• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Recruiting Pokémon Void Soul

This thread's author is looking for long-term team members.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollow_Ego

Cooltrainer
Short Description
Looking to recruit: Audio Artist, Visual Artist, Puzzle Creator
Project Title: Pokémon Void Soul
Engine: Pokémon Essentials v19
Team Members: Melon Pope (Spriter), okok (Mapper), Splaex (Storywriter), Emvepe (Character Artist) ,Myelf (Coder)
Method of Contact: via Discord or PM
Additional Information: Additional spriters and mappers are always welcome. If you got any other skills you can bring to the table, let us know.
File Sharing: Currently via Github, but solutions can be found for those who are not comfortable with it

Background
This game is a rework of Pokémon Hollow. You might wonder why not using the same name and make it an overhaul. There are a few reasons for that:

1. Pokémon Hollow started out as fun project when I first started to learn to code. As such it wasn't really serious back then and all the ideas came over time. At the current state I'm neither satisfied with how it turned out nor with the naming of the game.

2. Pokémon Hollow has been migrated from Essentials v16 to v17 before and already got multiple breaking changes. I don't want people who already played the first chapter to keep replaying it. There will be quite some differences in what is available (menus, trainers, maps etc.) and how the starters are selected. Migrating old save files would just be too much effort for what it's worth.

3. Pokémon Hollow is quite unstructured, due to how it came to be. In order to make a good story and a good game, this will change with Pokémon Void Soul.

4. Due to feedback on Pokémon Hollow and by watching some let's plays, I noticed quite some things that can be improved, but require a lot of rewrites. I also want this to be less cringy, while still having a lot of references and easter eggs.

Plot Outline
The player is a new applicant for an organization, the Nigthfall Union, which is one of two protecting the Larua region. Larua is know for their paranormal events and their tight bond to spirits and ghosts.

The plot will focus on Hollow Pokémon, which are ancient ghost Pokémon with unique, close to the Pokédex abilities and on Universe and Dimensional Rifts (UDR). The player will rise through ranks and become a Nigthfaller, a highly specialized monotype trainer, in order to stop the Hollows and find a permanent solution for the UDRs.

Unique Features
  • Custom summary screen, with extra details
  • New abilities, that make the Pokémon match their Pokédex entries better (currently only for Hollows)
  • 18 possible starters (one for each type)
  • Multiple Moves are usable for dealing with overworld challenges
  • No badges, but ranks (trust of the Pokémon in the trainers abilities) are used to determine what overworld moves can be used
  • Pokémon can have different abilities and types and/or more than 2
  • Some trainers have a chance to have a team, that is already afflicted by status problems or has lost health

Current Progress
In order to approach this whole project in a structured way, there is a document outlining the game world, including the lore, the people living in there and some more details about certain characters. So far we are at 47 pages. The plot for chapter 1 and chapter 2 is done. Some parts of the document need to be revisited, ever since we decided to use Essentials v19. No coding has been done on the new version, but some parts are reusable from Pokémon Hollow (like the Summary Screen).

Next Steps
Once the outline for all chapters is written and all required places are known, we want to write down all the dialog or more like the whole script. Parallel to that, the mapping and the coding can start, as well as the music composing.

The ultimate goal is to have as much details written down as possible. I want to have some sort of manifest, that helps orientate ourselves during development. This would ensure that we don't keep coming up with new ideas, that we try to push in even though they don't fit in there.

Screenshots
Those are from the latest version of Pokémon Hollow. The summary style of the summary screen is what I want to go with, unless a better one is suggested. Still they give a sense of what is to come.

capture203.png
capture204.png

capture200.png
capture128.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back