back