• Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly! You can learn how to add images to your posts here.

Thoughts on Pokemon Glazed

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 1628
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 1628

Hello, welcome to my first opinion thread. I'll be giving my thoughts on Pokemon Glazed. I hope to talk about other hacks in the future as well. This post will feel a little rough around the edges, but I hope to improve with subsequent posts.

Also please note that I will be talking about the regular version of Pokemon Glazed and not Blazed Glazed or Glazed Reborn.

You can download Pokemon Glazed here.

Pokemon Glazed by Redriders180 aka Luc Bui is an Emerald ROM hack. It is often regarded as the best Pokemon ROM hack, and with good reason.

The general plot is that you're a 10 year old starting in the region of Tunod (donut backwards), and you have to stop the Pokemon world and real world from colliding. On your journey you will encounter various rivals and foes. Like a Pikachu bent on revenge.

The game has 3 regions. Tunod, Johto, and Rankor. Tunod is a full, new region. You also get to go through Johto which is really cool to experience it in a new way, and sort of like Kanto in Gold and Silver, Johto has changed quite a bit too, and in a way acts a sort of sequel to Gold and Silver. Rankor is a smaller region that consists of 6 islands. It has 4 gyms, and a really tough final boss in place of an Elite 4. Tunod and Johto do have their Elite 4s, but Rankor just has a champion.

The game has a lot of content. 3 regions, 20 gyms, 3 leagues, and a main campaign that will take quite awhile to complete. That does lead to a few problems though. The leveling curve is a bit unbalanced because of the game's length. It starts out hard, and then get easier as the game progresses. I believe Blazed Glazed alleviates this issue to an extent. As for the game's pacing, it's about as good a game this length can get. At no point did I feel like the game was dragging on. Each region feels like a chapter. Tunod is chapter 1, Johto is chapter 2, and Rankor is chapter 3. There are also some mini games and side quests you can do as well. It'll keep you busy for awhile.

Pokemon Glazed is relatively bug free other than some minor graphical glitches. The worst bug I found involved the 3 legendary beasts at the Brass Tower. They're supposed to appear randomly on the roof, but they didn't spawn, forcing me to use a walk through walls cheat to get them.

Pokemon Glazed lacks polish in certain areas. Like for example: the doors don't open. Your character simply phases through them. But that's nitpicking at this point. One thing I didn't like is that when you get to Johto, some TMs start functioning similarly to HMs. So you end up having to waste move slots. But at least TMs are forgettable and reusable in Glazed. But it is still kind of annoying.

There are a couple other annoying things that come down to the lack of space in the game. Pokemon Glazed is a 32MB hack, and Luc Bui was quite clearly using every last bit of space he could. So because of that, some things unfortunately had to be compromised. Like you can't fly anywhere in Johto. To compensate for this, there's a teleportation system. But every time you reach a new town in Johto, you need to find the warp panel otherwise it won't get registered and you'll have to backtrack to previous areas just to register them in the teleportation menu.
Rankor also has this problem, but you can fly to the first island at least and take a boat to whichever other island you want.

Overall, Pokemon Glazed is everything you could ask for in a Pokemon game. Multiple regions, Pokemon from multiple generations, lots of content,lots of legendaries, and side quests. Best of all the game is complete. So enjoy Pokemon Glazed, because I doubt there'll be too many more ROM hacks like it.

xUMG

Hoho-oh?
I remember playing Pokémon Glazed i really loved RomHacks before i got into Fan-Games,

The game has a nice experience in it, I had loads of Pokémon in my PC which i switched over depending on what gym i'm fighting, While i was going through the adventure i started catching all the Legendary Pokémons that was possible to catch, I picked a Riolu as a starter which i Mega Evolved to a Mega Lucario.
The first gym sure was hard till i got the hang of the game with strategies (i don't care about ev training having good ivs and such), I captured all of the possible to catch eeveelutions, I tried to catch as much Pokémon that can Mega Evolve.

I can't really say anything bag about the game BUT i can't seem to do a nuzloke on it.....
Although i got annoyed on trying to get that Wish Ticket...

Last edited:

harry74

Rookie
Pokemon Glazed : 3 regions, 20 badges, a story that has its flaws and its peaks but mostly enjoyable, some relatable characters as well, physical/special split... it is complete and has enough content on its own. I was very skeptical from the 4th badge to the 15th for various reasons

Back