• Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly! You can learn how to add images to your posts here.

Tips for creating a coherent story?

nannerb

Rookie
Hey everyone! I am trying to create a Pokemon fangame. Long story short, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on story creation and game flow they would share. Obviously Pokemon games arent story heavy, but a good story goes a long way in one of these games. Thanks for any help!

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet?
I've scrapped way more stories than I've actually completed (zero) so I may not be the best person to ask, but a few days ago Extra Credits published a video on the three ways one can go about doing game writing that I thought was pretty good. Basically it claims that (most) games either focus on the plot, the characters or the lore, and the games with the best stories or worldbuilding are the ones that know which they want to pursue and stick to it.

For example, I'd argue that Pokémon games generally focus on characters (N, Cyrus, Lusamine, Ghetsis, Lysandre, Lillie, in no particular order) but a few focus on lore (Hoenn). Of course, this doesn't mean you have to do that in a fan game.

Does that answer your question at all?

nannerb

Rookie
I've scrapped way more stories than I've actually completed (zero) so I may not be the best person to ask, but a few days ago Extra Credits published a video on the three ways one can go about doing game writing that I thought was pretty good. Basically it claims that (most) games either focus on the plot, the characters or the lore, and the games with the best stories or worldbuilding are the ones that know which they want to pursue and stick to it.

For example, I'd argue that Pokémon games generally focus on characters (N, Cyrus, Lusamine, Ghetsis, Lysandre, Lillie, in no particular order) but a few focus on lore (Hoenn). Of course, this doesn't mean you have to do that in a fan game.

Does that answer your question at all?

It does help quite a lot! Thank you for your feedback. I had not realized the emphasis Pokemon games puts on good character design. Thank you for your tip!

Archduke

Red Mage
It also helps to map out the story beats in advance and have some sort of lore and character development planned before actually jumping in. It's easier to be coherent when you're not just coming up with everything as you go along, but actually have some basis of knowledge in the world you've created. As a bonus, it can make your world seem more believable if the rules that you've crafted for your world are actually followed regularly as the story adapts and shifts rather than changing when the plot calls for it (although there are exceptions to every rule).

Back