• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

The Ups and Downs of New Types

Simple Question - Yay or Nay on New Types?

• Cool! Those are always fun.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nah. We have enough already.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Depends on the idea at hand.

Votes: 34 81.0%

• Total voters

zarexraze

Novice
It is a somewhat complex idea when one wishes to make additions to their games type chart. At first glance it seems like a harmless idea, but when one really breaks down the entire process of making a new type, it gets complicated.

As such, I have created a place for people to discuss not only the process of creating new types, but all the other tidbits of it all, such as tossing ideas, balancing them, using them as nerfs to certain types, new moves for them, new Pokemon representatives, and any other game mechanic or detail that is related or worked with your new type ideas. One can also add their own thoughts on the whole idea of a new type and whether we could see one in the future, which one you would like to see, or whether you say nay to the whole thing.

(P.S. Sorry if this came off as serious and formal, I do not usually talk like this, lol)

Last edited:
Overall, I think new types usually are unnecessary and are just there for the sake of being there. I mean, I see a lot of new types and think 'Do we really need that? Aren't there other types that sort of cover this?'. For example, I see Cosmic and some form of 'Magical' types quite often, but honestly any Pokemon with that typing could very easily be some combination of Physic or Fairy, and so those new types just feel redundant and unneeded. Other type I see quite a lot is Sound. This one actually makes a bit of sense to me, since we already have a category for sound type moves, and there are various Pokemon with a sound theme behind them (Wismur line, Chatot, Chimecho, ect.). I still feel like this isn't really needed though, as these Pokemon and moves work fine as is, and removing or adding their types would feel a little too odd for me (imagine if Bug Buzz wasn't a bug type move, or if Primarina's signature move wasn't even water type?)

Of course, there's also the issue of balancing your new type, even if you have an idea that makes sense and works really well. I don't really know much (or really anything at all lol) about balancing or competitive battling, but I do know that just throwing in a new type without really thinking all that stuff through won't work out well. Heck, Fairy type was added partially just to nerf Dragon types if I'm remembering that right, so you can see that balancing is a very very important thing to think about when adding a new type.

manta

★★★★★
Most of the time I dislike new types, especially ones like Cosmic and Sound. We have way too many types as it is, and types themselves are already rather ambiguous. What separates Rock from Ground? Where does Fairy end and where does Dragon begin? For example, something like Sound would complicate the type chart even further and split up Normal, which is already meant to be like a 'typeless' type. I don't think it's worth it to add a new type just for the sake of it, just for another feature on the list. Even Nuclear in Uranium was a little far-fetched, and I see people trying to make stuff like 'Crystal' a type? Really?

zarexraze

Novice
Overall, I think new types usually are unnecessary and are just there for the sake of being there. I mean, I see a lot of new types and think 'Do we really need that? Aren't there other types that sort of cover this?'. For example, I see Cosmic and some form of 'Magical' types quite often, but honestly any Pokemon with that typing could very easily be some combination of Physic or Fairy, and so those new types just feel redundant and unneeded. Other type I see quite a lot is Sound. This one actually makes a bit of sense to me, since we already have a category for sound type moves, and there are various Pokemon with a sound theme behind them (Wismur line, Chatot, Chimecho, ect.). I still feel like this isn't really needed though, as these Pokemon and moves work fine as is, and removing or adding their types would feel a little too odd for me (imagine if Bug Buzz wasn't a bug type move, or if Primarina's signature move wasn't even water type?)

Of course, there's also the issue of balancing your new type, even if you have an idea that makes sense and works really well. I don't really know much (or really anything at all lol) about balancing or competitive battling, but I do know that just throwing in a new type without really thinking all that stuff through won't work out well. Heck, Fairy type was added partially just to nerf Dragon types if I'm remembering that right, so you can see that balancing is a very very important thing to think about when adding a new type.

In the realm of new types for official games, yes I do agree that we have enough types. Cosmic as a type is not only a weird idea to me, but in a nutshell, it's the typing for "everything conceivable in the entire known universe except our tiny, tiny, tiny speck of a planet." And Magic-type is basically what Psychic, Ghost, and Fairy are all together. I also share the same opinion with the Sound-type. While I'm personally in the support of that as an idea, the current representations (a.k.a. "sound-based" moves) and Pokemon like Oricorio do the whole spectrum justice.

What I'm personally more interested in is new types in fan games, games that don't have to follow the same rules and limitations set by being an international brand. Heck, I'm planning a fan game myself, and I added the Sound-type and Mystery-type. Sound is obvious what it is (but also includes connotations of cleaning, theatrics, performances, and the whole middle ground between Fighting and Psychic), but the Mystery-type is the type to break all the rules. Fourth-Wall breaks, glitches, NSFW subject matter, and anything that people would say: "Oh, that shouldn't be in a Pokemon game!" I might just explain my edited type chart once I finalize and balance it.

All in all, sorry for the weird response, but yes, I do agree with you completely.------------------------
Most of the time I dislike new types, especially ones like Cosmic and Sound. We have way too many types as it is, and types themselves are already rather ambiguous. What separates Rock from Ground? Where does Fairy end and where does Dragon begin? For example, something like Sound would complicate the type chart even further and split up Normal, which is already meant to be like a 'typeless' type. I don't think it's worth it to add a new type just for the sake of it, just for another feature on the list. Even Nuclear in Uranium was a little far-fetched, and I see people trying to make stuff like 'Crystal' a type? Really?

I don't think it's really for complete and utter logic, but just for the fun of it all. Basically it's more of just fun speculation and ideas. And I really, REALLY know what you mean by ambiguous areas in types. Like, how is U-Turn a Bug-type move? Or would a theoretical move like "Black Thunder" be Dark or Electric? These sort of ambiguous areas are sort of inevitable in the grand scheme of it all. Sometimes I myself really do wonder, where does Psychic end and Fairy begin? Like okay, thanks to Sun and Moon, we could say that Psychic is the whole Cosmic-type, right? Wait a minute, theres Clefairy! But wait, if Fairy-type is meant to be the moon of lunar powers, when why is Lunala a Psychic/Ghost-type? Why is Cresselia or Mesprit not Fairy? Heck, if we're talking about space and aliens, why is Beheeyem, a Pokemon based off an insect-like alien creature NOT a Bug-type?

The simple answer to it all is that ultimately, typings are subjective. You could make the most lunar based Pokemon in the entire world, and then make it an Electric/Poison type. That would be how you viewed those ideas and connotations, but someone else could view them differently. Types, in the whole grand scheme of things, are just loose subjects. Hence, they're subjective. What may be a bad-idea to you may be brilliant to someone else. I still remember the good amount of people who said: "Oh, we can't have a Fairy-type, that's what Psychic and Dark are for, that's a stupid idea!" And yet, here we are, with the crazy thunder chicken dealing STAB-damage to Hydreigon, and a simple little cretin with the Magic Guard ability suddenly becoming much more usable.

But like I said, it's for the fun of it all. Maybe they would make Crystal to nerf Fairy in some way. Maybe they would add things like Super Blast, Multi Shot, or Power Wave as Normal-type special moves, that way Sound could potentially exist. Or maybe they wanted a new type for the sake of a new type. Heck, that's how I started in my own personal research of new type ideas, which led me to Sound and Mystery. But all in all, I really don't mind when a fan game does something different with the type chart. It's something new to experiment with. Heck, I would actually LOVE to see a game where they balanced the type chart without the Fairy-type. Maybe they made Steel super-effective to Dragon, or do something random like Grass being super-effective to Ghost, or Fire no longer resisting Bug. I would thoroughly enjoy seeing what they came up to.

Last edited:

Phi-Bi

Novice
From my perspectives, adding a new type for the sake of 'balancing' type chart or change existing Pokemon so their typing 'make sense' don't add much enjoyment to a RPG - Pokemon fan games. It is the story that makes such fan games stands out. Features are made so that players could enjoy the plot and the game itself even when the plot has ended. If someone wants to add a new type, I'd like to see if they consider the relevance of that type in the plot. Uranium did a great job in this part, the introduction of Nuclear-type gives us insight how human activities affect Pokemon even turning them to vicious creatures similar to Shadow Pokemon. In other words, new types if exist should be a relevant features that has important impact in the world you create and not just there for an attempt to 'correct' Game Freak 'mistakes'.

Another example I could think of: adding Light-type in a region entirely located in the underground or cave. In such region, Light-type Pokemon will be very important since they are the major energy source of the region (similar how sun is the major energy source on the surface). They are the cheapest light energy source. However, there's this 'evil' team that wants to abuse them or something like that and story goes on. You could add Light-type legendary and so on. All of these make the new type important as a feature and not just being there. By this logic, you could also introduce Aero-type in a region located entirely in outer space since they are capable of controlling/producing air while Flying-type cannot. Of course this concept is too rushed as I just try to give an example by what I mean.

However, things are different when you are making a new franchise yourself. You could create your own world with your own rule with what you perceived as 'balanced' type chart and 'make sense'.

Copy+pasting some stuff I wrote on old Relic-
I think one thing people don't necessarily realize about types when making new ones is that types aren't always the only classification for Pokemon. Some concepts just don't mesh well with the type lineup for now, and are better off as a special group. For example, I saw one fan type called the Myth type. Now, while mythological Pokemon are cool, it's pretty hard to work how types would interact with it, especially since mythological creatures don't have universal traits. But what about a Field Effect or item that powered up those Pokemon? (Note from the present-Like @Dawn Bronze mentioned, some moves work great because they're both-a Bug or Water sound-based move-and adding in another type undermines that)
Some recurrent types I see are:

• Cosmic/Space-It's a type that I thought would be like the Myth type, but the moves I've seen for it definitely seem to be in their own niche. (Planets colliding, star power, and the like) The type matchups tend to be a little strange, though-I always have to ask for clarification with most of them.
  • Sound-While sound can be incorporated into a lot of designs, it doesn't really fit type matchups. That's why I think it's best to make it a "subtype" of sorts-some Pokemon have an ability that interacts with sound-based moves, but it's not its own type.
  • Magic-Okay, my Skylander nerd side is gonna come out in this one a bit. Magic happens to be an element in Skylanders, and because of that, it's definitely got a solid concept in my mind. (wizards, voodoo, alchemy, spells, and so on) But in Pokemon, these subjects are kind of split in-between the Psychic and Fairy types-it's not something easily fit in unless you take out one of them, and it might be easier to just retype a magic-based Fakemon.

Types don't necessarily have to match up with current Pokemon, IMO. You can always make some Fakemon to grow the type, and even it would make a canon 'mon have too many weaknesses, as long as their type combo isn't in the game, it's not a big deal. You could also make a type nearly the same with every type, like the Nuclear type of Uranium. (though that mostly suits a man-made type)
The Light type is a funny thing, because in addition to figuring out how the Light-type works, you pretty much have to revamp the Dark type as well to suit the shift in design. The Dark type right now is based on fighting dirty, not on elemental darkness. (Hence why Ghost gets the Shadow-X moves-meaning Shadow Ball, Shadow Sneak, etc., not the Shadow type) So in a game with elemental light, the Dark type should be altered to suit this new format. For example, you could give it Fire, Electric, and Light (things that banish darkness) as weaknesses instead of Fighting and Bug (types associated with heroes-Japan associates insects with superheroes for some reason)

One thing I think should always be considered in adding in a new type is not just nerfing other types, but buffing others as well. Normal, Grass, and Ice could definitely use some love, and there's some easy ways to include that in a new type. Maybe Normal-types just flat-out don't believe in magic, and Magic-type moves don't affect them. (giving all Normal-types at least two immunities, three with an extra type) Maybe the transparency of ice makes Light-type moves go right through Ice-types, or maybe Grass-types use light to photosynthesize. There's definitely some ways this can be explored.

What separates Rock from Ground?
I think in early gens, this wasn't very well-defined, but as the games progressed, they've made the two more distinct. Rock gets associated with gemstones (Power Gem, Carbink, Diancie) and materials like glass (Nihilego) or hematite (Nosepass line). Ground has become more soil-oriented, with sand/mud-based Pokemon (Sandile line, Sandyghast line, Mudsdale line, Rototiller, Mud Bomb, Mud Slap). They're still pretty similar, but it's at least not as confusing as back when you could barely tell which was which.
Where does Fairy end and where does Dragon begin?
I'm...a little baffled that they seem muddled to you, honestly. Unlike Ground and Rock, the two have never had any Pokemon that are both types, nor do their moves have similar themes. The closest I could see would be arguing that Draco Meteor and Moonblast/Moonlight are similar in that they both deal with space, which still isn't quite enough to make the two that similar. Compare Fairy evolutionary lines like Spritzee's, Slurpuff's, and Flabebe's to Dragon lines like Axew, Dratini, or Noibat. It's pretty clear the two wouldn't mix.
Normal, which is already meant to be like a 'typeless' type.
I think that's a little untrue-it's meant to have some meaning in battle, or else it wouldn't have the effects it does. (weakness to fighting, immunity to Ghost) We've also got all those dual-type Normal-types-Normal/Flying, Normal/Grass, Normal/Ground, Normal/Fire...if it was irrelevant, surely they'd all just be single-typed?
I see people trying to make stuff like 'Crystal' a type? Really?
I might be mistaken, but are you talking about Project Azurite? I thought it was a strange idea, too, but it seems to me that it's kinda supposed to be a "non-type"-completely neutral with all other types, and it only comes through a transformation like Mega Evolution, rather than how other types are more natural.

I generally don't like new types. Trying to remember new matchups can be confusing and unintuitive depending on the developer.

I'm okay with maybe like... one new type, though. As long as you tie it to the lore of your game somehow and make the matchups interesting, yet easy to remember. The Nuclear type from Pokémon Uranium is the prime example of how I enjoy new types being added. I'm pretty sure we've seen the Sound type and Light type added to a hundred different projects before, I hope you can come up with something better than that.

I also don't really like retyping existing 'mons outside of new forms. That just deepens the confusion. If you do this, please document these changes somewhere easily accessible.

Overall, I'm not a fan of them but they won't be a deal breaker for me unless you're adding a bunch. I'm not a fan of how many Prism adds, but Prism's positives vastly outweigh my personal tastes on the matter.

manta

★★★★★
I'm...a little baffled that they seem muddled to you, honestly. Unlike Ground and Rock, the two have never had any Pokemon that are both types, nor do their moves have similar themes. The closest I could see would be arguing that Draco Meteor and Moonblast/Moonlight are similar in that they both deal with space, which still isn't quite enough to make the two that similar. Compare Fairy evolutionary lines like Spritzee's, Slurpuff's, and Flabebe's to Dragon lines like Axew, Dratini, or Noibat. It's pretty clear the two wouldn't mix.
Er, I was just thinking of an analogy.

Mr. Gela

Discord: theo#7722
Personally, unless the type really empowers the plot or setting, I think they are a bad idea. Off the top of my head I can only think of Pokémon Uranium doing this well. It's not just a new "Glow", "Light", etc type, but one that is easy to identify when you're battling against it, has simple type-match-ups and is very important to the story. Meanwhile, I've seen a few people justify a "Sound" type saying it would balance the type-chart or that "it just makes sense". I have to disagree with both. Adding more types isn't exactly the best way to balance the match-ups. If anything, people should drop the idea of messing with types for the sake of "balance", and make the Pokémon with weak type combinations stronger on their own, whether it's through moves or stats alone. Messing with the type-chart is a very delicate thing to do because you mess with something every Pokémon player already knows. Even though I like innovation on mechanics a lot, the type chart is one place where I'd rather keep it as it is.

Domiok

Local Goof
I think that new types are a difficult feature to pull off without confusing the player with identity changes and new battle interactions that are made by the new type and without unbalancing the existing types.

This is why I believe that alternate forms crop up in a number of fan games these days; they provide a new way to experience existing Pokémon through big, dramatic changes that change the whole identity of the Pokémon rather than through minor alterations such as type changes that may not even be reflected visually. These big changes may still muddle a player's thoughts, but I think that most players would be able to adjust and to become familiar with new forms better. It takes less effort to see a skeleton Charmander and to recognize that it will be completely different than to look at what was previously an Electric type Pokémon, using the same sprite as it has used in the past, and to recall that it is now a Light type Pokémon. For me at least, beyond a Pokémon's visual design and beyond a potential signature move, the typings of a Pokémon are a key component of that Pokémon's identity. Details from EXP and EV yields to even some big things like movesets can be changed around without really affecting the Pokémon's identity, but the typing of the Pokémon is a very fragile thing to touch. Making a big change with something like an alternate form for a Pokémon immediately tells the player, "Expect something completely different from this Pokémon." Without illustrating it otherwise, a simple type change gives no immediate indication that a Pokémon's identity has changed, which can be frustrating to a player.

X/Y, of course, introduced the Fairy type and thus deserves some observation on how they integrated their type changes. Ignoring that the games introduced plenty of entirely new Pokémon with the Fairy typing, by my count, X/Y brought back three evolutionary lines that had their typings changed to Fairy: the Ralts line, the Igglybuff line, and the Azurill line. Even though the developers could have taken the opportunity to have brought back even more Pokémon with changes, I feel like they deliberately held back. The games showcase many existing Pokémon, and if the developers diluted the mix with enough Pokémon with Fairy type changes, I could definitely see veteran players starting to grow confused about the typings of familiar Pokémon and perhaps beginning to distrust what they know about the older Pokémon in the game. Introducing the Fairy type, for the most part, is notably friendlier in the early game than potential other new types. Fairy moves are super effective against Fighting, Dark, and Dragon Pokémon, and Fairy Pokémon are weak to Poison and Steel moves. These typings are not all too common in the early game, giving players more time to acclimate to the fact that there is a new type in the game without much consequence. Even if they see a Ralts on Route 102 of Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, it's not likely that they're going to get blasted by a Fairy move that crushes their teams. Instead, as many players do, they're going to catch the Ralts and learn quickly and safely that it's gained a Fairy typing. I'm not fully familiar with how Light Pokémon traditionally impact the typing chart, but I can imagine that it messes with interactions between some of the common elemental types. That can really mess up a player's introduction into a game when they get hit by some hard moves unexpectedly or even get knocked out.

I haven't played Sun and Moon yet, so I can't really talk about what they do too much. By what I can tell from the spoilers that I know, the developers crafted alternate forms for Pokémon that do indeed convey big changes in identity. Some are not as immediately comprehensible (looking at you, Alolan Exeggutor), but others such as Alolan Vulpix make clear sense to the player. Not only can I see Alolan Vulpix and notice that it has changed, but I can also tell that it has swapped to an Ice type by how it looks. If I ran across a Kricketot that picked up a Sound typing early in a fan game, I may very likely fail to tell that this Kricketot is any different before taking some heavy punishment. Live and learn, but now I'm going to be wary about most familiar Pokémon that I encounter in the game.

I won't act like I'm a metagame expert either. Other users have commented on the difficulty in balancing the type effectiveness table. Most types have the weaknesses and strengths that they do to both balance game progression as well as to suggest different qualities about a whole type of Pokémon. It is certainly possible to introduce a new type that does not suffer from balancing issues; however, with the number of types available in the games, a new type has a fine, meticulous line to walk.

I'm not wholeheartedly advocating for alternate forms or rallying against new types in fan games. I think that new types can certainly be introduced as effectively if not more so than the Fairy type of the main games or than the Nuclear type of Pokémon Uranium. If anything, I think that a developer should treat new types cautiously and should introduce them as a way to complement the game world.

I'm probably exaggerating the impact of type changes in games, but I just figured that I would explain what I had in mind. Let me know what you think.

Fontbane

Not a Russian Troll
You don't really need new types. Telling you from experience, it's really hard to balance all 18 types in a Pokèdex. I can't imagine having to add a 19th or even a 20th. There's only so many Dex spaces, and making sure there's enough of each type is already hard enough. If you really think you can handle it, go ahead, but just be sure it doesn't detract from the other types.

Hematite

Trainer
I'm really not a big fan of new types, personally; they're not such a huge turnoff that I will or won't play a game based on their existence, but it's definitely more often a con than a pro in my eyes, and I die a little inside every time I see Light, Sound or Cosmic proposed because everyone has the same ideas about them. OTL
That said (and I'm going to be running with Sound as my example here, but only because it's a common and familiar idea and works well to express what I mean; please please please find something else to which to apply this if you do consider this), I'm kind of fascinated by the idea of a type that breaks the rules of what a Pokémon type does and strongly influences the way Pokémon are used as a result.
To give an example of this, say you're using a Sound type. The primary issue with Sound is that sound as a usage method encompasses so many different types. A bunch of people have already explained this: are you really going to tell players that Bug Buzz isn't Bug-type because it's Sound? And rob the few viable Bug-types of one of their best STAB moves? Hyper Voice being Normal-type is great for Pixilate users - you can't seriously mean to take this away and make it Sound instead of Fairy and boosted for them! But what if there weren't any Sound-type moves? Instead of having STAB on Sound-type moves, Sound-type Pokémon could get a 50% boost on all moves that are blocked by Soundproof (just like Mega Launcher gives a 50% boost on aura and pulse moves).
Something like this would completely change the way Sound-type Pokémon are used and make them a lot more interesting. Now you have a Pokémon that has functional STAB on more than two types - that's a very rare occurrance, and we see from Greninja and Mega Blastoise that it's very important to how the Pokémon is used (without Mega Launcher, Mega Blastoise would never have reason to run Dragon Pulse over Ice Beam, would it?). But as compensation, they have fewer options (most damage categories are smaller than types), and you could make Sound a bad defensive type with an unusually high number of weaknesses and low number of resistances, so it's no stronger than any type and is still about equal.
Maybe that's not the best example, and you really need to plainly define what moves are affected (players who know about STAB will not think a Sound-type Pokémon gets STAB on the Bug-type Bug Buzz, and might make decisions accordingly - you have to show clearly and conveniently what moves get boosted and you have to make sure players are aware of this exception). In general, making exceptions to things as important as types should be done carefully. And I haven't put very much thought into this concept myself, because I personally have no intention of using it, nor of adding any new types of my own, so there are loads of issues I'm sure I'm neglecting here. But as an example, I hope this gets across what I mean - a gimmicky type that acts as an exception and changes how you think about a Pokémon and makes you reconsider your existing ideas about types would be more interesting to me, as a player, than an expected type that puts a Pokémon in a different position but ultimately only changes what you use it against.
I also really liked Uranium's Nuclear type, because it was similarly interesting and gimmicky: you get super effective STAB on the majority of types because every type bar Steel is weak to it, but you're easily countered because literally everything faster or can take a hit will be able to hit you with its own super effective damage. It makes you reconsider existing ideas (Steel becomes a lot more important and you'll likely want to get a Steel-type on your team; with dual-types, you're more careful about when to send them out because this is a sweeping double-weakness across nearly every dual-type and not just an individual issue one member of your team faces and another covers; some Nuclear-type moves are weaker in power than standard type counterparts to compensate, but not so much so that the type advantage is redundant) and it was, honestly, fantastically implemented and addressed in the story and properly shown to the player.
There are a lot of things you can do with types, but in general, I'm a lot more interested in types that change the way you think about things, and players can usually still learn a gimmick pretty easily (the Sound example is as simple as "I don't have to learn how it matches up offensively, but I do have to learn what moves get a boost;" the Nuclear example is "super effective offensively to every type with exactly one exception and weak defensively to every type"). I think that if you have a really interesting idea that (cough) not every second fangame developer is using (cough), you should go for it, and you can worry about making sure players understand it as you go; you'll probably attract new players with an uncommon gimmick, while you're often deterring a large number of potential fans if you add a type for the sake of adding a type and scarcely put more thought into it than matchups and slapping it on Pokémon and moves of your choice. Which I think is evident from the disdain throughout this thread for types handled in just such a way.
Again, I'm not adding any new type in my project and I as a player usually prefer when fangames stick to the canon type chart, but I thought I'd offer this point of view because I think it's something that could actually make a new type go from "ugh, so what are Light's matchups in THIS one?" to "ohh, huh, I kinda want to try this!"
A nyway,
yes! XP

zarexraze

Novice
As someone who is actively planning to add two new types into my project, I will add a few things to this thread.

Firstly, that is a very, VERY tempting way of doing the Sound-type, @Hematite. If I hadn't finalized my type chart, I would have done that idea in a heartbeat.

Secondly, I am very well aware of the implications, issues, and altogether madness of doing type additions. When I started, my head canon was making the Virus-type work, but after tons of research and lots, and I mean LOTS of back-tracking and further analysis, I eventually came to the Sound and Mystery-types.
Now as to why I wanted to do a new type in the first place, it was not for the sake of a new type. I agree, that would be dumb, unless it's some form of a interesting gimmick, like Nuclear-type.
The reason why I decided on going through with new type additions was simple: I do not want the same exact meta and game as the official products. Now yes, major mechanics and features like weather, Mega Evolutions, Z-Moves, EVs and IVs, etc. would still be present. And I am also assuming that every official Pokemon species, form, Mega, and variant will be present.

HOWEVER, all of those will be subject to some form of tweaking and change. For example, Mega Evolutions will no longer be a set 100+ stat boost, instead varying between the species, with the idea being that Pokemon with lower stat totals will gain a lot through Mega Evolution, and those with already high stat totals will gain much less, with an all together average gain of about 70+ stats.
I will also be tweaking many and various abilities (like adding Cacophony as the new Soundproof, with the original now being a true immunity to Sound-type attacks) and I'll even be tweaking some official designs to not only help augment the game to make it stand out, but to also help the Sound and Mystery-types stand on their own. For example, the entirety of the Ralts evolutionary line has designs inspired by ballerinas and French dancers. However, this would conflict heavily with the connotations set by my own version of the Sound-type. So as a result, I'll be tweaking their designs just slightly to now give off a vibe of wizard robes and gnomes rather then dancers. They will still have their names, typings of Psychic/Fairy (or Psychic/Fighting in Gallades case), and relative move pools, but now the concepts and inspirations of those ballerinas and French performers can now be allocated to the Sound-type.

So all in all, I have committed my entire project for the whole central purpose of creating a Pokemon experience that's different and familiar at the same time, and the addition of two new types, rounding it up to a nice even twenty, will further aid me in that venture. But man is it going to be tedious, I'm not going to lie. If someone else wishes to pursue the venture of doing a new type, take the words of the above posts and heed them well. Types, as a whole, are not an easy task.

TheGamingPaladin

TheGamingPaladin - Youtuber, Foodie, Gamer 4 Life
i just think that we're all good in the realm of Types as far as the Pokemon franchise is concerned, what we need is some more balancing to make ALL pokemon relevant in the end game.

Jephed

Trainer
I've been thinking about making a type that's weak to normal types. (it's just a thought though)
Do you guys think it's worth buffing up Normal types by adding a new type?
I guess the Normal type would lose it's specialty of just lacking super effective STAB, but I do think the normal type deserves a buff of some sorts.

TheGamingPaladin

maybe Normal Type Moves need an upgrade overall, since they never gain Super-Effective STAB (3x Base Damage) at the moment there is VERY few Normal Type Moves that i rely on as anything more than Slot Filler.

Return, Facade, Body Slam, Stomp, Hyper Beam and Giga Impact. (Note i rarely use the last two because of the 1-Turn Recharge)

Evan

game director, Pokémon Sea & Sky
Actually I found that normal's boost came in the form of Sound-class attacks (Hyper Voice, for instance) that can bypass substitutes. I think capitalizing more on those moves and making sure later game Normal type moves get advantages can help strike that balance.

Seriously a STAB Boomburst is something to fear.

TheGamingPaladin

meh, unless the pokemon is a special sweep Normal Type, Hyper Voice doesnt appeal to me, and Boomburst is an exclusive move to Exploud.

Jephed

Trainer
maybe Normal Type Moves need an upgrade overall, since they never gain Super-Effective STAB (3x Base Damage) at the moment there is VERY few Normal Type Moves that i rely on as anything more than Slot Filler.

Return, Facade, Body Slam, Stomp, Hyper Beam and Giga Impact. (Note i rarely use the last two because of the 1-Turn Recharge)

Actually I found that normal's boost came in the form of Sound-class attacks (Hyper Voice, for instance) that can bypass substitutes. I think capitalizing more on those moves and making sure later game Normal type moves get advantages can help strike that balance.

Seriously a STAB Boomburst is something to fear.

That is very true. Though the list of pokémon that can learn boom burst for example is not that large (and kinda for good reason, because it is so good) I just want to make the typing itself a bit more useable. mainly for the Pokémon I don't see being picked as a team member on their team. Pokémon like Persian, Zangoose or Delcatty (Which got a well-deserved boost in gen 7)
While the sound boost is very nice imo, for some reason I feel like it could have a little more. for instance moves like TheGamingPaladin stated won't have such a boost.

TheGamingPaladin

That is very true. Though the list of pokémon that can learn boom burst for example is not that large (and kinda for good reason, because it is so good) I just want to make the typing itself a bit more useable. mainly for the Pokémon I don't see being picked as a team member on their team. Pokémon like Persian, Zangoose or Delcatty (Which got a well-deserved boost in gen 7)
While the sound boost is very nice imo, for some reason I feel like it could have a little more. for instance moves like TheGamingPaladin stated won't have such a boost.

indeed, as the moves i listed are already pretty powerful on their own, Facade is 140 Base Power if Pokemon is Burned, Paralyzed or Poisoned, and Returns Base Power is 105 with Max Friendship.

Back