• Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly! You can learn how to add images to your posts here.

Examples of features/mechanics

FireBurn256

Rookie
Hello everyone, my first post here, dunno if this is the right place, subforum name quite fits. I apologise in advance if not, and I guess mods or admins will move it to a more appropriate place
Anyways, here is what I was thinking about for a while. Many Pokemon games feature different mechanics that affect gameplay in some way or another, sligthtly or on a big scale, some of them were successfully implemented, some not. Maybe the developer thought the game would benefit from such features, maybe the developer thought it would make game cooler, but whatever, the new mechanic is here.
Sure there were numerous threads about different gameplay changes, and I found them quite interesting to read, but the idea on paper and the idea in game are two different things. There are too many factors to consider.
I find it kinda hard to analyse the idea while it is not implemented in game. This is what I am looking for: if you know a game with some interesting gameplay mechanics or features introduced in, can you share this knowledge? Just a game 's name and what feature you found there remarkable. Anything goes, and thanks in advance!
The examples of bad implementions are welcomed too!

FireBurn256

Rookie
I think a standout one would be SPEE's battle system. Instead of one on one turn based battles, there's a bunch of pokemon all on the field at once using moves that have cooldowns. If you're interested in different battle mechanics, I also think Trial of the Hanged Man and Pokemon Tower Defense are pretty fun takes on using familiar pokemon/moves in a new battle style.
Thanks, I will give them a shoot! Do you have any examples of new mechanics while game at the core is still your average "get 8 badges gotta beat E4" game?

BIGFriv

Mr. Bigglesworth
I don't know if its what you want exactly.

But Pokemon Reborn expands on the idea of terrains moves that GameFreak created, and added a new kind called Field Effects.
Permanent changes to the battle that can be manipulated during the battle, they are basicaly terrains but on steroid. They don't require a move to be activated as they are in the battle by default and are dependent on where you got into a battle.

Tall grass has a grassy field. Surfing has a water field. Diving has a diving field.
All fairly complex but you can learn more by watching some playthroughs online or reading about them. I am unsure if thats what you want.
The game still follows the gyms and then E4 story.

Back