• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Learning a particular move upon evolution

Resource Learning a particular move upon evolution 2017-02-16

Mr. Gela

Discord: theo#7722
Kiedisticelixer submitted a new resource:

Learning a particular move upon evolution - Translating a new evolution feature to Pokémon Essentials.

What's this?
In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, a certain mechanic was introduced for the first time: Upon evolution, certain (and most) species will always learn a special move. For example, no matter at what level does your Alolan Pikachu evolve, Alolan Raichu will always attempt to learn Psychic.

Design notes
This is particularly useful for Pokémon that gain a type after evolving, as they might not have an appropriate STAB to use afterwards. For example, in Generation 6,...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:

Sergiofr_18

Rookie
Hi guys! If you are having problems with this resource and you're using EBS, I have the solution!

First, go to EliteBattle_Scene, and look for "for i in movelist", as Kiedisticelixer does in the original post. You'll see this:

Code:
	for i in movelist
		if i[0] == @pokemon.level
		 # learning new moves
		 pbLearnMove(@pokemon,i[1],true) { self.update }
		 end
	 end

Add this below "for i in movelist":

Code:
		if i[0] ==0
			 pbLearnMove(@pokemon,i[1],true) { self.update }
		 end

The reason why this didn't work without editing EBS' scripts, is because it uses its own evolution scene. Because of that, you have to edit that scene instead of the original one.

Credits to:
Kiedisticelixer
Luka S.J. (thanks for helping me with this ^^)

Feutorrr

Rookie
I hate to necro but I ran into a peculiar bug that uses this feature. So what I am trying to do is this:
Moves=0,THUNDERSHOCK,0,TAILSLAP,1,LICK,10,SCRATCH,20,GROWL,30,SWIFT,40,QUICKATTACK,50,THUNDERSHOCK,50,TAILSLAP

As you can see here I am trying to have an evolved pokemon have the moves Thundershock and Tailslap both as its Evo moves but also in their move set as long as you catch a wild lvl 50+ version of it. This does not work and the moveset of a wild lvl 50 version always consists of Scratch, Growl, Swift and Quickattack. For some reason, it changes the lvl at which it learns Thundershock and Tailslap to lvl 1. Because when I spawn a lvl 1 version of this Pokemon, it has both Thundershock and Tailslap! I am using version 17.2 of Pokemon Essentials and I was wondering if anybody can fix this issue for me as I currently have no way around it right now.

Back